[SOLVED] I5-8600K - High temperatures even in default setup, cooling system not assembled correctly?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Natan_2

Honorable
Feb 12, 2017
Hi,
First of all - i apologize for any grammatical mistakes, as english isn't my native langauge. Secondly, this thread gonna be pretty ''complex'' because i tried many things, and i want to give you as much details as possible. So let's get started.
List of components:

• Intel I5-8600K
    MSI Z37-A-PRO
    Be quiet! Pure Rock 1500RPM CPU Fan
    2x System Fan 1000 +/- 200RPM by Cooler Master
    Cooler Master E500L Case

So, the problem is - my temperatures are pretty much high, way to high even in default mode (around 55 C in idle, 75-86 in games). The temperatures are pretty much the same even though i'm running 3,6GHz on 1,24V, but it was the same while I overclocked it to 4,8GHz on 2,9 - 1,35V. It is pretty high, so i think there's are some possible problems:

- CPU Fan fail to get to maximum speed (during stability test in AIDA, it was at around 1k RPM)
- CPU system is not assembled correctly - my friend told my, that my CPU fan (PC was assembled by shop montage service btw) is reversed, and that my FAN from the back panel should put the air outside, and now it is putting it to the inside, pics -> https://i.imgur.com/lslAZW6.jpg // https://i.imgur.com/A7gwEgW.jpg
- I want to buy a thermal paste (Cooler Master MasterGel and put it myself, and I also want to buy 3 addition system fans) - and there's the thing. There's one fan on the back panel(120mm), one on front panel (120mm).
I want to put the front panel Fan above the CPU, like on the image http://assets.coolermaster.com/products/masterbox-e500l/img/c5.png there is around 3,5 cm space to put the fan, whilst the fan is 2,5 cm itself and add another one - it makes 3 fans (1 back panel, 2 above CPU) slot out of 4. Fourt 140mm fan on the front panel, and... as i don't have watercooling and don't have money to buy one, i would like to go with another 140mm fan plugged into PUMP connector - i heard it works, but the fan will be always on 100%, right? I mean, that should really put the temperatures down.

Thank's a lot for help! I know it's a long thread, but like i said, i tried everything, and i ran pretty much out of ideas...

Have a nice day!

Solution
@genca @ZRace and @others replying here

Problem solved.
I reinstalled the system, I did go back to Windows 8.1 (but it could be just a malware on W10, as ZRace mentionned above so it may be not really a Windows 10 issue) and I also installed 3 others fans - now it's 2x140mm on front panel pushiung air inside, 3 fans taking the air outside on the top and rear panel. Fans are at 50% speed average (more or less) , cpu fan on 350 rpm only and temp on CPU is 33 degrees, i've seen the lowest temp on my CPU was 28 degrees, so i guess it's ok. ;) CPU usage percentage is also stable now even without TaskManager.

So this is it, the mystery is solved. Big thank's to everyone responding in this thread! :)

genca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2017
Well, i dont know what to tell you. If it was me, i would remove cmos battery as you said, and see if it will change anything. If not, maybe send your cpu/mobo to your seller(i mean on warranty, or however it is called). Write similar question again, maybe some cpu/mobo experts will see it and help you.
Edit: Btw when you solve your problem, please let me know, i really want to know what the problem was.

Natan_2

Honorable
Feb 12, 2017
Yeah, that's a bit of a mystery. ;)
I even checked if the pin is plugged correctly, if i didn't plug in 180 degrees backward.
I chcecked also some watercooling, i won't put it now, or even won't put it at all if the situation changes, but just in case

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
100% CPU usage on 5 of 6 cores at idle?! Something's very off here! Did you check in the Task Manager yet? Take a look at whether there's a process with high CPU usage. I'd guess you got a program that's going haywire there.

Natan_2

Honorable
Feb 12, 2017

The strange thing is, three differents programs shows the same info - 100% core usage in 5 of 6 - AIDA/OHM/CoreTemp.
However, task manager shows 15% at max when pc is used, program info change aswell straight after i enter Task Manager, and programs shows the same valu (15%).

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
that's very strange behaviour... did you install the newest chipset drivers from MSI yet?

Perhaps also try only opening one monitoring program at once if you haven't already, they might interfere with each other.

Natan_2

Honorable
Feb 12, 2017

I'm doing it right now, reinstalling all the drivers including the chipset.
However, as i see by searching google, 100% cpu usage until task manager is open was... caused by a trojan. I really hope this isn't my case, but if it is i'll just reinstall the system.

~~~~
Edit:
Found it!
The temperatures with Task Manager closed - around 45 degrees celsius with CPU fan at 100%
The temperatures with Task Manager opened - below 35 with CPU Fan 100%, and between 36-40 with automatical settings (350-400 RPM)

100% CPU FAN = 1500RPM

Same goes for the cpu usage - 100% with TM closed, below 15 with opened.

Now the thing is - is this caused by a virus, or something else?

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
Haven't seen a similar problem so far. Perhaps a mining malware that uses you computer to do mining on your PC for someone else? And perhaps the Tool suspends itself when TM is opnened to hide itself from being discovered?

In that case, reinstalling the system should resolve the problem. But then pay attention as to which files from your old system you copy to the new system - you don't want to have the same issue again only hours after reinstalling, do you? ;)

Natan_2

Honorable
Feb 12, 2017
@genca @ZRace and @others replying here

Problem solved.
I reinstalled the system, I did go back to Windows 8.1 (but it could be just a malware on W10, as ZRace mentionned above so it may be not really a Windows 10 issue) and I also installed 3 others fans - now it's 2x140mm on front panel pushiung air inside, 3 fans taking the air outside on the top and rear panel. Fans are at 50% speed average (more or less) , cpu fan on 350 rpm only and temp on CPU is 33 degrees, i've seen the lowest temp on my CPU was 28 degrees, so i guess it's ok. ;) CPU usage percentage is also stable now even without TaskManager.

So this is it, the mystery is solved. Big thank's to everyone responding in this thread! :)

Solution