[SOLVED] (Solved) PC not responsive after idle. Event log cleared on manual restart ?

IronyTaken

Reputable
Jul 10, 2020
I've recently had an issue that happens at random.
Sometimes I will leave my PC on for more than a day with no issue but occasionally I will let my computer idle for hours and when I come back the PC is still running but nothing responds.
I have sleep mode off and monitor set to turn off after 25 minutes of idling. When this problem occurs the monitor has no signal and every USB connection has no response despite them receiving power for their lights.
I tried unplugging the usb peripherals and plugging them back in but nothing happens along with unplugging and plugging in the same monitor or another extra monitor (still no signal).
I then hold down the power button to shut off the PC and turn off the power supply then turn it back on and then turn my PC back on.

It boots up fine but every time I have to do this I go to check the logs in Windows Event Viewer and every time it clears both the system and application logs after boot up.
So I am unable to see what happened during the issue occurring.

I've never had this issue happen when I was actually using my PC. And have had no issues even when playing games (for hours) or stress testing it by running an Aida64 and Furmark stress test at the same time.

I am really stumped at what is causing this issue. I am deciding whether I should just do a clean install of Windows 10 to see if that solves the issue.

PC specs are;

RTX 3090
5900X
32GB (4x8GB 3200mhz ) RAM
ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) motherboard
Windows 10 Pro 64bit (fully updated)

Solution
There is an option in the Windows advanced power settings called "Selective USB Suspend" or something similar. You may want to make sure this is turned off.
If the problem persists after changing, or if it's already set to be off, I would then go into the power settings in your BIOS and see if there are any features in there that could be the culprit.
If you leave too many pages open it could cause pc to freeze in idle. Check to make sure that you do not have any auto scheduled maintenance programs running during idle. Of course, the boring update device drivers, windows, and bios would be in order also. You could also try changing your windows power setting to high performance if needed.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
There is an option in the Windows advanced power settings called "Selective USB Suspend" or something similar. You may want to make sure this is turned off.
If the problem persists after changing, or if it's already set to be off, I would then go into the power settings in your BIOS and see if there are any features in there that could be the culprit.

Solution

IronyTaken

Reputable
Jul 10, 2020
I will try that tomorrow to see if it fixes it.
But the problem seems to have been getting worse.
Now I have the same issue when booting up my computer. It usually takes multiple tries of cold boots/restarts until I get a signal from my screen and my keyboard and mouse work.
When the issue occurs while booting up I see my keyboard and mouse light up and for that brief time I can see the caps lock light up when pressing the key so I see it registers a key press. but then the keyboard lights go off then come back on and nothing responds after that all while the display is also receiving no signal.
Eventually after trying a few times it will boot up fine with all the peripherals working.
It might be a placebo, but I've tried unplugging all my usb stuff prior to botting up the computer and it booted up fine the first time. I will have to do multiple tries with this to determine if it the cause.

IronyTaken

Reputable
Jul 10, 2020
Just tried turning on the PC with no usb slots used and still had the issue.
Hitting the power supply switch while the PC is running seems to get it to boot up correctly. It forces it to go into trouble shoot mode after detecting a sudden shutdown and from there I can just have it boot normally.
But other than that I can't get it too boot normally anymore from a normal shutdown. So whatever the problem may be it is getting worse.
Not sure if this is a power supply issue or the motherboard. It works fine once booted up even under 100% load so not exactly sure what is the problem.

IronyTaken

Reputable
Jul 10, 2020

Ok I took this advice and looked into the Asus bios.
There is an option for providing power to USB during soft state which is during normal shutdown.
I disabled that setting and it seems to have fixed the issue. So far 3 different boot ups and all worked fine.
Seems like leaving power to my USB devices might have been the culprit.
For anyone else with this problem doing this might fix it.

Edit: I am going to change the title to (solved) and if the problem comes back I will update, but for now it seems fixed.