[SOLVED] Some games installed on my "Secondary SSD" makes my PC restart

sturelarre

Reputable
Apr 30, 2018
Hi everyone,

Another wierd problem that I've is that the PC keeps restarting/crashing while starting some games, like Halo: Master Chief Collection or Hunt Showdown, but when I run RDR2 or Shadow of the Tomb Raider on max settings its completely fine... Shouldn't these last two games be much heavier?

I've seen other threads that might suggesting that my PSU isn't strong enough, but as said, why does it let me run RDR2 and Tomb Raider fine?

Edit: I had no problem with running a OCCT stress test on the CPU just now, which is makings me even more confused :/

Edit: So I've a intressting update. Apparently these resets has to do something with my secondary SSD, because I tried to download the Halo on my main SSD/boot device, and it worked perfectly. So I decided it had to be my SSD and I ended up buying a new one - Samsung EVO 870. I just finished downloading Halo on it, and the same thing happened! So it has nothing do with a specific hardware, but rather the relationship between with the rest of the PC and the SSD... Isn't it wierd then, that I can play some games on my secondary SSD's and others no?

Specs:

MB: Asus TUF x570
CPU: RYZEN 7 5800X
Cooling: NZXT Kraken Z63
GPU: MSI 3080 TI GAMING TRIO X
PSU : Corsair SFX series SF750
RAM: 4 × Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4-3600 C18 DC - 16GB
SSD: Samsung PRO 950 500 GB
Secondary SSD's: 2x Kingston 1TB

I would be very grateful for any kind of help!

Thank you for your time:)

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

So I just build a new PC, and for the first time I'm using a AMD CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x, and I feel like it's always hot. Yesterday it staying at 60 C° when I wasn't using it for much - just had some apps in the background like NZXT CAM, ICUE and Wallpaper engine, is that normal? I keep reading that is normal for Ryzen to be around 40 C° when Idle, but 60 seems too much for me for just running som apps in the background, especially since I'm using water cooling.

Another wierd problem that I've is that the PC keeps restarting/crashing while starting some games, like Halo: Master Chief Collection or Hunt Showdown, but when I run RDR2 or Shadow of the Tomb Raider on max settings its completely fine... Shouldn't these last two games be much heavier?

I've seen other threads that might suggesting that my PSU isn't strong enough, but as said, why does it let me run RDR2 and Tomb Raider fine?

Specs:

MB: Asus TUF x570
CPU: RYZEN 7 5800X
Cooling: NZXT Kraken Z63
GPU: MSI 3080 TI GAMING TRIO X
PSU : Corsair SFX series SF750
RAM: 4 × Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4-3600 C18 DC - 16GB

I would be very grateful for any kind of help!

Thank you for your time:)
Make sure the pump is running at 100% all the time.

Nov 6, 2021
I have the same problem as you. My CPU is also Ryzen 7 5800x and my GPU is also RTX 3080 TI GIGABYTE. My idle temperature is around 35c-40c. When I play my typical games like PUBG, CSGO and BF1, I get around 70-75c, sometimes I hit 80c but just for a second. But the sudden restart happens when I play PUBG and BF1. When I play CSGO, GTA V I do not get these "random restarts". Anyway, have you tried checking your event viewer? I get this "Critical" error in event viewer stating "A fatal hardware error has occured" and "Reported by component: processor core". At first I thought it is just my RAM or PSU but given the details stated in the event viewer, looks like Processor is the problem. IDK overheat maybe? But 70-75c is expected temp while gaming, not mentioning that I have Firefox opened with 3 tabs while gaming (been a habit). AMD said that Ryzen 5000 series is expected to have max temps of 90c. My theory for now is that we got a faulty CPU.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Wallpaper engine
I while back, I'd read that this was a resource hog of a background app. Don't know if it was ever fixed or patched.
Suggest uninstalling it, if it bothers you enough.

2)"Another wierd problem that I've is that the PC keeps restarting/crashing while starting some games, like Halo: Master Chief Collection or Hunt Showdown, but when I run RDR2 or Shadow of the Tomb Raider on max settings its completely fine... Shouldn't these last two games be much heavier?"
Careful. That's one of the games reported to make the RTX 30 gpus kill themselves like they do in New World in regards to drawing power over their intended specs. Probably not a good idea to keep running the gpu at 100% in that one.
Lower the card's power limit(70-80%) and set an fps cap.
Hunt: Showdown might be a similar case, IDK; haven't seen or heard anything on it.

3)"I've seen other threads that might suggesting that my PSU isn't strong enough, but as said, why does it let me run RDR2 and Tomb Raider fine?"
Games don't 'hit' the hardware the same. If they did, then everyone could run any game they wanted to stress test their gpus and so on.

4)Edit: I had no problem with running a OCCT stress test on the CPU just now, which is makings me even more confused :/
5800X can use far less power than 3080Ti does when stressed.

All that said:
Have you updated the chipset driver and bios at all since you got that cpu and mobo?
And the ram - was it in the same package, or were they separate packages? If you added ram, then try running only the first kit in A2 and B2.

sturelarre

Reputable
Apr 30, 2018
1)Wallpaper engine
I while back, I'd read that this was a resource hog of a background app. Don't know if it was ever fixed or patched.
Suggest uninstalling it, if it bothers you enough.

2)"Another wierd problem that I've is that the PC keeps restarting/crashing while starting some games, like Halo: Master Chief Collection or Hunt Showdown, but when I run RDR2 or Shadow of the Tomb Raider on max settings its completely fine... Shouldn't these last two games be much heavier?"
Careful. That's one of the games reported to make the RTX 30 gpus kill themselves like they do in New World in regards to drawing power over their intended specs. Probably not a good idea to keep running the gpu at 100% in that one.
Lower the card's power limit(70-80%) and set an fps cap.
Hunt: Showdown might be a similar case, IDK; haven't seen or heard anything on it.

