SOLVED Physical Memory at 97% - Huge Non Paged Pool!

Baloeb

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
I found this and it solved the problem! http://bluebluewave.wordpress.com/2014/02/27/memory-leak-in-windows-8-1-with-killer-e2200-and-windows-network-data-usage-monitoring/

The title says it all. I was getting huge performance issues in my games and checked the task manager. Physical memory was at 97% and my non-paged pool was 7.3 gigs. I have 8 gigs of RAM. I restarted and it seemed to fix it, but I don't know when it will happened again. Is there a way to fix this?

edit: It definitely happens whenever I download something. I just downloaded another large file as a test and opened my task manager. I could literally watch the non paged pool usage climb. It's up to 2 gb and still climbing now.

Solution

Hi,

The non-paged pool is a section of kernel memory which is reserved for code and data that must be in physical memory at all times. If the non-paged pool has grown dramatically (it should not be more than a few hundred megabytes) and clears up after a reboot this indicates that one of your device drivers is probably leaking memory. Check for updates from the manufacturers

Baloeb

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013

No, just downloading some games from my steam library. Like I said, it was steam once and origin once, so it seems like large downloads have caused it so far. It doesn't seem like it was the steam client itself.

Hi,

The non-paged pool is a section of kernel memory which is reserved for code and data that must be in physical memory at all times. If the non-paged pool has grown dramatically (it should not be more than a few hundred megabytes) and clears up after a reboot this indicates that one of your device drivers is probably leaking memory. Check for updates from the manufacturers

Solution

Baloeb

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013

It definitely seems like the network driver. I tested it again by downloading a large file. I opened the task manager and could watch the non paged pool memory climb. I have Killer e2200 ethernet and I have the newest drivers. I don't know what else I can do.

That's a definite possibility. The non-paged pool contains buffers used to queue up IO requests as they come and go. A leak in the NIC driver would most definitely cause the non-paged pool to grow until it crowds out the paged pools.

WHQL stresses drivers for common problems such as leaking or improperly allocated kernel memory (which can cause BSODs), but some occasionally slip through the cracks or may not be WHQL validated.
My suggestion would be to uninstall the device in Device Manager and reinstall it. If it's a configuration issue, this may fix it.
If that doesn't resolve the problem, install an older driver revision, preferably one that's WHQL validated, or a beta version that may contain a fix.
You should also bring this to the manufacturer's attention. Writing kernel drivers is much easier than it used to be, but it's possible that they missed something that's fairly uncommon or even unique to your system.

Baloeb

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013

After some searching I found that others have had this same problem. This seems to have fixed it!
http://bluebluewave.wordpress.com/2014/02/27/memory-leak-in-windows-8-1-with-killer-e2200-and-windows-network-data-usage-monitoring/

ChefFowler

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
i have a massive memory leak that is clearly connected to the e2200 i have tried doing new drivers and nothing, im at the point of buying a ethernet card to plug into the board, would disabling the e2200 stop the leak or do i have to take other steps?