Question Some questions about the Intel over-voltaging issue

Aug 14, 2024
I have some questions for the PC experts related to this new I7/I9 over-voltaging issue. Apologies if there's already a thread with these answers, please feel free to direct me to it if so.

- Is the over-voltaging problem equivalent to what would happen if you overclocked your CPU?

- Does the problem with the over-voltaging stem entirely from the increased CPU temperatures this brings? So if you have adequate/excellent CPU cooling, the over-voltaging wouldn't be a problem?

- Is there a good way to test your CPU to see if it's already been damaged by the over-voltaging issue?

- Is the microcode update a motherboard update? I.e., is it something you'd flash onto your motherboard? Are there some motherboards that are (mostly) unaffected by this issue?

I have an I9-13900K with an MSI - MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK mobo and Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 cooler that I got last year and haven't used much yet (been distracted with migrating my current setup over, etc.). When I did use it I never noticed CPU temps going much above 40C, so I'm *hoping* that I haven't damaged my CPU yet, but best to know sooner rather than later in order to get in the extended warranty period.

Last edited: