[SOLVED] Minecraft random 1-second freezes on GTX 1050 Ti

Aug 28, 2018
Hi there,

Since about 3 days I encounter an awkward issue. Minecraft just freezes from time to time for about one second. I pressed Shift+Alt+F3, so that you can see the red FPS strokes in the screenshots:

FO8bcyQ.png
B0KgyIM.jpg

s0zh4IR.png

The red lines say it all. For some reason it just stops changing frames for a second and then starts again. It's kinda random. I've played Minecraft on this PC a lot and this is the first time it happens. I really have no idea what to do. Is it a Windows thing? Or perhaps a GPU issue (unlikely, it's a fairly new GTX 1050 Ti I got in summer 2018 + it doesn't have this problem in other games like CS:GO).

Any ideas how to fix this issue will be more than welcome.

molletts

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
It could be something to do with the Java environment, perhaps. I've had odd things like this with Minecraft before. They can be quite tricky to diagnose and fix.

Have you tried installing the OptiFine mod? That can fix a lot of odd performance/lag issues by separating some of the game's internal functions onto different threads, allowing them to run on different cores. (Normal Minecraft only really uses 1 core, apart from a few small parts.) It also gives you fancy stuff like shaders, if you like that kind of thing (have a look at the SEUS Renewed shader pack here - it's pretty crazy and far too power-hungry for my old GPU but a 1050Ti would probably cope).

Reactions: nicola-smart
Aug 28, 2018
It could be something to do with the Java environment, perhaps. I've had odd things like this with Minecraft before. They can be quite tricky to diagnose and fix.

Have you tried installing the OptiFine mod? That can fix a lot of odd performance/lag issues by separating some of the game's internal functions onto different threads, allowing them to run on different cores. (Normal Minecraft only really uses 1 core, apart from a few small parts.) It also gives you fancy stuff like shaders, if you like that kind of thing (have a look at the SEUS Renewed shader pack here - it's pretty crazy and far too power-hungry for my old GPU but a 1050Ti would probably cope).

Thank you! Optifine seems to fix it for me. It's not perfect - it's a mod after all, so not always instantly available for newest releases but indeed fixes what I needed to fix so I'll probably stay on that solution for a good while. I can now mark this thread as solved.

Aug 28, 2018

Oh god! I just saw a video titled "How Rich Kids Play Minecraft" where they showed this shader pack on an RTX 2080 Ti and then I remembered that you linked me the shader but I never actually checked it out. Downloaded. Installed. This is incredible! So realistic, so good! Thanks for pointing out the existence of such a masterpiece for Minecraft!