Question [SOLVED] Is my cpu cooler not working properly?

Feb 21, 2019
I bought this gaming PC last month. It's not OC'd and I've never had any crashes. However, I've noticed the CPU max temp has gone up to 92c while gaming. Is this normal for an AiO cooler? I'm not even sure what brand/model cooler came with it. I did check to make sure it's not loose.

jamesanyoung

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2013
Its not necessarily an issue - what games are you playing?
What software are you using to confirm your CPU temps? Are you getting similar temps across all cores?

I read some reviews on that PC and it looks like a few people are complaining about thermals, and one owner says his CPU cooler didn't have any thermal paste applied.

I cant see how many fans are in there either; can you add an additional exhaust fan at the top of the case?

Feb 21, 2019
Its not necessarily an issue - what games are you playing?
What software are you using to confirm your CPU temps? Are you getting similar temps across all cores?

I read some reviews on that PC and it looks like a few people are complaining about thermals, and one owner says his CPU cooler didn't have any thermal paste applied.

I cant see how many fans are in there either; can you add an additional exhaust fan at the top of the case?

Anthem. Apex Legends. FFXIV.

CPUID HWMonitor. Yes similar temps across all cores.

I ordered thermal paste last night, I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Here's a photo. Looks like there's space up top on the right for another fan.

jamesanyoung

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2013
Anthem. Apex Legends. FFXIV.

CPUID HWMonitor. Yes similar temps across all cores.

I ordered thermal paste last night, I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Here's a photo. Looks like there's space up top on the right for another fan.

Let us know how the Thermal Paste application goes. Also, make sure the CPU cooler is well seated.
Can your confirm all your fans are spinning up properly?
What brand is your AIO cooler? Acetek?
Does your PC has a fan controller that you can control?

Feb 21, 2019
Let us know how the Thermal Paste application goes. Also, make sure the CPU cooler is well seated.
Can your confirm all your fans are spinning up properly?
What brand is your AIO cooler? Acetek?
Does your PC has a fan controller that you can control?

I've already watched a few videos on removing/applying thermal paste.

They CPU cooler fan does spin. These are the readings after 2 hours of gaming today. Is that fan rpm ok?

I am not sure what brand the AiO cooler is. One of the answers on the amazon page mentions something like Deep Cooler. A negative review post mentions its an off-brand 120mm AiO cooler. There is no fan controller on the case.

Edit: If the new thermal paste application does not improve it enough. Should I go for a new cpu cooler first, a case fan, or both? My budget is around $120 right now.

oliver.elgersma

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
I've already watched a few videos on removing/applying thermal paste.

They CPU cooler fan does spin. These are the readings after 2 hours of gaming today. Is that fan rpm ok?

I am not sure what brand the AiO cooler is. One of the answers on the amazon page mentions something like Deep Cooler. A negative review post mentions its an off-brand 120mm AiO cooler. There is no fan controller on the case.

Edit: If the new thermal paste application does not improve it enough. Should I go for a new cpu cooler first, a case fan, or both? My budget is around $120 right now.
If it does not work I would look into getting a new cooler and mount the radiator on the top, so you can install an exhaust fan on the back. I think adding good thermal paste should help though.

I bought this gaming PC last month. It's not OC'd and I've never had any crashes. However, I've noticed the CPU max temp has gone up to 92c while gaming. Is this normal for an AiO cooler? I'm not even sure what brand/model cooler came with it. I did check to make sure it's not loose.

In your position I would return it immediately.

Here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

That is WAY too hot for a CPU. For those that say that a 120mm won't cool effectively https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/kaby_lake_7700k_5ghz_aio_cooler_mega_test/24 shows that the H80i V2 does. It's never really been a popular cooler but it is pretty beefy for a little guy and does cool effectively. The 7700K does run warmer than the 8700K but not to this extreme.

Exchange it or return it if reseating doesn't help. I wasn't going to suggest that because the factory sent out a problem and I didn't know your skill level.

Reactions: jamesanyoung

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's an 8700k with an unbranded h55 120mm aio that's basically exactly the same performance as a CM hyper212 evo.

Normal fan speeds for those small 120mm run @ 2k-4k.

This is my suggestion. Find the wire that comes from the pump and goes to the cpu_fan header and unplug it. Find the wire that comes from the fan and goes to sys_fan 2. Unplug it.
Now, look on the motherboard and see if there's a cpu_aux or cpu_opt or cpu_pump header. Normally they are either by the ram or just below the socket to the left. If there is, great, plug the pump wire there. If there isn't, then plug the pump wire into sys_fan2 (where the fan was). Plug the fan into cpu_fan. Basically that puts the fan controlled by the cpu temp, not case/mobo temps and the pump runs full speed.

Then redo your game/hwinfo test.

jamesanyoung

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2013
I kind of agree with aquielisunari if you are having issues with the machine already - take advantage of the return policy and get a better computer with a name brand cooler and PSU.

If you are set on keeping it, put on a good air cooler or a twin fan AIO and some proper thermal compound.

As far as a replacement is concerned we would need to know the case's model number. At 8.54" wide the Bequiet Dark Rock 4(159mm) should fit. I've researched the 212 Evo because I was going to and did purchase it and it needs a case at least 8" wide. It's the exact same height as the Pro 4 which is why that's relevant.

Feb 21, 2019
The case is 8.54" wide, but I think I would prefer an AiO cooler. I don't plan on OC'ing the cpu. Can anyone recommend an AiO cooler? I'm considering the Corsair H150i, but is there a cheaper alternative that anyone here would recommend?