[SOLVED] Intel i7-4770k Massive Over-heating issue

atCaleb

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016
I've been having this issue for the past couple of weeks now, where my Intel CPU tends to rise to and/or above 95°C when CPU utilization is around 0-10% on all cores. My fans are all operational and clean, as well as my CPU fan. I recently re-applied new thermal paste, using a pea sized dot.

When I put my hands by the fans, I don't much heat at all coming out. But it seems that CPUID-HWMonitor and Speccy both give me readings of my CPU at 90°C+. Could this be a faulty sensor? or is there a simpler explanation to my issue? Screenshots below.

I've also not experienced any performance issues, and have been able to play multiple types of games without crashing. I also checked my Asus BiOS and the temperature for my cpu says it's around 167 F.

P.S My main board also has the reading of 108°C+.

SCREENSHOT 1: http://prntscr.com/ap3men
SCREENSHOT 2: http://prntscr.com/ap3mhj

Solution
I would immediately! stop using your computer! 95C on idle is crazy. I'm guessing under any load its overheating and downclocking. I personally used HWMonitor for years and its very close to being accurate. If I had to guess if you are using the stock intel cooler, that one of the pegs popped out. happened to be a few times. If your using a custom cpu cooler, than something is wrong, like the lack of TIM or maybe the plastic wasn't removed before seating it.

The other option is your cpu sensor is bad, which you can easily tell in the bios. If you are reading crazy numbers and nothing is wrong with the cooler, its time to RMA that sucker.
Motherboard ? / Cooler ? / TIM ?

CPU Voltages ?

I'd suggest using a single monitoring tool as running multiple utilities can skew the results. Suggest HWiNFO as the "be all and end all"of monitoring tools. various TIM applications methods should be bused depending upon the type of cooler to which it i being applied.

http://archive.benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1

To determine if you have a problem, you'd need to run a know utility which applies a known set of loads which could then allow your results to be compared. I would recommend a application based tool such as RoG Real Bench as opposed to a synthetic tool such as P95. However, we need to get you into a safe operating range before operating under such a test.

iamacow

Admirable
I would immediately! stop using your computer! 95C on idle is crazy. I'm guessing under any load its overheating and downclocking. I personally used HWMonitor for years and its very close to being accurate. If I had to guess if you are using the stock intel cooler, that one of the pegs popped out. happened to be a few times. If your using a custom cpu cooler, than something is wrong, like the lack of TIM or maybe the plastic wasn't removed before seating it.

The other option is your cpu sensor is bad, which you can easily tell in the bios. If you are reading crazy numbers and nothing is wrong with the cooler, its time to RMA that sucker.

Solution

atCaleb

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016

I just fixed it, It turns out that two of the pins for the heat sink/fan popped out.
Causing the thermal paste to stop working, It's now running a good 40c currently. Thanks!

atCaleb

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016

Yes, the fan was spinning. It was the pins and that the majority of the thermal paste was taken off by the fan.

Our so we're not talking fan pins, your talking the mounts weren't secure and the cooler was not making proper contact with the CPU. The fan certainly never came into contact with the TIM. What I imagine happened is that not being securely tied down ...

a) The old paste dried out and flaked off when you removed it.
b) The new paste heated up, plasticized and may have and ran down off the CPU onto the CPU PCB or MoBo socket and you now have a small blob of goup laying somewhere where it shouldn't be.

I hope ya didn't use AS5 ...

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)