lim.stevenchandra

Honorable
Nov 23, 2017
Hi There! This is my first post in this website IIRC. I'm kinda lost what to do so i'm just gonna ask here anyway. I just recently upgraded my CPU and Motherboard. Before i did the upgrade everything seems fine not even a single problem come. After the upgrade i found a very noticable frame drops / stutter while playing games, specially Valorant. The frame is dropped in interval of 5-15 seconds for 1-2 seconds.

Here are my old PC Spec:
  • MSI Z270M Mortar
  • Intel Core i7-6700K
  • Zotac RTX 3060 Ti
  • G.Skill 2x8GB 3200 Mhz with XMP
  • Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 1 TB
  • 1stplayer DK6.0 600W Full Modular 80+ Bronze
  • Cooler Master ML240L V2
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • Prime X-[KM] M-Atx Case
Here is the new or upgraded one:
  • ASUS Prime B450M A-II (BIOS Version 4002)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X
  • Zotac RTX 3060 Ti
  • G.Skill 2x8GB 3200 Mhz with DOCP
  • Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 1 TB
  • 1stplayer DK6.0 600W Full Modular 80+ Bronze
  • Cooler Master ML240L V2
  • Windows 11 Pro
  • Prime X-[KM] M-Atx Case
Things i have tried:
  • Reinstall Windows on the SSD
  • Using Firestorm app by Zotac
  • Switching PCIe x8 Cable
  • Update drivers to latest version
  • Haven't changed anything on BIOS except DOCP
I had this problem for 3-4 days and haven't find a clean solution for this. I tried to google the solution but mostly said to reinstalling my windows, GPU drivers or even BIOS version. I don't flash or update my BIOS version since it's already come with latest version out of the box. I didn't use any case fans because i usually play while turning my Air Conditioner On so it can keep my PC Cool enough. I tried to do some test with userbenchmark and 3DMark while monitored with HWMonitor but i don't really understand where to find the problems. I noticed the PCIe x8 Power Drop whenever i experience the stutter on Valorant that's why i swapped the cable and haven't really tested with the new cable. But the first couple of hour playing i almost not experiencing any FPS Stutter but after 3 hours into the game the stutter become very noticeable (This is with firestorm off).

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Only thing screaming out to me is that power supply, very poor indeed. Should really change it for something better, Corsair Rm650x if you can get it.

Changing modular psus require you to replace the cables as well. Industry isn't standardised regarding cable pin arrangement so highly likely the cables won't be compatible with the next psu. Risk short otherwise.

Reactions: lim.stevenchandra

lim.stevenchandra

Honorable
Nov 23, 2017
Only thing screaming out to me is that power supply, very poor indeed. Should really change it for something better, Corsair Rm650x if you can get it.

Changing modular psus require you to replace the cables as well. Industry isn't standardised regarding cable pin arrangement so highly likely the cables won't be compatible with the next psu. Risk short otherwise.
If changing PSU is really the only solution for this problem then i might get new PSU. But i don't i want to afford that much money on PSU ( Corsair RM650X costed me around 160 USD in my country ). I could get between this option:
  • Cooler Master G600 80+ Gold (74 USD)
  • Seasonic Core Gold GM-550 80+ Gold Modular (81 USD)
  • Fractal Design Ion SFX-L 650W 80+ Gold Full Modular (92 USD)
  • be quiet! PURE POWER 12 M 550W 80+ Gold Full Modular (96 USD)

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Fractal Design Ion SFX-L 650W is pretty decent and based on Seasonic Focus SGX platform. It'll perform well enough.

Still, cost for an exceptional psu which Rmx is, shouldn't be a factor really. If you can afford it, it's not that much more and it would have to be one of the most popular power supplies out there, and for good reason.

zx128k

Reputable
I was able to find some reviews for the PSU.

I would pay $10 more to get a product with a proven track record of reliability and support instead of just getting a decently performing PSU that uses low-quality caps and a sleeve bearing fan. In power supplies, the two most important parts are the capacitors and the cooling fan. If either fails, it takes the other parts with it unless you notice the fan's failure and replace it before the other parts overheat for prolonged periods and eventually fail. 1st Player is very confident when it comes to the long-term reliability of their PSU as it does come with a seven-year warranty, but as I can't yet possibly know their level of support, I am skeptical. source

we have no reliable data on the failure rates that (genuine) ChengX/AsiaX capacitors actually have. source
reddit really like this PSU.

The only good 1stplayer PSU is the Steampunk 80+ Gold. Anything else from that brand is low tier.
Check out the PSUCultist tier list on Tom's Hardware for more details

Last edited:

lim.stevenchandra

Honorable
Nov 23, 2017
Fractal Design Ion SFX-L 650W is pretty decent and based on Seasonic Focus SGX platform. It'll perform well enough.

Still, cost for an exceptional psu which Rmx is, shouldn't be a factor really. If you can afford it, it's not that much more and it would have to be one of the most popular power supplies out there, and for good reason.
I was able to find some reviews for the PSU.

reddit really like this PSU.
Most likely the PSU.

One thing you can check is that under "Power Options" in Control Panel, make sure its set to High Performance.
After i swapped the PCIe x8 PIN from my PSU the problem seems gone, i only tested by playing 6 match on Valorant with the firestorm app open, haven't tested more than that but i will try to save up to get the Corsair RM650X and yes, i already do High Performance on windows power plan. Thanks to you all.

Reactions: zx128k

lim.stevenchandra

Honorable
Nov 23, 2017
Little bit update, swapping the PCIe cable didn't solve the problem. I did limit my Valorant FPS to 200 and the problem gone. GPU power draw sitting on 60-80W on PCIe. If i remove the FPS limit the GPU power draw went up to 120+ and then the stuttering began to happen and GPU PCIe power drop to 60 W. I tried to disable DOCP, Rollback driver seems nothing help. I tried to run 3DMark TimeSpy and Firestrike but didn't get any spikes other than waiting or loading into the new scene (According to Benchmark result. I don't watch the HWmonitor at that time). I tried to play modded minecraft with shaders and it run smoothly on 180 FPS without any stuttering.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech