Question (Solved) Visual artifacting/glitching in BIOS, Boot, and Windows. Worse with higher refresh rate set in Windows, better while in games.

May 4, 2023
UPDATE: It was the monitor. Actually, it was both monitors (the second monitor I tried displayed similar issues, but was also broken, my family failed to mention it to me). But my monitor is under warranty, so that's positive.
-------------
I have a pretty solid PC that I built about 2-3 years ago. Suddenly, without any windows or driver updates, I began experiencing pretty extreme graphical issues. Vertical lines, screen flashes black, flickering, and extreme artifacting. It is unusable with Windows is set to 144hz, it is better at 120hz, and I can use windows for non-demanding tasks at 60hz. My gut is saying CPU or MOBO, because when I open a game that uses the GPU, the problem is very minimal, nearly non-existant. Nothing is/was overclocked.

I have tried some pretty big fixes, and have not figured it out.

Tried another GPU, same issue

Reseated and applied new thermal paste to my CPU

Tried connecting to another monitor, same issue

Tried single stick of RAM, tried a different set of RAM - same issue

Tried using an old 2600x - I couldn't get the machine to boot (not sure if that is somehow involved in the problem).

Tried connecting other devices to the monitor, just for kicks - issue did not affect my Shield TV

Completely uninstalled display drivers (using UDD) and reinstalled

System restored to a week prior to the issue

Flashed/updated bios (they were still the original, if its not broke - why fix it)

Checked my disks, and found my NVME did have some errors, but it seems unrelated.

Just got done swapping the PSU to a new one. Went from an 850w XFX pro black, to a Superflower Leadex III Bronze (new)

Anyone have any next step recommendations or thoughts? Since it is present on boot/in bios, I am not going to waste time with reinstalling windows. Temps are all well within reason. I am beginning to think it has to be the CPU or mobo. I have an old 2600x I will try swapping in tonight. Then I will swap the ram (which requires me to remove my AIO.

Last edited:
May 4, 2023
Sorry didn't see it the first time when reading your post. Since the artifacts shows in bios, and you tried other gpu, I would say your motherboard is the culprit.
That wasn't on you - I went back and edited in the info in case someone else was reading the post.

Here's a curveball...I bit the bullet and went to Microcenter and picked up a new cpu/mobo combo. The issue still happens during boot and in windows (above when set to 120hz or 144hz). I am so confused...and it takes a lot to confuse me with this stuff.

So it cannot be the Mobo/CPU, as the new ones do the same thing.

I tried the pc on a different monitor and it did the same thing

I tried a different GPU.

I would think its a corrupt windows install, but it happens in BIOS...so that rules that out.

That wasn't on you - I went back and edited in the info in case someone else was reading the post.

Here's a curveball...I bit the bullet and went to Microcenter and picked up a new cpu/mobo combo. The issue still happens during boot and in windows (above when set to 120hz or 144hz). I am so confused...and it takes a lot to confuse me with this stuff.

So it cannot be the Mobo/CPU, as the new ones do the same thing.

I tried the pc on a different monitor and it did the same thing

I tried a different GPU.

I would think its a corrupt windows install, but it happens in BIOS...so that rules that out.
Wow this is like arresting someone for murder and finding out they didn't do it.

So if you have a new motherboard and cpu you have to assume one of the added hardware to the motherboard is your culprit. You have ruled out the gpu, the ram, the monitor. Have you tried a different m2? Anything else added to the motherboard? You said you bought a new psu, did you use the cables that came with the new psu?

May 4, 2023
So if you have a new motherboard and cpu you have to assume one of the added hardware to the motherboard is your culprit. You have ruled out the gpu, the ram, the monitor. Have you tried a different m2? Anything else added to the motherboard? You said you bought a new psu, did you use the cables that came with the new psu?
Yes, I swapped the PSU and cables to the new unit. Nothing else added to MOBO. I have 2 m.2 drives, one for windows, one for larger games/media. I suppose I could try a fresh install on my second M.2 to see if that clears it up - but I didn't think the M.2 was used during bios. Worth a try I suppose. I actually got an new DP 1.4 cable today and it didn't help. (I had tested a really old version, and HDMI).

I actually tried the onboard/integrated gpu on the Ryzen 7900x I got and hooked directly to the mobo, and it didn't fix it.

I keep going back to the monitor...but I am not sure how that could be it, since I tried another monitor. Unless windows can affect bios/boot somehow.

Yes, I swapped the PSU and cables to the new unit. Nothing else added to MOBO. I have 2 m.2 drives, one for windows, one for larger games/media. I suppose I could try a fresh install on my second M.2 to see if that clears it up - but I didn't think the M.2 was used during bios. Worth a try I suppose. I actually got an new DP 1.4 cable today and it didn't help. (I had tested a really old version, and HDMI).

I actually tried the onboard/integrated gpu on the Ryzen 7900x I got and hooked directly to the mobo, and it didn't fix it.

I keep going back to the monitor...but I am not sure how that could be it, since I tried another monitor. Unless windows can affect bios/boot somehow.
Like I said it is a mystery. Bios boot does not involve windows at all, but a bad piece of hardware connected to a good motherboard can. But usually, it causes a fault of some kind. It is in Bios and Windows so it has to a bad piece of hardware (well best guess) that affects the video output. You don't have a big stereo speaker next to your pc do you? And have you tried the pc on a different power plug in another room?

May 4, 2023
I wanted to circle back on this - since you spent time trying to help...I have solved the mystery. After all the time, wasted money, and effort - it was the monitor(s). My monitor was bad, but Iater found out the other monitor I tried it on had been having it's own issues (and no one told me).

The simplest solution is always the easiest...right.

But thanks for your responses!

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch
I wanted to circle back on this - since you spent time trying to help...I have solved the mystery. After all the time, wasted money, and effort - it was the monitor(s). My monitor was bad, but Iater found out the other monitor I tried it on had been having it's own issues (and no one told me).

The simplest solution is always the easiest...right.

But thanks for your responses!
Can't fix what you don't know. lol.