Question Solved - RX580 power and crashing questions

ar28

Prominent
Dec 6, 2019
---the problem ended up being the case fan hooked up through molex adapted. looks like its time to buy some new proper case fans.

recently bought a RX580 and and having some odd issues i cant pinpoint. will leave links below for parts information. some back story, i had a old rx380 that would rarely randomly show artifacts or the screen would go black for a split second then come back. it was really uncommon and not a major issue so i just dealt with it. figured it was time to get a new one with the deals going on.

after getting the 580 installed and trying to run furmark for stress testing it would start for like 2 seconds then the screen would go black and come back on with furmark crashing. i lowered settings on the gpu from stock and it slowly got more stable until it ran furmark without crashing but it still gave a random artifact flicker for a second like my other card.

my power supply is a seasonic 620w and i figured maybe it was the issue. my only other psu onhand is like a 10 year old antec green 500w. i pulled the antec from my spare pc and hooked up only my boot drive gpu mobo and cpu pins. booted up no issue and ran furmark on stock gpu settings got no artifacts or crashing nothing just perfect as it should be.

i then go through the process of totally swapping my psus hook up all 4 of my hard drives (2 ssd and 2 spinners) and 1 case fan that has a molex adapter. boot up the pc start furmark and the computer instantly crashes and reboots.

one oddity i noticed was when i had the successful test hwmonitor was showing the gpu idle power at like 5w and the clocks both graphics and memory were only 300, now while im having the issue its idle is back to 20w and the memory is 2000mhz (same as it was with the seasonic). the voltage was also lower with the successful test i dont 100% remember but i wanna say .750v compared to .950v now with the issues.

the hard drives cant really be pushing that much power to push me to my limit can they? i would think its a lack of power if the 500w totally crashes the computer but the 620 is enough to keep it going but just crash the program. ill try some more testing at a later point but wanted to get some opinions and maybe someone else who experienced and fixed similar

mobo - asrock z97 fatality
cpu - 4790k
ram - 4x 8gb 1600 ddr3
2x sata ssd
2x spinner hd
2x 120 fans (1 exhaust and 1 on cpu)

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-m12ii-620-bronze-620w/p/N82E16817151095

https://www.newegg.com/antec-earthwatts-ea-500d-green-500w/p/N82E16817371035

https://www.newegg.com/xfx-radeon-rx-580-rx-580p8dfd6/p/N82E16814150803

Last edited:
Certainly sounds like a PSU issue (which is strange because your system power draw ought to be under 300W easy with BOTH the CPU and GPU fully loaded aka Prime95 + FurMark at the same time). You could decreasing the GPU power limit in AMD WattMan and see if that helps, but it's only a troubleshooting measure. Not something you want to hobble along with permanently.

Or this could be an issue with your mobo PCIe slot power. What mobo do you have.

ar28

Prominent
Dec 6, 2019
edited original post forgot to add cpu ram mobo. nothing is overclocked and no rgb or fancy crap.

mobo - asrock z97 fatality
cpu - 4790k
ram - 4x 8gb 1600 ddr3
2x sata ssd
2x spinner hd
2x 120 fans (1 exhaust and 1 on cpu)

i can trouble shoot some more later unhooking different things its just a huge hassle to drag the pc out from behind the monitor every time i change something and wanna test again. i feel like ive seen a lot of people using and recommending as low as 550w psus for a 580 though. while writing this i remembered i have a wall plug volt reader somewhere i can see what the whole computer is actually pulling

ar28

Prominent
Dec 6, 2019
ok i tried the most simple change i could think of disconnecting the fan hooked up to the molex adapter and furmark is running fine on the 500w antec with the 580 back at stock settings and even with a slight overclock. downside is this thing sounds like a damn jet engine when it gets maxed out lol by far the loudest card ive owned

Undervolting can significantly lower temps and noise. Have a read through this thread

In AMD Wattman, you'll go to Global Settings -> Global Wattman and toggle the GPU Frequency (on the left side of the window) from % to Dynamic, and Voltage Control from Auto to Manual. This will populate the GPU core voltages from State 1 to State 7 (these are load states), as well as the memory frequency State 1. Write down the all 7 core frequencies that are displayed. Then I can give you voltages to enter for each frequency to get you into the ballpark of what your card should be capable of.

Re-applying thermal paste can also have a large effect on temps/noise. Took my 1400MHz RX480 (RX580 is just a factor OC'd RX480) from 85C @ 2400rpm fans to 73C @ 1100rpm fans.

Also, what monitor do you have? (brand/model).

ar28

Prominent
Dec 6, 2019
im already aware of all that. the issue is fixed it was just the case fan hooked up through molex adapted. at stock speeds furmark stress test is capping it out at 80c with 55fps on 1440p and 78fps on 1080p. no artifacts no stuttering no crashes, working as it should as far as im aware

TRENDING THREADS