Question [SOLVED]Comcast With a Switch Problem[CLOSE]

Apr 7, 2019
Okay, so I called comcast and asked them about my bill to get a better rate and they upgraded me to a 400 Mbps package for cheaper and sent me a new router which only supplies 2 Ethernet outlets. My problem is I have 2 Desktops, plus 2 xbox one's I want to hardwire. So I purchased a TP-LINK TL-SG108 Ethernet switch(unmanaged). My only problem is on the new router with the 'switch' I receive Moderate NAT type with 0% packet loss. If i plug in my old router from them (with 4 Ethernet ports built in) and still use the Switch I get all NAT type OPEN but i still have 1% packet loss which sucks. UP\DL speeds are similar and latency are lower than the new one.

Should I request one of the 4 newer capable Ethernet\Router (to eliminate the packet loss) (If available ) or use the 'new' router they sent me and sacrifice the NAT type or upgrade?
Could I have possibly opened the ports for xbox in the past on the old router (it wont let me access it if i try the standard login\pass since the new upgrade) and forgot to Port Forward on the new Router to make it open NAT ?

OLD model Router: TG1682G
NEW model Router : CGM4140COM
SWITCH: TP-LINK TL-SG108

If any other info is requested please let me know.

Thanks

If new box won't let u port forward, this will be enough reason to get something else.

Seasoned networkers buy their own modem rather than paying Comcast rent, typically can recover cost in 6-9 months, Comcast maintains a list of modems that are compatible with their network.

Many of us prefer PLAIN MODEM and a separate NAT/Wifi router box for simplicity and flexibility.

Apr 7, 2019
I can get into the new router, just not the older to access my old Port-Forwards unfortunately(havent changed in 7-10 years).

Do you have any good recommendations on a solid router?........ $11\month plus tax is becoming a joke.... I have had to replace my box 3 times in 1 year due to poor packet loss and constant crashes, they say they need to re-wire my house but thats 550+ installation which is ridiculous, but maybe a solid router can solve that problem?

Your first step is to look and see what the ISP allows. It has slight variations because comcast has acquired many other cable companies over the years. Many of the ARRIS modems are on their list but again the exact ones depend a bit which is why they ask for address when you search.

I would buy a separate modem and router. Buying combined units greatly limits your choice. Which router you want quickly gets into how fancy a box you want. Do you need/want stuff like NAS or anti virus etc etc or do you just need a basic unit.

The big problem I see is both the unit you list have telephone ports. If you buy a bundled service with phone you are pretty much stuck with renting the router. Because the phone takes special configurations to work they lock you out of that part of the router. If you owned the router you likely could bypass their lock out of that part of the firmware. Not sure they tend to never allow you to activate a device with phone ports on their network so it is hard to say how much hacking you can really do.

If you do not use the phone service then you can just buy a modem off their list. If you do use the phone service I would strongly consider some other option. There are many VoIP services if you want a "landline". One of the better known is something like magicjack but there are a huge number. Many people have just gone completely to cell phones.

TRENDING THREADS