Question [Solved] Ram overclocking cooling

Jan 31, 2020
I overclocked my RAM using dram calculator for Ryzen G.Skill F4-3200C14-8GTZR to 3600mhz. The problem is it somehow overheats when I play a game. The temps are around 34c so I thought it was fine but my games crash after 5mins or so. So I turned one of my 12mm fans to blow air in directly at the RAM and it gets about 2c cooler and it's stable. Can it be that my RAM crashes above 34c? I thought they can handle double that.

My CPU gets around 40c and my GPU around 50c when I play a game. Non are overclocked.

Ryzen 3600
MSI RTX 2060 Super
G.Skill F4-3200C14-8GTZR
Be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 cpu cooler
2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM in the front
1x 12mm fractal op top
1x 12mm fractal on the back

Jun 10, 2019
Are you sure your other temps are fine? What program are you using to read these temps? I believe it's hard to overheat ram, especially since most the time you can undervolt.

If it's just the game that crashes its the GPU, either unstable clock speeds or overheating. If explorer(windows) crashes, but your rig stays powered it's CPU clock speeds, and I'm pretty sure if your CPU overheats pc shuts down completely(may be wrong and windows might just crash.) But your problem definitely isn't your ram temp.

There's also the possibility components of your board overheating. I've had a couple boards that use thermal pads with their heatsinks instead of paste, that resulted in very high northbridge and overall case temps.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020
Thanks for the replies! After all you said temps are not the problem I started to go by my settings one by one. It did indeed fail memtest and TM5. After about 5 hours I got it. My problem was tRCDWR was changed from 14 to 16 and gear down mode enabled. I had it running for hours in memtest and had no errors and it run TM5 without problems. I played some games and all is fine. I have turned my top fan back to blow hot air outside my case. Thanks for your tips and help!

Last edited: