Question [Solved]New Windows 10 tablet won't connect to Wi-Fi. Now what?

Isaac Zackary

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
I sent in my Surface Go (1) to be repaired and they sent me back a Surface Go 2. That's a whole other story, but now this new Surface Go 2 won't connect to my Wi-Fi router unless I connect via ethernet. I'm updating the tablet via ethernet, but I still can't get it to connect to my Wi-Fi. What now?

I sent in my Surface Go (1) to be repaired and they sent me back a Surface Go 2. That's a whole other story, but now this new Surface Go 2 won't connect to my Wi-Fi router unless I connect via ethernet. I'm updating the tablet via ethernet, but I still can't get it to connect to my Wi-Fi. What now?
Tell us what the tablet says when you try to connect. And tell us about your wifi router. Is the router restricted to the mac address of your old tablet and are there security measures you need to temporarily suspend until it connects.

Isaac Zackary

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
The only security measure is the Wi-Fi password. I can connect anything to the router, except this tablet.

The tablet just says "Cannot connect to network" and doesn't even ask for the password or anything.

I tried turnning the router off and back on, but it still does the same thing. Same with the tablet, off and on and still the same, won't connect.

kanewolf

Titan
The only security measure is the Wi-Fi password. I can connect anything to the router, except this tablet.

The tablet just says "Cannot connect to network" and doesn't even ask for the password or anything.

I tried turnning the router off and back on, but it still does the same thing. Same with the tablet, off and on and still the same, won't connect.
It may be you have characters in the password it doesn't like. Try resetting the password to something simple with just Upper, lower and numbers ...
What WIFI hardware do you have? Are you trying anything fancy like WPA3 ?

Isaac Zackary

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
The characters are only lower case letters and three numbers. Again, it doesn't even get to the password before saying "Cannot connect to network." Again, I'm not able to even type in the password before it says that.

This is an older router. A D-Link DIR-655.

The characters are only lower case letters and three numbers. Again, it doesn't even get to the password before saying "Cannot connect to network." Again, I'm not able to even type in the password before it says that.

This is an older router. A D-Link DIR-655.
So in Windows if you click on Settings, Network and Internet, Status, Show Available Networks, at least is your router listed there? And on the Wifi menu its definitely turned on? And if you click on Manage Known Networks are there any networks that may have been used to test the tablet at MS that need to be forgotten?

Reactions: Isaac Zackary

Isaac Zackary

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
Thank you all for all your help!

Apparently the tablet thought it remembered my Wi-Fi password through my Microsoft account. I found a "forget network" option, did that, and after that I could get a blank line to put in my password, and violá! Now it works just fine!

But thanks again!

Reactions: dwd999