[SOLVED] [SOLVED] Computer keeps freezing BUT not while gaming...!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 13, 2019
Here my issue: I recently updated my system for a Ryzen 5 2600 CPU installed on a Gigabyte B450M DS3H motherboard paired with 2x 8gb of Team Elite Plus DDR4 2400 memory. I haven't reinstalled Windows that being said because everything seemed to be working fine.

After a little while, my computer started to freeze and reboot itself for no apparent reason without a single warning while browsing on the internet (no matter what browser I was using). Even freezing while simply listening to some music. The weird part is that I can play Battlefield V for 7 hours straight without a single hic up but can't surf the internet for more than 45 minutes straight if I'm lucky!!! WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL!?!?

So far I only tried each of the memory dimm alone and both time my computer froze. On gigabyte's website there is some BIOS updates but nothing about ram compatibility or CPU.

Again, I can play for endless hours on BFV without a single issue but can't do light tasks for more than 45 minutes...

Thank you!

Solution
The "updated my system" and "haven't reinstalled Windows" immediately prompts questions. Generally speaking, if the motherboard is changed then a reinstallation of Windows is advised as there could be a lot of old drivers which no longer apply.

Strange behaviour with gaming being unaffected though.
Feb 13, 2019
Here a little update:

1) According to a friend of mine, my MOBO and its chipset are really picky on the RAM that can be installed on it. Maybe I'll have to order new RAM...

2) According to the same guy, my Windows 10 version is pretty old, too old to manage correctly all this new hardware. Eventho Windows updates itself, it might never be able to catch up with all the newest updates. In other words, formating my SSD and reinstalling Windows with my DVD from autumn 2016 wasn't a good idea.

Tonight I'll be reinstalling windows with the MediaCreationTool 1809 directly out of Microsoft's official website wich is much much more up to date. I'll keep everyone posted here.

The Ryzen 2000 series should be better with different RAM than the 1000 series. So before ordering new RAM find out the precise part number of the RAM you do have, it can then be cross referenced with the QVL from Gigabyte's site.

I'm sceptical of the Windows claim. I'm sure we would have seen a lot of such claims on the forums here if that were true, and some of the tech media outlets. But installing the newest build of Windows 10 is preferable to the downloading afterwards.

Feb 13, 2019
After reinstalling Windows 10 (earliest version available) with the MediaCreation tool, nothing improved... Same issue. We discovered that, according to the mobo ram compatibility QVL list, mine isn't on that list... How on Earth was I suppose to know about a freakin' compatbility list for bare bone cheap a%# RAM for such a brand new CPU... I'll probably order a new set of RAM soon and try that out... It's gonna be at the end of the month tho since I'm leaving soon the country for a little trip. I'll keep you posted afterward!

One thing to try before ordering RAM is using PCPartPicker. Find your motherboard model, then see if there are people who have built a PC with it. Look at the RAM they're using; this should give some indication whether a particular RAM kit works with the motherboard. Userbenchmark has a similar functionality but not as obvious.

Reactions: JNB89
Feb 13, 2019
Finally, problem solved: it was my MOBO that was defect.

A friend of mine had a spare one of a different brand and now my PC works like a charm without any hicups.

My new mobo is an ASUS Prime A320M-K wich, supposedly, needed a BIOS update to run 2nd Gen Ryzen processors but it worked right of the bat luckily for me!

Thank you all for your help!