[SOLVED] [SOLVED] Please help. Cannot set refresh rate above 100hz on a 120hz monitor.

May 22, 2018
I have an AOC Agon AG352UCG6 120Hz Ultrawide Monitor, but Windows will not allow me to set a refresh rate above 100Hz.

I am using the included Display Port cable. I have the latest Radeon drivers for my AMD R390 and I have the latest monitor drivers from AOC. I have also enabled "Overclocking" in the monitor's OSD but it still only shows 100Hz even in the OSD.

Can someone please help offer any advice?

Solution
So I finally found the solution in case anyone is interested.

It turns out this card does not work at full refresh rate with my AMD R390 graphics card I was using. This is afterall a G-Sync monitor but apparently it cannot display the full 120hz advertised refresh rate unless you have an Nvidia card. I'm using my new Nvidia card now and everything works as intended.

FYI I also bought a new VESA compatible DP 1.4 cable and it did not change the fact that the AMD R390 would not go above 100hz. Thanks everyone for your suggested solutions.
May 22, 2018

3440x1440. Other resolutions are also maxed at 100Hz in Windows Display Adapter settings.

Thanks for the suggestion capt. I will try to buy a new DP cable, but it seems incredibly silly if AOC bundled a DP cable that cannot support the advertised 120Hz refresh rate on the box. Any chance this might be a driver issue or a defective unit?

May 22, 2018
Hi rgd1101, Windows will not allow me to set the display mode to 120Hz, it is not listed as an option. The only refresh rate options I get are 50Hz, 60Hz, 85Hz, and 100Hz. Here's a screenshot:

EQgKB12.jpg

I also tried setting the overclock from the OSD, but no luck. Overlock is enabled and I "Applied and Rebooted" but OSD still shows 100Hz:

7YKooWY.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion capt. I will try to buy a new DP cable, but it seems incredibly silly if AOC bundled a DP cable that cannot support the advertised 120Hz refresh rate on the box. Any chance this might be a driver issue or a defective unit?
[/quotemsg]

its the way with anything that comes included with items like that. just like with printers now where they do not include a full ink cartridge. all AOC could have done here was provide a cheap displayport cable

A new cable will not do anything. Both formats require enough bandwidth that the DP link must operate in HBR2 mode. That means the signal transmission frequency is the same for both formats, so the "strain" on the cable is the same in either case.

This is just an issue with detecting the refresh rate options provided by the monitor. Try rebooting your PC, and if it doesn't show up after that, then set a custom resolution.

May 22, 2018
Thanks for the responses. I tried setting a custom resoltuion/refresh rate using the AMD Settings software. I set Timing Standard to CVT -Reduced Blanking per the instructions on the sticky forum post. When I try to save the custom resolution, it says "the custom resolution settings are not compatible with this display. Reconfigure your settings and try again."

Any other ideas?

May 22, 2018
So I finally found the solution in case anyone is interested.

It turns out this card does not work at full refresh rate with my AMD R390 graphics card I was using. This is afterall a G-Sync monitor but apparently it cannot display the full 120hz advertised refresh rate unless you have an Nvidia card. I'm using my new Nvidia card now and everything works as intended.

FYI I also bought a new VESA compatible DP 1.4 cable and it did not change the fact that the AMD R390 would not go above 100hz. Thanks everyone for your suggested solutions.

Solution

Thanks for the update :)