[SOLVED] [SOLVED] PC Crashing during games.

Jan 2, 2021
So I just got a 3080 and while playing some games the PC is crashing. When it crashes the LED on the power button is still lit, while a normal shutdown will turn it off. Originally I thought it was a cooling issue as the PC was getting in the 70+C range. I took a house fan opened the side of the case, temps were in the 60's but it still crashed. Ran OCCT7, ended up with 1 WHEA error while testing memory.

The PC has has crashed during 2 games so far. Medieval Dynasty and Cyberpunk 2077. I've ran VR with this set up and no crashes (Beat Saber, Synthrider) and I've ran ARK: Survival without any crashes.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n9qWK3

If there's any additional information I can give let me know.

EDIT: Before the 3080 was installed, I didn't have the Baracuda HDD, and the graphics card was a 1080. I also didn't update the RAM on the part list, same sticks but an extra set for 32 gigs now.

Solution
Hey there,

Just to be clear, does it crash to desktop, or crash as in PC turns itself off?

I suspect it's possibly a PSU issue. The RTX GPU's cause some PSU's issues. Have you another PSU you could swap out? Plus the recommended PSU for your card is a 750w. Although your system may not draw that much.

What happens if you put the 1080 back in (if you still have it)
Hey there,

Just to be clear, does it crash to desktop, or crash as in PC turns itself off?

I suspect it's possibly a PSU issue. The RTX GPU's cause some PSU's issues. Have you another PSU you could swap out? Plus the recommended PSU for your card is a 750w. Although your system may not draw that much.

What happens if you put the 1080 back in (if you still have it)

Solution
Jan 2, 2021
The PC turns itself off, gotta hit the power button to get it going again.

I don't currently have a PSU to swap out, but I got the cash to grab a new one, didn't know the 3080 called for a 750w.

I still have the 1080, I'll give it a shot to see if it'll crash under the same conditions.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

EDIT: Not crashing with the 1080, gonna run to a nearby Microcenter and grab a PSU, will update after some tests.

Last edited:
The PC turns itself off, gotta hit the power button to get it going again.

I don't currently have a PSU to swap out, but I got the cash to grab a new one, didn't know the 3080 called for a 750w.

I still have the 1080, I'll give it a shot to see if it'll crash under the same conditions.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

EDIT: Not crashing with the 1080, gonna run to a nearby Microcenter and grab a PSU, will update after some tests.

You're very welcome!

Yes, as suspected with the 1080. Get yourself a decent gold unit. Corsair RMX/RMI, Seasonic Focus Plus, EVGA G2/G3 will do.

Let us know how it goes.