[SOLVED] (Solved) Can landline wiring be used for ethernet?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Hi. It's my first time here, I have a question and Google hasn't been useful for me so far.
My house has landline phone cables going through the walls, I think it's to setup multiple phones but we only have one and it's not connected to those wires

There's a jack in my room where my computer is so I was wondering if I could run ethernet over those cables as the router is located in the living room downstairs and I'm upstairs, wi-fi signal and speed is awful and it keeps disconnecting in the middle of downloads or online classes which is a problem.

My idea is to run a cable from the router to the jack that's downstairs then another cable from the jack upstairs into my computer. As far as I know RJ11 connectors fit the RJ45 ports present on both the router and computer.

The wall jacks have 4 wires coloured brown, light brown, red and green.

I can't get a better router as it's too expensive for me (I'm a college student) and I borrowed a kit of powerline adapters from a friend and it's even worse than wi-fi.

BTW speed isn't a concern, I've read some people saying RJ11 is limited to regular 10Mbit/sec ethernet, well that won't be a problem as our service is only 1Mbit/sec.

Thanks.

Solution
After re-reading what wires you have--you won't be able to re-wire it--you only have 4 wires. You'll need to look up what the wiring spec was for 10base-T and you might have a shot of it working if the pairs are twisted:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_physical_layer#Early_implementations_and_10_Mbit/s

If you can run a network cable you can go as far as 100m so I think it should be long enough.

That's good that the phone wires aren't cut--but if you've got working phone signal coming through on those, you will also need to rewire that as you can't have ethernet over the phone line. The vdsl extenders I used before did allow this though--you plug the phone into the unit and could still use the phone line.

So the...

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
The dish is actually the most sophisticated, advanced and the most expensive part. Currently, it's believed that Starlink is taking a loss on the Dish package for $500. Instead of using a motor to rotate the dish(motors fail), it electronically aims the dish with radar technology called "Phased-Array." This is the same technology used in Fighter Jets. The dish also has a built in heater to prevent snow build up in winter. On a normal day the dish uses 100watts constant power. With traditional satellite being much further away, the angle allows you to just point a standard dish towards the satellite and it can keep a constant lock. But with starlink, being low orbit, the angle changes drastically so the antenna must constantly be optimized.

So far, starlink has no data cap and is unlimited. That may be re-evaluated in the future if things get overly congested.
So it's not like the regular dishes.-
The heater though would be useless for someone like me since, well, there's no snow here, just rain and heat ^^

The only cards I've found to remove 10Base-T are 2.5/5/10GBase-T and 10G in general, so I think this should work with any <1Gbps nic.
Don't worry, the tech I'm using is decades behind first world standards, gigabit or 10G is science fiction material.
Good thing is that's simple enough for even someone like me to tinker with it and get it working, less complex hardware is usually easier to assemble or repair and allowed me to get a working internet connection by only replacing a couple of jacks.

Don't worry, the tech I'm using is decades behind first world standards, gigabit or 10G is science fiction material.
Good thing is that's simple enough for even someone like me to tinker with it and get it working, less complex hardware is usually easier to assemble or repair and allowed me to get a working internet connection by only replacing a couple of jacks.
That is one thing that is good about older tech--everything has already been done and is documented. I have no problem finding out exactly what my older lga775 Dell desktops can upgrade to because I get tons of search results of people years ago doing all that trial and error before me. :)