[SOLVED] [Solved] USB Over Current Use Detected Your PC Will Shutdown in 15 Seconds (Asus H110 M-A/M.2 Motherboard)

Jul 3, 2019
Hi guys, I have been suffering from this error for a while. Now, I have tried all sorts of solution as you can imagine. I've unplugged the front USB connector from motherboard for both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 and that doesn't work, and since the back ports are built in to the mother board, I can't do anything to it. Even when all USBs are ostensibly unplugged it keeps giving me the same error. I think it's important to mention that all my USB 2.0 ports has been practically unusable for very long time. It started after I reinstalled windows and I presumed it was a driver issue and kept on using the 3.0 ports of which I had three. Also, if I plugged in anything on the 2.0 ports it kept giving me "power surge on the USB ports" or "USB device not recognize" error. Anyway, then the error started happening and I have no clue. After a suggestion from one friend, I took the CMOS battery out and the BIOS was reset to default. After that I was able to boot in to the Windows peacefully. But it started coming back just like again after a day. Ever since then I practically have to reset the BIOS to enter Windows. It's darn annoying. Please help.
Motherboard: Asus H110 M-A/M.2
CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 7th gen
PSU: Non-branded A dot Tech 220V
Error: Image

Last edited:
Solution
Well my machine has been up and running for two years and no sign off "crappy PSU" or USB issue came up until I reinstalled windows and even at that point the USB 2.0 started to either not respond to a USB connected or "power surge on the usb ..." popped up. I think you should go a little easy on my PSU, haha. Anyway, I think I have found a way to fix the problem. Thank you all.

No.

That's the thing with bad PSUs. They sllllllooooooowwwwwly kill components. Sometimes within a year. Sometimes in two or three. That poor power output has to get filtered down the line somewhere. Which means the motherboard, graphics card, etc. And they can only take so much abuse before they show signs of failure. It's a fact. That's why...
Get a better power supply
check the USB ports for dust, shortcuts, things that don´t belong in there
update the BIOS via EZflash within the BIOS and an USB flash drive (downloaded bios unzipped on it)

if you wanna take the risk, you can disable the warning inside the BIOS

Jul 3, 2019
Get a better power supply
check the USB ports for dust, shortcuts, things that don´t belong in there
update the BIOS via EZflash within the BIOS and an USB flash drive (downloaded bios unzipped on it)

if you wanna take the risk, you can disable the warning inside the BIOS

Power Supply is not causing the problem. I've tried to solve it with new PSU, no result.
No discernible damage, dust or anything in the USB ports.
Can you please elaborate on how to update the BIOS please for this particular MOBO?
What risk is there if I disable that warning? and How do I disable it anyway?

Which new PSU are you using now?

BIOS update:
download this file and unzip it to an USB flash drive:
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/H110M-A-M-2/HelpDesk_BIOS/
get into the BIOS, follow instructions (the USB part):
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1012815

Disconnect the front panel of the PC and have a look if the USB power surge detection error is showing.
Also have a look at the ATX i/o shield at the back. Is it installed correctly and nothing is disturbing the USB ports

The risk by disabling the safety feature of this motherboard is that it could be that there is really an issue with the USB on your motherboard and it could damage the motherboard. But after this you would be able to RMA it for sure. (warranty)
The power surge can be disabled in the advanced BIOS menu, should be like in this video
View: https://youtu.be/i9aLjH-b6AU?t=94

Jul 3, 2019
I'm using the same PSU as mentioned in the post. I've tried out different PSU (all non-branded) but none of them have made any difference.
I updated the BIOS according to you said. Additionally, updated all drivers of the computer. But so far no luck. Like I said, I've plugged everything out and then put back everything back in place. There is no change after all that. As of now, I've disable all USB 2.0 ports from BIOS and only kept the ones (three) USB 3.0 ports on. Let's see what difference does it make. I think it is noteworthy to mention that after I take the CMOS battrey out and rest the BIOS everything works fine. Even if I turn the computer off and turn it on after 30 mins it works fine. But when I boot it like after 12 hrs or so the error starts to come out again.

