Question [Solved] Intel I9-10850k crashing when above 4.7Ghz at 10 Cores

Feb 10, 2021
Yesterday upgraded my CPU from an i5-4690 to an i9-10850k and also got a new Motherboard (ASRock Z490 Phantom Gaming 4/ac)

I don't know whether it matters or not, but I didn't setup my PC from new, so the windows installation and all the data from my old PC are still on my harddrive.

After booting the system for the first time, I wanted to check the performance of my new i9-10850k and wanted to test it in Cinebench R23. But when I started the Multi-Core test the PC instantly shutsdown and restarts after a couple of seconds.
Next I tested the Benchmark of UserBenchMark because maybe Cinebench is just incompatible with the i9-10850k or something. This Benchmark started with 1 Core used more and more cores after time. It was still working with 8 cores but then it jumped up to 64 cores and the PC crashed. So the limit is somewhere between 8 and 10 cores (because this CPU has 10 cores).

Then I wanted to see whether this also happens when playing CPU-Heavy games like Cyberpunk, it worked. But maybe this wasn't hard enough for the CPU.

Since then I have been playing around in the BIOS, changing voltage settings, changing the number of activated cores, CPU Frequency Ratio, etc. and tested everything in Cinebench. I looked up some Overclocking guides for this CPU with the same Motherboard, to see what settings work out for others but even with those settings the PC crashed when starting the benchmark.
So, I learned a couple of things:

- The PC only crashes at a CPU Frequency of 4.7Ghz (sometimes 4.7GHz worked out in Cinebench but 4.8GHz is definetly the limit when using all 10 cores)
- Using less cores worked out sometimes and sometimes it still crashed.
- I don't think it crashes because of the temperature, because this happens just too fast, i don't think the temperature couldn't rise that fast. Also when using some settings (that I sadly don't remember) the CPU was at 105°C during the Benchmark (before the motherboard automatically regulated the Mhz so the CPU doesn't burn down).

- I also don't think this happens due to my Power-Supply-Unit. It can handle up to 600 watts, that should be enough, shouldn't it?

For now i went back to the normal settings and just don't start any benchmarks, but I don't want to live in fear of a sudden PC crash when I am working or gaming on this PC.
So do you have any ideas what the reason for this is? My guesses are that the CPU is broken, my RAM is broken, my CPU-Fan is too weak or the PSU is too weak (last 2 should be unlikely)

Specs:

Motherboard: ASRock Z490 Phantom Gaming 4/ac
CPU: Intel I9-10850k
GPU: Nvidia GTX 980
RAM: 2x Kingston HyperX Fury RGB 8GB DDR4-3200
PSU: Be Quiet bn117
Air Cooler: Y.S. TECH dc brushless fan km121225LS (runs at 1200rpm)

kanewolf

Titan
Yesterday upgraded my CPU from an i5-4690 to an i9-10850k and also got a new Motherboard (ASRock Z490 Phantom Gaming 4/ac)

I don't know whether it matters or not, but I didn't setup my PC from new, so the windows installation and all the data from my old PC are still on my harddrive.

After booting the system for the first time, I wanted to check the performance of my new i9-10850k and wanted to test it in Cinebench R23. But when I started the Multi-Core test the PC instantly shutsdown and restarts after a couple of seconds.
Next I tested the Benchmark of UserBenchMark because maybe Cinebench is just incompatible with the i9-10850k or something. This Benchmark started with 1 Core used more and more cores after time. It was still working with 8 cores but then it jumped up to 64 cores and the PC crashed. So the limit is somewhere between 8 and 10 cores (because this CPU has 10 cores).

Then I wanted to see whether this also happens when playing CPU-Heavy games like Cyberpunk, it worked. But maybe this wasn't hard enough for the CPU.

Since then I have been playing around in the BIOS, changing voltage settings, changing the number of activated cores, CPU Frequency Ratio, etc. and tested everything in Cinebench. I looked up some Overclocking guides for this CPU with the same Motherboard, to see what settings work out for others but even with those settings the PC crashed when starting the benchmark.
So, I learned a couple of things:

• The PC only crashes at a CPU Frequency of 4.7Ghz (sometimes 4.7GHz worked out in Cinebench but 4.8GHz is definetly the limit when using all 10 cores)
  • Using less cores worked out sometimes and sometimes it still crashed.
  • I don't think it crashes because of the temperature, because this happens just too fast, i don't think the temperature couldn't rise that fast. Also when using some settings (that I sadly don't remember) the CPU was at 105°C during the Benchmark (before the motherboard automatically regulated the Mhz so the CPU doesn't burn down).

- I also don't think this happens due to my Power-Supply-Unit. It can handle up to 600 watts, that should be enough, shouldn't it?

For now i went back to the normal settings and just don't start any benchmarks, but I don't want to live in fear of a sudden PC crash when I am working or gaming on this PC.
So do you have any ideas what the reason for this is? My guesses are that the CPU is broken, my RAM is broken, my CPU-Fan is too weak or the PSU is too weak (last 2 should be unlikely)

Specs:

Motherboard: ASRock Z490 Phantom Gaming 4/ac
CPU: Intel I9-10850k
GPU: Nvidia GTX 980
RAM: 2x Kingston HyperX Fury RGB 8GB DDR4-3200
PSU: Be Quiet bn117
Air Cooler: Y.S. TECH dc brushless fan km121225LS (runs at 1200rpm)
Do you have the 4 pin and the 8 pin CPU supplemental power plugs in place ?

Feb 10, 2021
Do you have the 4 pin and the 8 pin CPU supplemental power plugs in place ?

If you mean those two, yes

Lw06jSw.jpg

go to asrocks webpage and download all the drivers for the motherboard and install them.

Windows tries to update everything when you do a switch like that but its normally older drivers or just generic ones to get you by.

Feb 10, 2021
Something interesting happened just now.
Yesterday I installed all nessesary drivers from the ASRock website, just as faalin told me.
But now I tried installing them from the drivers DVD that was shipped with the motherboard in case i missed some important drivers.
After installing them, I tried the benchmark again and of course it crashed again. But afterwards I couldn't boot the PC for 2 minutes or so. Normaly it would boot up again automatically after these kind of crashes but this time he didn't and the Power-Button wouldn't do anything either. Does this mean my Power-Supply is too weak or is my Motherboard broken?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Something interesting happened just now.
Yesterday I installed all nessesary drivers from the ASRock website, just as faalin told me.
But now I tried installing them from the drivers DVD that was shipped with the motherboard in case i missed some important drivers.
After installing them, I tried the benchmark again and of course it crashed again. But afterwards I couldn't boot the PC for 2 minutes or so. Normaly it would boot up again automatically after these kind of crashes but this time he didn't and the Power-Button wouldn't do anything either. Does this mean my Power-Supply is too weak or is my Motherboard broken?
what are your CPU temps you listed a cooler but just a fan.

what CPU cooler are you using.

Feb 10, 2021
what are your CPU temps you listed a cooler but just a fan.

what CPU cooler are you using.

Right now at 2% cpu-workload it has about 41°C/105F
The CPU-Fan i am using is the one i mentioned (Y.S. TECH dc brushless fan km121225LS)

Edit:
While doing the benchmark at 4.5GHz it changes between 86 and 100°C

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Right now at 2% cpu-workload it has about 41°C/105F
The CPU-Fan i am using is the one i mentioned (Y.S. TECH dc brushless fan km121225LS)

Edit:
While doing the benchmark at 4.5GHz it changes between 86 and 100°C
Not just the fan the actual cooler itself I google that and it just shows a fan nothing else.

Your PC is probably crashing because of the heat.

Feb 10, 2021
Sry, there is no branding on it and i got it ages ago from my father, so i have no clue about this thing. But I don't trust this thing either, but are old coolers really much worse than the new ones?

vrtjj10.jpg

Feb 10, 2021
You need a lot more cooler for that processor their is your problem.

Are you sure that is the reason for everything? Don't wanna buy a new cooler just to find out that there are other problems left (or in worst case all of them)
And if i need to buy a new one, is it safe to use the CPU while i am waiting for the new cooler to arrive?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)You didn't clean install Windows. Recommended to do so after a motherboard change.

2)The drivers on those mobo CDs are always out of date, no point in trying to install them. Just get the latest ones online.

3)You put the cpu cooler fan on backwards.

4)That cooler probably isn't adequate for a cpu of that caliber anyway. BTW, the model name and number you posted earlier only links to the fan - no heatsink specs available.

Feb 10, 2021
1)You didn't clean install Windows. Recommended to do so after a motherboard change.

2)The drivers on those mobo CDs are always out of date, no point in trying to install them. Just get the latest ones online.

3)You put the cpu cooler fan on backwards.

4)That cooler probably isn't adequate for a cpu of that caliber anyway. BTW, the model name and number you posted earlier only links to the fan - no heatsink specs available.

1) Will try to find a new cooler first and if there still are some problems left, i will reinstall windows

2) Yeah, that's why i took the ones from the website at first, but there was no all in one driver so i tried the CDs driver first in case is missed some important ones.

3) Damn you are right xD

4) Yeah sry, i am have no clues of coolers. But i'll inform myself now so i can buy the best option out there for a good price. ^^

Be quiet Bn117 is a 12yr old group regulated Straight Power E7. That thing is to old and because of age and lack of quality unreliable after 12 years. That psu has 18A (216w) rail for cpu and that's not enough for a 10850K which can consume about 250w. So you need a good, high-end (Tier a) prefered, psu.
Other problem is the motherboard. Asrock Phantom Gaming 4 has poor VRM for a power hungry cpu like 10850K. https://www.techquila.co.in/asrock-z490-motherboards-not-created-equal/

Third problem is that you mounted the fan on the cpu heatsink wrong. It's pulling air through the heatsink instead of pushing.

Reactions: Flayed
Feb 10, 2021
Be quiet Bn117 is a 12yr old group regulated Straight Power E7. That thing is to old and because of age and lack of quality unreliable after 12 years. That psu has 18A (216w) rail for cpu and that's not enough for a 10850K which can consume about 250w. So you need a good, high-end (Tier a) prefered, psu.
Other problem is the motherboard. Asrock Phantom Gaming 4 has poor VRM for a power hungry cpu like 10850K. https://www.techquila.co.in/asrock-z490-motherboards-not-created-equal/

Third problem is that you mounted the fan on the cpu heatsink wrong. It's pulling air through the heatsink instead of pushing.

Thanks for the hint, didn't even think about the rail for the cpu.

Fixed the fan by now.

Feb 10, 2021

Well yes, you where right. Capped the max. watt supply for the CPU in the BIOS to 210watts -> worked, then to 217watts -> crashed

Conclusion of this thread: need new PSU to give the CPU more watts and a new cooling system to keep it cool and maybe i'll refund the motherboard for another one that has better VRM. Thanks everyone for helping me out, if it works out you will hopefully never hear from me again and if it didn't... well, you will propably hear from me i guess.

Bye!