[SOLVED] (SOLVED) Gigabyte RTX 2080 SUPER OC. Blackscreen + Fans at full speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkForceX

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
Hello.

I noticed in Gpu-Z that the gpu's max voltage usage was around 0.8680 while i read in google that most people talk about the same card with 950v /1.100v / 1.250v etc. And i also noticed much lower clock speeds as i was used to (around 1950+) i'm having the idea that the gpu doesn't get enough volts due to being defect or maybe just dead. or either a problem with the PSU itself or connectors. affording a new gpu is pain in the backside these days so i don't want to give up on this gpu yet. so i almost hope that the problem is due to power connector cables or the psu.

My user benchmark results were like this: (Also to show my full system specs)

UserBenchmarks: Game 142%, Desk 109%, Work 129%

PSU: Evga 750 Watt Gold
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - 104.4%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080S (Super) - 134.5%
SSD: Samsung 980 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 468.2%
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - 115.1%
SSD: Kingston SA400S37960G 960GB - 102.6%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 C16 4x8GB - 98.2%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-B550M DS3H
Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5

GPU test didn't do that bad at that test. But i do run into blackscreen + fans max speed problem during gaming between 5 to 30 minutes. all Temps are below suggested limits.

Things i tried:
Renew gpu thermal paste,
installed a fresh windows 11.
installed the newest nvidia graphic driver using nvcleaninstall and also geforce experience.
reseated power connectors from psu to gpu.

So my question is. If i will get to know that the GPU is indeed the problem causer. What could i try to fix it without spending a amount which i could afford a new gpu for?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
PSU: Evga 750 Watt Gold
EVGA is the brand of the PSU while 750 is the advertised wattage of the unit. Likewise gold is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating. What is the model of the unit and how old is the PSU in your system?

installed a fresh windows 11
Did you recreate the bootable USB installer for the OS to rule out a corrupt installer? Installed the OS in offline mode? If you haven't, use DDU to remove all GPU drivers from your platform and then manually install the latest GPU driver sourced from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
reseated power connectors from psu to gpu.
Are there cable extensions involved here? If so, please remove them and check again.

Your symptoms are similar to what was going on with 30 series cards:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRyyCsuHFQ
(it's shown during the first few minutes of the video)

They note that the culprits are between the gpu, psu, and even mobo. So, entirely hardware related.
You probably can't avoid doing some part swaps to get to the bottom of this.

DarkForceX

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
The problem went away after undervolting the GPU in MSI Afterburner from 1.0500v to 0.900v and clock speed at 1900mhz, i will try some different volts and/or clock speeds to find the best range of ballance. (I was wrong about the max voltage i described in my first post) so it was actually 1.0500v. I'm not a expert about too much details of such subjects but it seems like the stock OC settings of the manufacturer are not stable at all. And has to be set manually. While i was searching for a solution i came across loads of topics of different mostly next gen graphic cards having same issue.

Thank you very much for your responses!

This is the tutorial i followed.

Undervolting 2080 Super GPU

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.