Jul 3, 2019
Which new PSU are you using now?

BIOS update:
download this file and unzip it to an USB flash drive:
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/H110M-A-M-2/HelpDesk_BIOS/
get into the BIOS, follow instructions (the USB part):
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1012815

Disconnect the front panel of the PC and have a look if the USB power surge detection error is showing.
Also have a look at the ATX i/o shield at the back. Is it installed correctly and nothing is disturbing the USB ports

The risk by disabling the safety feature of this motherboard is that it could be that there is really an issue with the USB on your motherboard and it could damage the motherboard. But after this you would be able to RMA it for sure. (warranty)
The power surge can be disabled in the advanced BIOS menu, should be like in this video
View: https://youtu.be/i9aLjH-b6AU?t=94
Do you think there is any way the problem can be traced back to the CMOS battery?

Jun 6, 2019
Go to the BIOS and disable the USB controller. This will make all your USB ports unusable however, so you will need to get a PCI/PCI-E to USB2/USB3 expansion card. Just check whichever expansion slot you have available, while making sure the GPU will not block installation.

EDIT:

Looks like you already tried this, but in this case you will need to disable all the USB ports. Even the USB 3.0.

is that all you got?
I mean if it was a power supply issue I couldn't have solved it by resting the bios you now

We'll.. You admit to using nothing but crap PSUs, sooo....

If the USB ports are getting their power from the +5VSB rail and the +5VSB is out of spec (because they're crap PSUs) then it's going to screw up the USB ports.

If you're lucky, the poor quality power from the PSU didn't permanently damage your motherboard (because that's what cheap PSUs do).

is that all you got?
I mean if it was a power supply issue I couldn't have solved it by resting the bios you now
Well, at least I have a working rig 🆒

You could replace the motherboard then, because you know that the PSU is powering on every time and the motherboard only works if BIOS is resetted.

Besides that, if this error comes up again, don´t reset the BIOS. Only unplug the power from the wall and press the power button on the case for about 30seconds. Replug power and try again. Is the USB working after this too?

Jul 3, 2019
We'll.. You admit to using nothing but crap PSUs, sooo....

If the USB ports are getting their power from the +5VSB rail and the +5VSB is out of spec (because they're crap PSUs) then it's going to screw up the USB ports.

If you're lucky, the poor quality power from the PSU didn't permanently damage your motherboard (because that's what cheap PSUs do).
Well my machine has been up and running for two years and no sign off "crappy PSU" or USB issue came up until I reinstalled windows and even at that point the USB 2.0 started to either not respond to a USB connected or "power surge on the usb ..." popped up. I think you should go a little easy on my PSU, haha. Anyway, I think I have found a way to fix the problem. Thank you all.

Jul 3, 2019
Go to the BIOS and disable the USB controller. This will make all your USB ports unusable however, so you will need to get a PCI/PCI-E to USB2/USB3 expansion card. Just check whichever expansion slot you have available, while making sure the GPU will not block installation.

EDIT:

Looks like you already tried this, but in this case you will need to disable all the USB ports. Even the USB 3.0.
Okay so turns out your suggestion kind of helped although I did it before you said it. I had a hunch whatever the issue is my USB 3.0 are perfectly fine so I went to the BIOS and disabled all USB 2.0 ports and kept the 3.0 running. It's been 48 hours and I haven't yet faced any error. Everything running smooth like butter. Although, now I only have 3 USB ports which is kind of an ordeal to be in, I'll get a PCI/PCI-E USB slot expansion card when I can. Thank you for the help.

No.

That's the thing with bad PSUs. They sllllllooooooowwwwwly kill components. Sometimes within a year. Sometimes in two or three. That poor power output has to get filtered down the line somewhere. Which means the motherboard, graphics card, etc. And they can only take so much abuse before they show signs of failure. It's a fact. That's why there are cheap PSUs and good PSUs. The cheap ones kill components. The good ones don't.

Solution