[SOLVED] Some games stutter with pretty new pc

xanorigg

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
Hello, i build this pc like 6 months ago mostly for fortnite but i had stutter/fps drops then. After small break started to play apex legends but i get stutter when i have fps cap to 144 and it's mostly stays 144fps but when it falls to like 110-120 the game feels laggy and its very hard to aim etc. I tried overwatch and that game works smooth as butter. Specs: W10 pro 64bit, Ryzen 5 2600, 16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1596MHz (18-21-21-39, Prime x470 pro,nvidia gtx 1070 ti 223gb kingston sata-2 and 144hz monitor. temps at iddle around 50C and while gaming gpu 65-70 and cpu 60. speccy shows cpu 102 but i think it's false. (EDIT: everthing are low in game settings)

Solution
Now that you have done a clean install of Windows, you need to do all of the following, especially, but not ONLY, the clean install of the GPU card drivers.

Here are the first steps to take when trying to solve these kinds of hardware problems. If you have already tried these steps, all of them, exactly as outlined, we can move along to more advanced solutions.

If there are any you have NOT done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First, make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no...

logainofhades

Titan
Install AMD overdrive and verify those CPU temps. Are you running the latest GPU drivers, from Nvidia? Did you set your ram speed, within the bios, to verify it is running at the rated speed? Many boards will default to DDR4 2133 speeds, even if ram is rated to run higher. With Ryzen's sensitivity to ram speeds, it could very well be your problem.

xanorigg

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
Install AMD overdrive and verify those CPU temps. Are you running the latest GPU drivers, from Nvidia? Did you set your ram speed, within the bios, to verify it is running at the rated speed? Many boards will default to DDR4 2133 speeds, even if ram is rated to run higher. With Ryzen's sensitivity to ram speeds, it could very well be your problem.

I have newest drivers from 3 days ago, okay i will try that out. (here is what task manager shows View: https://imgur.com/a/cD77kBY
)

xanorigg

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
After installing amd overdrive pc shut off and i get these windows messages, computer detected problem and needs to be restarted error information gathered after that pc reboorts but i get the same mesaage wtf....?!?

xanorigg

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
A translation may help. I have never heard of AMD overdrive causing such an issue. It usually is the most accurate for AMD CPU temps, hence the recommendation. Have you tried getting into safe mode, or any type of windows recovery/repair menu?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode
I Deleted something from amd overdrive in safe mode and i was able to get this back working, so should i give overdrive another chance?

xanorigg

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
A translation may help. I have never heard of AMD overdrive causing such an issue. It usually is the most accurate for AMD CPU temps, hence the recommendation. Have you tried getting into safe mode, or any type of windows recovery/repair menu?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

First image said:
Restore
Windows did not load correctly
If you want to restart your computer and try again, click below to Restart the computer.
Otherwise, open the troubleshooting tool and add the settings, select the Open repair option settings. If you don't know,
which setting you should choose, please contact to know the person.
Restart the computer
new

and second:
The computer has detected a problem and must be restarted. Vithetietoja
collected, after which the system rebooted automatically
again.
44% done
Lisa data atasta ongelin from already the opportunity to korpuks.sia is simusta in hearts://www.news.com/stopcode
Prowystood. SYSTEM SERMIGE EXCPPITON
translate might be ** :(

Last edited by a moderator:

xanorigg

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
I do not think I would try to use it again. Have you done any malware checks? Also, is windows up to date? Also, Asus has a utility, for monitoring temps, and such. You could try that. Find your board, on their website, and download the utility from there.

