[SOLVED] [SOLVED] How to access a sub-network wifi ap through its server

auriuman78m

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
This is kind of an "Inception" style exercise I'm attempting.

Situation :
  1. On a network I control, I am running a laptop server to serve another network underneath the main network.
  2. This second network server has a different ip scheme and subnet mask from the main network.
  3. The second network has a WAP that maintains wireless connections but is only a WAP, the server handles dns and dhcp.
  4. The laptop server has two connections, eth0 and wlan0. I'm serving my 2nd network through the wired eth0 Lan and am connected to the main network via its wireless wlan0.

Problem:
Without connecting to the second network's WAP for remote management, how can I access the WAP's http management gui by going through the wlan0 connection to the main network?

Attempted ssh through ssh but that's extremely cumbersome though it does work. I can also connect wireless to the WAP for remote management but that introduces a set of security issues we'd rather not have by making the WAP management available by direct wireless connection.

Solution
The server must act as a router. This pretty much makes you network 1 network with 2 subnets. All machines can fully access each other just broadcast packets are kept separate. Depending on the server you might have to setup firewall rules between the network.

auriuman78m

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
That is what I suspected. Looks like I've got a little homework ahead of me. That's ok I love learning about this stuff. It never ceases to amaze me what electrons are capable of doing and what we're capable of doing with them.

Just to make sure I understand, I'm setting up routing rules on the server to handle traffic to and from each subnet for the WAP interface and will need to configure firewall rules to keep client traffic on the subnet contained to the subnet with the exception of the WAP port 22 and 80 / 8080 I'm trying to get to.

Sound about right?