Some advice on my PC build

Exsecutor GG

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015
Hello, I would like to build a PC and have €1000. I already have an SSD and HDD and don't plan on buying a PC case at this moment. I've come up with this build:

Y9oZnl5.png

I still have around €300 for a 144hz monitor and headset. The PC is for home use and gaming (Overwatch, Destiny 2, and similar titles). I don't plan streaming or overclocking anything.

In the future, I plan to upgrade GPU for a turing-based one and add an additional 8GB stick of RAM as well as putting everything in a nice case.

What do you think of this config? Does it seem fine or are there any changes can be done to save up some money or get xtra perfrormance from the same price?

Solution
That would be a significantly better card. Vapour recommended it due to its better thermals/quiet operation. As for the 8400 to the 8500, the 8500 runs at a significantly higher baseclock for around 10 Euros more. That is very beneficial for tasks such as gaming. Also, the B360 chipset is far more competent than H310. H310 simply sacrifices too many features (such as PCIe 3.0, SATA, etc. etc.) to justify the relatively small savings you'd encounter. Here's a build that I'd recommend, the headphones are up to you:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8500 3GHz 6-Core Processor (€219.00 @ Paradigit)
Monitor: AOC - G2460PF 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor (€199.00...

Exsecutor GG

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015

I am in the Netherlands. Yes, Team Group Vulcan 8GB is €10 cheaper than Corsair Vengeance 8GB. I don't know which one I should pick, so I went with Corsair. I've never heard of Team Vulcan RAMs. Or should I go with Vulcan and save €10?

It's Azerty NL, in Dutch. I picked a gold certified PSU, with a potential for future upgrades. I don't know about GPU, I thought GTX1060 wasn't that hot? What would you recommend?

Thanks for the replies.

Team is pretty reliable when it comes to RAM. Generally, 1060's don't run hot, but "mini" versions of the card often run quite a bit hotter due to their compact design/less capable cooling. PSU Efficiency is meaningless if you have one built from poor quality componentry. I would look into a unit from SeaSonic.

Also, here's my opinion on working peripherals into your budget: I would not recommend sacrificing the quality of your PC for the sheer purpose of getting better peripherals. With 1000 Euros, you're still likely to be able to afford a 144hz panel, but there's definitely some improvement to be had regardless. There are likely some better deals to be had on monitors. Can you buy them from anywhere else?

Exsecutor GG

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015

Guess I will pick Team Group RAM then.

What about this one? It's a dual fan version, shouldn't have any problems with cooling.

I would agree with you but I also want to get the best experience as possible. I am pretty sure I wouldn't be comfortable playing on a 60hz monitor and with a cheap-ass headset. In fact, I might go with GTX 1070, but a good 144hz cost around €200.

I would appreciate if you could give some explanation behind the changes. I changed to this GPU.

Thanks for the replies.

That would be a significantly better card. Vapour recommended it due to its better thermals/quiet operation. As for the 8400 to the 8500, the 8500 runs at a significantly higher baseclock for around 10 Euros more. That is very beneficial for tasks such as gaming. Also, the B360 chipset is far more competent than H310. H310 simply sacrifices too many features (such as PCIe 3.0, SATA, etc. etc.) to justify the relatively small savings you'd encounter. Here's a build that I'd recommend, the headphones are up to you:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8500 3GHz 6-Core Processor (€219.00 @ Paradigit)
Monitor: AOC - G2460PF 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor (€199.00 @ Paradigit)
Other: Gigabyte B360M H (€69.00)
Other: Team Group Vulcan- DDR4-2400Mhz (€73.00)
Other: MSI GTX 1060 6GT OVC1 (€300.00)
Total: €860.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-24 19:02 CEST+0200

Also, here's a significantly sufficient PSU for a very good price (do note it's not modular, you'd have to spend a bit more for that): https://azerty.nl/product/be+quiet%21/894369/system-power-8-600w-voeding--intern--atx12v-2-4-eps12v-2-92

You can use the remaining budget to invest in another 8GB of RAM, or you can go out and get that headset. Entirely up to you.

Solution

Not that poor quality psu, dude.

8500 is faster for not much
B360 is better chipset with more features
Full size 2 fan gpu has better cooling
Seasonic Focus Plus is one of the best PSU's and brands, better than Cooler Master and cheaper.

Exsecutor GG

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015

With the price difference of €30, do you think this one is better for the setup? I mean, the one you just mentioned is bronze certified and the other is gold. Also, will the bronze certified one sustain the system if I upgrade the GPU to a more powerful one?

Don't cheap on PSU, the S12II is solid in old times. However, it lacks a few modern regulations/protections compared to Focus Plus, and not DC-DC like Focus Plus.

Bronze or Gold doesn't matter much, like 2-5% efficiency difference, but not for quality or how well they can perform.