[SOLVED] Solved : Sparks when HDMI/DP cable touches the GPU I/O backplate or its ports

Jul 13, 2024
Hi! So I just built a new pc and when I have the power supply plugged in but unpowered (switched off), the monitor hdmi/dp cable makes small sparks and a specific sound when it touches the GPU I/O backplate or its ports. This doesn't happen when the power supply is unplugged. The monitor is plugged in. This also doesn't happen to my old pc. Is this safe for the computer? Thanks.

msi a650bn - psu | rx 6800 - gpu | ryzen 5 5600 - cpu | msi b550-a pro - mb | dell s2422hg - monitor

Jul 13, 2024
Yes, both of them. The same thing also happened when i had the motherboard outside the case placed on a cardboard box. There aren't any extra pins in the case. I saw a few old posts who had the same problem and some of them said that placing the cable inside the gpu worked but I can't afford the risk..

The problem was a really old extension cord, I replaced it with a new one. It's fixed now. :D

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Glad you found a solution. Extension cords can allow you to make odd connections with reverse polarity in power supply.

I had written a long general piece on causes and fixes of this type of issue because it pops up often. But you don't need it, OP, so I'll save it for someone who does.