Some People Are Smashing Their PS4s Right After Purchase

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan

What loss? With a little luck, they may earn 2-5X that amount back on Youtube. Smashing PS4s on launch-day was a risky investment with high potential gain... a relatively smart thing to do as long as there aren't too many other people doing it.

Eddie2Dynamite

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
Stupid "American" brats don'regroup us with these idiots and get of it stricken high horse, everyone hates America until they need us for something. America des more in foreign aid then any other 3 counties put together. How about you study a little history before opening it ignorant mouth. If not for the US you would be speaking German, south Korea would be living under a dictatorship, and many millions would have died of hunger if not for the US. That being said, yea these people are jerks. Could have made someone very happy for Xmas or whatever it holiday may have been instead of being a complete tool

innominata

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
Uh, they are doing it to make advertising revenue on youtube. I read an article where they interviewed a guy who destroyed the iphone 5 in the apple store. He had made $8000 off the video.

It's simple economics. If you can get 10 million Xbox supporters to watch you smash a ps4, then you profit.

g-unit1111

Titan

Serious? Why have I not been doing this? :lol:

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
What's up with these smashing videos? It's not new. Nobody really cares anymore since it's already been done before.

Yes it's pure publicity stunt.

excursion

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Lets see store got their money , sony gotten theirs and these people spend 399 plus tax for 5 minutes of amusement. Such bad investors , I plan on getting a PS4 not this year maybe the next year $299 version 2 model with less bugs.

the only losers in such a event is the people smashing the ps4 , out a console , out 400 bucks and a lot of respect.

chuckchurch

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2005
I doubt they're just individuals. Sounds like a group of people put a pool together to pull it off. Or maybe it's Sony just trying to get more publicity. Or maybe it's Microsoft just having fun.

InvalidError

Titan

Assuming the guy who smashed a PS4 in the first video was associated with the people who posted the videos of him on Youtube, his 500k views should have earned them over $2000... so, instead of being $400 under, they are more than $1600 over.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
For those that think they're idiots for smashing $400 worth of new tech, I hope you realise they're going to get $3000+ for every million views they get on youtube. You could use that to buy another 5 ps4's if you wanted.

InvalidError

Titan

The video on the third link still had under 30k views last time I checked. Still a long way from recovering his "investment" there!

jl0329

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
If you hate those idiots, just don't visit their Youtube video. No views = no profit.

They make $$ off the views. That's the whole purpose. It's not about being famous, the 1st coward covered his face. It's about making $$.

And it's not a waste if that video makes him more than $440.

9Spinx

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
They could have used that money to feed and clothe a starving child for a year. Instead, they spend it on something expensive just to destroy it? That doesn't make sense. I have no problem with someone using their money to buy something they want, but to waste it like that? There's just something wrong with that.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

While I don't disagree with your central point... Because America is the power that be, tens upon tens of millions of people work in sweatshops globally to support the US's hunger for cheap goods, multiple countries have starved due to US run trade embargos because the country in question didn't do business/conduct itself in the way the US wanted, pre-emptive war against sovereign nations is a fact of life rather than a forgotten evil, innocent civilians are killed by US drones around the globe, the sub-string of international spying has never been stronger, and the Imperial system just won't bloody die. America has plenty of bad on its ledger to counteract the good.

I think the US has been a force for good over all, but citing a bunch of stats isn't the way to prove it - because, simply put, if X wasn't happening, Y or Z would be happening instead. Since you can't show that X is better than Y or Z, citing all sorts of facts about X being wonderful doesn't mean much. We may all have been better off without an oil hungry capitalist nation of warmongers steering the global rudder - but we'll never know.

PS - why is speaking German so bad?

Achad92

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
No way in hell people would waste $400 to just do this. I bet Microsoft is behind this and pay these random people to do this. Unless people are this fucked up in the head...

Status
Not open for further replies.