(Solved) Old HDD shows up in "Device Manager" but no in "My Computer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BusterSenshi

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
I have recently created a new computer and have Windows 7 running on an SSD (60gb)

I have a HDD (1tb) that I have as my main storage drive (Which is connected with junctions so my SSD does only has to deal with booting Windows)

I have an old hard drive that I put in a "external case" to turn it into a DIY External hard drive. I had been using this external drive to move some old files from an other computer, I formatted that computer after moving my files to the "Portable Hard Drive"

With Murphy's law pulling through like it always does neither computer now seems to show the external drive them it is plugged in, so I removed it from its housing and has connected it to my new computer.

Murphy's law once again the drive is not showing up in "My Computer" but it is in the "Device Manager" as well as DiskPart.

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/9972/missinghdd.png

Where do I go from here?

EDIT:
I failed to mention that the drive names:

Corsair: SSD (60gb)
ST1000: HDD (1tb)
WDC: Old HDD used as an external (.5tb)

Solution
Not sure why this worked, but it worked for me. I am posting this for other that might have the same problem. Props goes to "rgd1101" for sending me in the right direction!

Try these steps:

• ■ Open Command Prompt. (CMD)
    ■ Type: diskpart
    ■ At the DISKPART prompt, type: list volume
    Make note of the number of the simple volume whose drive letter you want to assign, change, or remove.
    ■ At the DISKPART prompt, type: select volume n
    Select the volume, where n is the volume's number, whose drive letter you want to assign, change, or remove.
    ■ At the DISKPART prompt, type one of the following: assign letter=L
    Where...

BusterSenshi

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
Not sure why this worked, but it worked for me. I am posting this for other that might have the same problem. Props goes to "rgd1101" for sending me in the right direction!

Try these steps:

• ■ Open Command Prompt. (CMD)
    ■ Type: diskpart
    ■ At the DISKPART prompt, type: list volume
    Make note of the number of the simple volume whose drive letter you want to assign, change, or remove.
    ■ At the DISKPART prompt, type: select volume n
    Select the volume, where n is the volume's number, whose drive letter you want to assign, change, or remove.
    ■ At the DISKPART prompt, type one of the following: assign letter=L
    Where L is the drive letter you want to assign or change.

You can make L any letter as long as it is not already assigned to a drive.

Thank you rgd1101!

Solution

WeeBear

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014

Thank you BusterSenshi and rgd1101! Sweet baby mother of jawas, I don't know why I didn't just come here three hours ago.

infamoustree

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014

I am in the same boat you are, i can not assign a letter to the drive without formatting it and I am attempting to recover the data from my old sata drive. any ideas?!?

ballplayer13

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014

I also am having this problem. The USB port on my 1tb WD My Book crapped out, so I bought a new enclosure thinking that was the only issue. Now I can't see my HDD in My Computer, but it shows up in Disk Management and Device Manager. It won't let me assign a drive letter and I tried opening cmd and running the disk part command but the drive didn't show up in there. Any help would be appreciated!

tha_p0pe

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015
This solution worked for me! Thanks BusterSenshi and rgd1101!!

DRspooner

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015

yeh iv also got this problem (infamoustree) and alse when I click properties in device manager on the wd 1tb external drive it says location 0 also cant assign drive letter and dosent show up in cmd in anyone has any recommended programs or advice on how 2 fix it that would be sweet :)

starpilot149

Reputable
Apr 6, 2015

sweet baby jesus. It actually worked. You made me feel like such a hacker.

LadyGaia

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016

God that actually worked! Thank you so much, was having exactly the same problem and got myself very confused

Maximanden

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016
Oh wauw... This is awesome.. having this problem after reinstall of windows. Thanks alot.. was about to do bad things.. :)

petershum

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011

Did you get this solved? I am having this same problem. The diskpart trick did not work for me, because the "missing" drive is not listed under diskpart either.

ayzonthapa

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016

Dario_8

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016

This one worked for me (I did it unintentionally so I don't remember step by step, sorry):
1- Tipe windows key + r.
2- Open Disk Manager by typing "diskmgmt.msc"
3- On the Disk Manager tool there should be a list of the units available. Mine showed my external hard disk as "not initialized" or something like that.
4- Right click on the bar on the right side of the unit's name. On the menu there is an option that says "Create a new device" or "create a new unit" something like that, I don't remember, sorry.
5- It will open up a menu in which you assign a letter, but you have to format the disk.
6- Done, after it finishes, you'll be able to access it on My Computer.

Again, sorry I'm not able to give more specific details, but I made it almost by accident. I hope I could help you anyway.

vikramv1217

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016

vikramv1217

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016

Thanks a lot !! This worked for me :)

Bigdaddygb

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016

this worked for me. you hit the windows key in the lower left of your keyboard and the letter r at the same time brings up open window...type in diskmgmt.msc hit enter it will ask you if you to create a partition type older systems used mbr but newer ones like the gpt style. check out info on both types before deciding which to use or you will have to uninstall and start all over again. once you decide and make your choice onthe screen then you can format it and ad volume labels and such. Good luck easy to do worked for me i can see and store stuff on my wd black 1tb hard drive with my evo ssd 840 as my master

rosenaaron

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014
For those that can't assign a drive letter, go to disk management and use the scroll wheel at the bottom, the disk might be there (and it may say unallocated). Right click and create a new simple volume. You can assign a letter there.

Status
Not open for further replies.