[SOLVED] Ethernet cable plugged in but no internet (Ubuntu 18.04)

May 20, 2018
No lights near the ethernet port even when cable is plugged in. Same ethernet cable works on a windows 10 laptop (and works also when using live usb with Ubuntu 18.04 on it)

content of: /etc/network/interfaces:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow hotplug eno1
iface eno1 inet dhcp

content of:
/run/network/ifstate

lo=lo
eno1=eno1

sudo ifup eno1 returns

Internet System Consortium DHCP Client 4.3.
Copyright 2004-2016 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/eno1/70:54:d2:c4:37:8e
Sending on LPF/eno1/70:54:d2:c4:37:8e
Sending on Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on eno1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3 ( xid=0x60dab35f)
... and keeps sending that with different intervals for a while, until
No DHCPOFFERS received.
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

router: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

ip link show eno1
2: eno1: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
link/ether 70:54:d2:c4:37:8e brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

lspci | grep Network
00.19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 04)

Solution
Okay this was REALLY weird. Figured out that if the network cable lights turned off just as I opened it, then there is a problem with the BIOS NOT Ubuntu. So I went into the BIOS, apparently I had to enable Secondary LAN. Which is really weird. Added a new link named rename3, added to /etc/network/interfaces
allow hotplug rename3
iface rename3 inet dhcp and then did sudo ifup rename3 and it SOLVED it immediately. Why was enabling secondary LAN I have NO idea.
May 20, 2018

It might be the earlier.... I tried turning the pc off, cutting it from the power source, waiting 2 mins, put it back on, the light seemed to be there, my router was detecting a second connected device(there is only my laptop + this pc), but when I turned it on the light disappeared....

May 20, 2018
Okay this was REALLY weird. Figured out that if the network cable lights turned off just as I opened it, then there is a problem with the BIOS NOT Ubuntu. So I went into the BIOS, apparently I had to enable Secondary LAN. Which is really weird. Added a new link named rename3, added to /etc/network/interfaces
allow hotplug rename3
iface rename3 inet dhcp and then did sudo ifup rename3 and it SOLVED it immediately. Why was enabling secondary LAN I have NO idea.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS