Question Solved: Help with troubleshooting memory upgrade

Aug 3, 2022
Hello All,

So here's what my son gave me and I'm trying to increase memory.

Motherboard MSI X99S Mpower
CPU Intel i7-5820K
Original memory Corsair CMK16GX4M4A2666C16 4 - 4GB modules

It booted fine in this configuration. I cleared CMOS and changed to the following.

Corsair CMK32GX4M4A2666C16 4 -8gb modules.

With these in I get to errors on motherboard status display.
Error 04 then it goes to error 55. it keeps cycling back and forth between them.

If I put original modules back in it boots fine.

On MSI site it shows the new modules I am trying to install are compatible.

HELP!!!!

Thanks,
Ed

D

Deleted member 362816

What memory slots are you using for the 4 sticks? Was that a kit that came together or 2x kits paired together?

Reactions: eac67gt
Aug 3, 2022
Just tried. Same problem. With original memory I could put one stick in slot 1 and it actually started booting. If I do that with the new memory it does same failure. I also have slightly faster Corsair sticks here also that are 8gb each and if I try them I get the same error. Also tried even faster Oloy sticks my son has and same. It's like you try to go over that 4gb per slot it doesn't want to run.

D

Deleted member 362816

Just tried. Same problem. With original memory I could put one stick in slot 1 and it actually started booting. If I do that with the new memory it does same failure. I also have slightly faster Corsair sticks here also that are 8gb each and if I try them I get the same error. Also tried even faster Oloy sticks my son has and same. It's like you try to go over that 4gb per slot it doesn't want to run.

pretty weird issue overall.

Error 55 is Early memory initialization.

Pair one stick of old ram in 1 with one new in 5 reports what it does.

Aug 3, 2022
I might have to put original memory back in and look at bios version and update if needed.

I appreciate the help you are giving me.

I am disabled from brain surgery former technician for Honeywell. I troubleshot programmable controllers for 35 years. I can still sort of work on electronics but have trouble some times stepping through troubleshooting.

Ed

D

Deleted member 362816

I might have to put original memory back in and look at bios version and update if needed.

I appreciate the help you are giving me.

I am disabled from brain surgery former technician for Honeywell. I troubleshot programmable controllers for 35 years. I can still sort of work on electronics but have trouble some times stepping through troubleshooting.

Ed

Won't hurt to update the bios if it needs it. Worth a try.

D

Deleted member 362816

If you introduce any stick higher then 4gb it fails. I have tried this combination you suggested and it fails.

I have seen some similar reports with MSI x99 boards online with similar issues their fix was replacing the CPU. That being said I don't think that is the case but I have seen weirder things in my travels. They were stating the added load on the CPU with more than 4GB per slot was causing the issue but I just don't see that being the case. Please update once the bios is updated if it needs it.

Aug 3, 2022
I have seen some similar reports with MSI x99 boards online with similar issues their fix was replacing the CPU. That being said I don't think that is the case but I have seen weirder things in my travels. They were stating the added load on the CPU with more than 4GB per slot was causing the issue but I just don't see that being the case. Please update once the bios is updated if it needs it.
It fixed it. My son had motherboard stored away for couple years. It was at minimum 9 versions behind.
I don't know why I didn't go this direction first because I understand processor operations and absolute need of current bios for things to keep running right.

Oh I also put in the slightly faster memory and it seems to be working fine. Have 64gb now.
I put new slower ones in slots 1 thru 4 and the faster in 5 thru 8. The bios set itself up for the profile to match the slower.

I greatly appreciate the help you gave me.

Have a great week,
Ed

D

Deleted member 362816

It fixed it. My son had motherboard stored away for couple years. It was at minimum 9 versions behind.
I don't know why I didn't go this direction first because I understand processor operations and absolute need of current bios for things to keep running right.

Oh I also put in the slightly faster memory and it seems to be working fine. Have 64gb now.
I put new slower ones in slots 1 thru 4 and the faster in 5 thru 8. The bios set itself up for the profile to match the slower.

I greatly appreciate the help you gave me.

Have a great week,
Ed

Glad the bios update worked out.