3)"I've seen other threads that might suggesting that my PSU isn't strong enough, but as said, why does it let me run RDR2 and Tomb Raider fine?"
Games don't 'hit' the hardware the same. If they did, then everyone could run any game they wanted to stress test their gpus and so on.

4)Edit: I had no problem with running a OCCT stress test on the CPU just now, which is makings me even more confused :/
5800X can use far less power than 3080Ti does when stressed.

All that said:
Have you updated the chipset driver and bios at all since you got that cpu and mobo?
And the ram - was it in the same package, or were they separate packages? If you added ram, then try running only the first kit in A2 and B2.

Thanks, I'll try it out once I get home! Armoury crate says everything is up to date. The ram came in two different packages, also do you think I should run a stress test on my gpu?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Armoury crate says everything is up to date.
I don't know if I could rely on that, but ~ehh, it's not Driver Booster/Easy... maybe Asus knows what the heck they're doing.

The ram came in two different packages, also do you think I should run a stress test on my gpu?
That's a flag. Test with just one kit in slots A2 and B2, see if it happens again.

sturelarre

Reputable
Apr 30, 2018
I don't know if I could rely on that, but ~ehh, it's not Driver Booster/Easy... maybe Asus knows what the heck they're doing.

That's a flag. Test with just one kit in slots A2 and B2, see if it happens again.

So I've downloaded avg driver installer, and updated all my drivers. I also used one pair of ram fram the same set in A2 and B2, but no success.

I did cap the power to 70 and 80% but that didn't work either. I even tried to stress test the PC with 3Dmark, heaven and cinebench, but everything went perfectly 😅

I tried to launch warzone and the PC restarted again.

sturelarre

Reputable
Apr 30, 2018
I just tried with another PSU (860W) and no success. I'm starting the think that the GPU might be faulty or the MOBO.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So I've downloaded avg driver installer, and updated all my drivers...
~Don't... please don't use these programs. This will make things harder.
They can update to outdated drivers, or update ones you never even knew you had.
I don't really know where to go from there. You might even have to reinstall Windows in the worst case - some of them auto driver updaters be that bad.
Manually attempt to install/update the latest motherboard chipset, lan and audio drivers, as well as the gpu driver, and pray it's enough...

I just tried with another PSU (860W) and no success. I'm starting the think that the GPU might be faulty or the MOBO.
Gpu and psu:
-black screen, but system is still running. Usually caused by psu voltage dropping too low.
-black screen, but system shuts off. Some protection kicked in - thermal, current, voltage, etc. PC does not restart from this, requiring the user to manually switch the psu off and on again.
-random artifacts or spots on screen. Overheating gpu memory or a bad OC.
That's about as much as I know about 'em. That's why I had come to the conclusion the issue was drivers/software or ram - but since you've already tried just one kit with no success...

About the only way to test the mobo is with another one, and that inevitably results in clean installing Windows.

Reactions: sturelarre

sturelarre

Reputable
Apr 30, 2018
~Don't... please don't use these programs. This will make things harder.
They can update to outdated drivers, or update ones you never even knew you had.
I don't really know where to go from there. You might even have to reinstall Windows in the worst case - some of them auto driver updaters be that bad.
Manually attempt to install/update the latest motherboard chipset, lan and audio drivers, as well as the gpu driver, and pray it's enough...

Gpu and psu:
-black screen, but system is still running. Usually caused by psu voltage dropping too low.
-black screen, but system shuts off. Some protection kicked in - thermal, current, voltage, etc. PC does not restart from this, requiring the user to manually switch the psu off and on again.
-random artifacts or spots on screen. Overheating gpu memory or a bad OC.
That's about as much as I know about 'em. That's why I had come to the conclusion the issue was drivers/software or ram - but since you've already tried just one kit with no success...

About the only way to test the mobo is with another one, and that inevitably results in clean installing Windows.

Ok, thank you so much for the help! I'll do a clean install tonight or tomorrow! :)

sturelarre

Reputable
Apr 30, 2018
So I've a intressting update. Apparently these resets has to do something with my secondary SSD, because I tried to download the Halo on my main SSD/boot device, and it worked perfectly. So I decided it had to be my SSD and I ended up buying a new one - Samsung EVO 870. I just finished to download Halo on it, and the same thing happened! So it has nothing do with a specific hardware, but rather the relationship between with the rest of the PC and the SSD... Isn't it wierd then, that I can play some games on my secondary SSD's and others no?

sturelarre

Reputable
Apr 30, 2018
I have the same problem as you. My CPU is also Ryzen 7 5800x and my GPU is also RTX 3080 TI GIGABYTE. My idle temperature is around 35c-40c. When I play my typical games like PUBG, CSGO and BF1, I get around 70-75c, sometimes I hit 80c but just for a second. But the sudden restart happens when I play PUBG and BF1. When I play CSGO, GTA V I do not get these "random restarts". Anyway, have you tried checking your event viewer? I get this "Critical" error in event viewer stating "A fatal hardware error has occured" and "Reported by component: processor core". At first I thought it is just my RAM or PSU but given the details stated in the event viewer, looks like Processor is the problem. IDK overheat maybe? But 70-75c is expected temp while gaming, not mentioning that I have Firefox opened with 3 tabs while gaming (been a habit). AMD said that Ryzen 5000 series is expected to have max temps of 90c. My theory for now is that we got a faulty CPU.

Hey! So I found a post on reddit with the same problem, and apparently it's a problem the 5000 series have when the BIOS are not updated. I updated mine and I've no more problems! Just find a youtube video of how you update your BIOS and see if it works for you :)