I only have windows firewall, what is best software to do malware check? My windows is up to date. Temps are CPU: 53C and gpu 58C. It's wierd example in apex legends when i'm landing i have only 90-110 fps but it still feels smooth but when i get on the ground and start fighting and when my fps drops 120-130 for 144 its feels laggy and i get input lag so it's impossible to have good aim. so far LoL and OW works without problems, my high temps might be because i dont have back fan installed yet. [edit i have changed all kind of settings to make the game run smoother but so far no help, can reinstalling your os help?

xanorigg

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
Profanity removed. Do not post profanity on this forum, read the rules.
Last edited by a moderator:

logainofhades

Titan
Those temps look fine. You can use malwarebytes free to check for malware. If no other games are experiencing this, it is possible it is something to do with the game itself. Apex legends is a fairly new title, so it might not be quite stable yet. Might want to try the Apex legends forum, to see if anyone else is experiencing the same kinds of problems, that you are.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/bd-p/apex-legends-technical-issues-en

xanorigg

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
Those temps look fine. You can use malwarebytes free to check for malware. If no other games are experiencing this, it is possible it is something to do with the game itself. Apex legends is a fairly new title, so it might not be quite stable yet. Might want to try the Apex legends forum, to see if anyone else is experiencing the same kinds of problems, that you are.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/bd-p/apex-legends-technical-issues-en

Okay than you, i ran malwarebytes but nothing found. i heard other people have same problems but i've seen a lot of people who's game run smooth..

xanorigg

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
What does it mean if i cap my fps to 144 and it drops to 120 example then why the game feels laggy/i get input lag? shoulnd't 120fps me more than enough for smooth gameplay? if i uncap my fps is over 200 and never drops below 120. is it problem somewhere in the system or? should i reinstall windows, could that help?

AMD Overdrive is not supposed to be used with Ryzen systems. You need to not use that with your system. Use Ryzen master only if you are going to use an AMD utility. Ryzen master is the only Ryzen software offered by AMD that should be used with Ryzen platforms. Most Ryzen systems will BSOD with Overdrive installed.

xanorigg

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
AMD Overdrive is not supposed to be used with Ryzen systems. You need to not use that with your system. Use Ryzen master only if you are going to use an AMD utility. Ryzen master is the only Ryzen software offered by AMD that should be used with Ryzen platforms. Most Ryzen systems will BSOD with Overdrive installed.
Good to know now... my pc probably doed because used windows recovery but i dont have nvidia control panel anymore... and cant download the drivers manually cuz it says that its not compatible with my windows...

xanorigg

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
I was able to reinstall windows but i still occur in problem that i dont have nvidia control panel, i was able to download the drivers manually and i had nvidia control panel for few sec but it disappeared again when i clicked this... need help assp

Now that you have done a clean install of Windows, you need to do all of the following, especially, but not ONLY, the clean install of the GPU card drivers.

Here are the first steps to take when trying to solve these kinds of hardware problems. If you have already tried these steps, all of them, exactly as outlined, we can move along to more advanced solutions.

If there are any you have NOT done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First, make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second, go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

The last thing we want to look at, for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Here are the full instructions on running the Display driver uninstaller and CLEAN installing new drivers.

Graphics card CLEAN install tutorial using the DDU

Hopefully, that will resolve things.

Solution

xanorigg

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018

First, make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second, go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

The last thing we want to look at, for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Here are the full instructions on running the Display driver uninstaller and CLEAN installing new drivers.

Graphics card CLEAN install tutorial using the DDU

Hopefully, that will resolve things.

Hello brother i used ddu like 1000 times but i got my nvidia control panel back by deleting drivers with ddu and in safe mode i was able to install the newest gpu drivers. I got chipste drivers. I'm only behind by 2 bios updates, do you really think i should update it? The problem was my ncp was missing and downloading drivers trought exprience didint bring ncp back, and trying to install gpu drivers in normal mode just said that its not compatible with my windows. but it's all good now i guess.

I always recommend updating the BIOS. They don't usually release new BIOS versions just for fun, and unless the new BIOS is only for support of new processors, it's usually a good idea to stay up to date. That being said, if you don't want to update, and everything is working fine now, then don't. There's no reason you have to update if you are not seeing any further issues.

For the future, Geforce experience sucks. You'd be better off without it when it comes to installing or uninstalling drivers. In fact, I don't like it at all and it seems to cause more problems than it solves. GeForce experience is usually not a required component of the Nvidia driver package, so it's not something you have to use if you prefer not to. Last I checked you could install stand alone versions of all Nvidia drivers without any component of GeForce experience.