Some apps can't use internet while others can

AdGo

Honorable
Apr 4, 2015
Hey guys,
I am experiencing a weird problem.
Steam app can't access internet, however steam chat can !
Steam says that it is not connected to internet, while I can chat with my friends on steam.
Also, I can run online games.
On the other hand, my browser says - Couldn't connect to DNS server.
I asked a friend of mine and he said it is router's problem. Well i need to confirm that
Do you guys know any solution for this ?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Solution
Is it Kaspersky Anti Virus or Kaspersky Internet Security? I am bassically trying to figure out what you are using firewall(s).

So no chrome, and no IE. Is this Win 7, 8 or 10?

While you may not intentionaly be using a proxy server, this at least used to be one of a viruses favorite settings to mess with; simply plut a blank entry in for proxy server and poof you have no internet from any application that uses the windows settings.

Do this too:
Open a command prompt
Type nslookup www.google.com and see if it gives you back an IP address.
If it does then type tracert (ip address from earlier) and tell me how many hops it gets before it times out.
Your router does not care about what programs you are using. It can care about what ports are being used but that does not sound like the problem here.

Either an infection has modified your main system settings (like dns, proxy etc) so any app that uses windows default wont work but apps that use their own settings does work
Or your firewall is preventing access.

What internet browsers do and dont work, and what anti-virus product are you using?

AdGo

Honorable
Apr 4, 2015

I was using Kaspersky anti-virus. However, the license expired about a month ago.
I can't use Google Chrome, Steam (only steam chat works) also IE doesn't work.
PS- I am not using any proxy server. This problem started arising since the past 2-3 days

Is it Kaspersky Anti Virus or Kaspersky Internet Security? I am bassically trying to figure out what you are using firewall(s).

While you may not intentionaly be using a proxy server, this at least used to be one of a viruses favorite settings to mess with; simply plut a blank entry in for proxy server and poof you have no internet from any application that uses the windows settings.

Do this too:
Open a command prompt
If it does then type tracert (ip address from earlier) and tell me how many hops it gets before it times out.

Solution
Feb 22, 2020

Do this too:
Open a command prompt

I am having a similar problem. I can access websites on Chrome and MS Edge no problem. Google Backup & Sync and Dropbox also fine. However, my Kindle App, Netflix App, and MS News browser tell me "no internet". The MS internet tray icon also says "no internet".
Runnin Win10 x64 Pro, BitDefender Total Security, Windows Firewall disabled.
Used to be that ethernet haad this problem, so I would tether to my iPhone or go wifi, and then the system and all apps would register that I am connected to the internet. Now nothing works for those apps.
Also - I followed the above instructions and tracert got 8 hops
Any thoughts?
Michael

TRENDING THREADS