[SOLVED] Solved: I7 12700k sits at 100% usage in task manager.

Dec 31, 2021
Just upgraded my system from a i79700kf and asus prime mb z390-p to an i7 12700k with a msi z690 pro A-ddr4 mb.
I noticed task manager says my cpu is at 4.7 but bios shows it running at 3.6. It will jump around hitting 100 cpu utilization in task manager every few seconds with apps like spotify going from 2% all the way to 40% and then back down. Antimal service is a big culprit of this as well. My computer will run fine doing this and when I game it will run ok as well. Temps stay around 65 degree during a heavy gaming session. I checked and my power plan is on balanced. Never messed with it before either. Please help fix this!
Specs:
I7 12700k-msi z690 pro A-ddr4
Evga 2080 t.i
32gb adata xpg ram
H150i corsair capellix aio
Corsair rmx 850 psu
Corsair 5000x case

Solution
I use the same motherboard with windows 10.
I watch task manager on a side monitor while I do other stuff.
I have done no bios adjustments other than allowing the motherboard to do it's turbo thing .
Yes. 3.6 is the base speed of the P cores. Very normal.
I use the windows balanced power options.
That allows the multiplier and voltage to drop when little is going on and still turbo when an intense event occurs. I observe some turbos at 5.2 I also observe that the first task manager logical processor is the one that usually gets all the work first. I also observe the bottom 8 processors seem to get some activity,. I assume they might be the E cores.
Regardless, the processor is so stupid fast that it seems pointless to try to...
Don't move the drive over from one computer to another and boot into it. You should do a fresh install of the OS on a new computer to ensure you're working with a clean slate for that system.

Also BIOS locks the CPU to base speeds. It won't boost it nor will it drop the speeds to idle clocks.

Dec 31, 2021
Don't move the drive over from one computer to another and boot into it. You should do a fresh install of the OS on a new computer to ensure you're working with a clean slate for that system.

Also BIOS locks the CPU to base speeds. It won't boost it nor will it drop the speeds to idle clocks.
So I should do a fresh install? Will that erase everything on that m.2, or just Windows. Also what I meant is task manager and cpuz shows cpu qt like 4700 even though bios has it at base speed of 3600 which is odd.

I have done no bios adjustments other than allowing the motherboard to do it's turbo thing .
That allows the multiplier and voltage to drop when little is going on and still turbo when an intense event occurs. I observe some turbos at 5.2 I also observe that the first task manager logical processor is the one that usually gets all the work first. I also observe the bottom 8 processors seem to get some activity,. I assume they might be the E cores.
Regardless, the processor is so stupid fast that it seems pointless to try to improve it.

Since you are running well and temps are in control, why bother to try to fix a problem you do not have?

I also just booted from a C drive from my previous motherboard.
I updated all the drivers and have been running well.
Conventional wisdom is to do a new install and to reinstall all of your apps and settings.
That would have been a real pin for me.
Easy to recommend, harder to actually do.
I stuck with windows 10 since there seem to be some issues with win 11.
The main interest of 11 to me would be the thread director.
But, since performance is no issue, I will wait on that.

At the time of install, there was a beta bios 1.15 which I installed.
It has since been withdrawn. The current bios, released 12/13 is 1.11.
  • Support Intel Tile technology.
  • Update Intel CPU micro-code and ME.
  • Improved performance of BIOS features.
There may be something in that for you.
But, I am reluctant to update a bios except to fix a problem that is impacting me.

Reactions: Lafong
Solution
Dec 31, 2021
Regardless, the processor is so stupid fast that it seems pointless to try to improve it.

Since you are running well and temps are in control, why bother to try to fix a problem you do not have?

I also just booted from a C drive from my previous motherboard.
I updated all the drivers and have been running well.
Conventional wisdom is to do a new install and to reinstall all of your apps and settings.
That would have been a real pin for me.
Easy to recommend, harder to actually do.
I stuck with windows 10 since there seem to be some issues with win 11.
The main interest of 11 to me would be the thread director.
But, since performance is no issue, I will wait on that.

At the time of install, there was a beta bios 1.15 which I installed.
It has since been withdrawn. The current bios, released 12/13 is 1.11.
  • Support Intel Tile technology.
  • Update Intel CPU micro-code and ME.
  • Improved performance of BIOS features.
There may be something in that for you.
But, I am reluctant to update a bios except to fix a problem that is impacting me.
Thank you for your response. I guess it's the ocd in me that bothers me more than anything. Everytime I check task manager I see it saying cpu at 100% usage with apps moving around at 40% down to 3% over and over. I've never had that issue so I'm worried it's something not running properly. I also have this weird cpu red-light pop up on my mb when booting and sometimes it won't boot, but after a reset it will boot just fine. That's a serperate issue I know. I saw that the newest bios had those tags about cpu micro code ans think that might be a fix possibly. I've never flashed a mb before but I think I'll try that first. I really don't want to re install windows unless absolutely needed.
Also what's the best way to make sure all drivers are up to date? Thanks again.

The best way to make sure all of your drivers are up to date is to go to the manufacturer's website, download, and install the latest version of whatever you're actually using. Drivers rarely need updating afterwards.

I also want to comment if installing Windows is a "pain in the butt":
  • Back up your user folder somewhere, most of your applications' settings are here. Restoring the back up after installing the apps you run but before you run them for the first time will generally restore the settings you did.
  • Use https://ninite.com/ to install whatever apps you use.
  • Contrary to popular belief, a lot of apps don't need to be "installed" to be used or run properly. If the app has context menu options, the app may renable these (like 7-Zip).
I can reinstall Windows and get back up and running more or less within an hour. Usually 30-40 minutes if I'm being super minimal with my setup.

Dec 31, 2021
So update.
I did flash the newest bios which was an update past what my mb currently had. It didn't fix the cpu usage but it did fix the red mb debug light coming on sometimes when I boot. Awesome!
Today, after work I noticed under task manager that my gpu usage was also sitting at 40% while sitting on the desktop wallpaper after a fresh boot. It said nvidia container was using all 40%. So I googled that and found a forum on a random website that someone said they found a fix to the gpu usage from nvidia container. Click alt Z to open geforce overlay. Turn off instant replay record function, then go to settings, then privacy and turn off desktop recording. Then re enable instant replay record if wanted and problem fixed. So I tried it and to my astonishment it fixed it!! Cpu usage is sitting at 3-4% while idle and gpu usage at 0%. So anyone who reads this that is a possible fix. Thanks everyone who helped and responded bc it helped me fix my debug light issue, which was a seperate issue I was looking into.

TRENDING THREADS