News Some Raspberry Pi 4s Can Now Overlock to 2.3 GHz. Here’s How.

Oct 17, 2020
Actually, you can bring it up to 2.35 GHz. I have been running my Raspberry Pi 4B 8GB unit at this speed since the Sep-2020 firmware updates. Stable as a rock, no lock-ups, no crashes. I use "over_voltage=15". (Use 16 and the Pi4 won't boot). Also, you don't need to use "force_turbo=1" to achieve 2.35 GHz. I don't include that line in my config.txt files on my Pi 4B 8GB and my new Pi 400, and they both run stable at 2.35 GHz. You do need good cooling if you are going to run at these speeds though. I use an Argon One case for my Pi4B 8GB. My Pi 400 is able to run at 2.35GHz without extra cooling (its massive heat spreader is excellent at keeping thermals in check).
Here are the lines I use in my "/boot/config.txt" file:
---
[all]
arm_64bit=1
hdmi_enable_4kp60=1
over_voltage=15
arm_freq=2350
gpu_freq=750
gpu_mem=256
---

Even if your monitor is only Full HD 1080p, you should still add the "hdmi_enable_4kp60=1" line as this sets the GPU's base clock from 500MHz to 550MHz.

A word of caution about using the "force_turbo=1" setting in conjunction with anything higher than 6 in "over_voltage". It immediately sets the OTP warranty bit, voiding your warranty. Even if you don't care about the warranty, using "force_turbo=1" is just wasteful because it prevents the SoC from dynamically stepping down to a lower frequency whenever there isn't a need for maximum processing power. This will cause the SoC to run hotter than necessary, possibly shortening the SoC's lifetime.

Last edited:
Reactions: panathas

CooliPi

Reputable
Oct 4, 2019
Is there something about 8GB Raspberry Pi which makes them better for overclocking?

It's PMIC runs at 1.5MHz instead of 1MHz like in the previous models of RPI4 model B. Means 50% more energy can be pumped to the 1V rail.

Our 4GB units rebooted when stressed with linpack on all four cores - above cca 1860 MHz. 8GB model is fine. The effect of overheating the PMIC and its inductors decreases output current, i.e. if you let it run at higher temperature, it reboots sooner (1-4GB model).

Look at the PMIC on 8GB model and compare it to the CM4 - it's the same. And in Raspi 400 also the same, upgraded layout and presumably frequency.

I run my 8GB model at 2200MHz with over_voltage=8, but I might try higher. Passive cooling with CooliPi.

Jun 17, 2022
Is there something about 8GB Raspberry Pi which makes them better for overclocking?

It's PMIC runs at 1.5MHz instead of 1MHz like in the previous models of RPI4 model B. Means 50% more energy can be pumped to the 1V rail.

Our 4GB units rebooted when stressed with linpack on all four cores - above cca 1860 MHz. 8GB model is fine. The effect of overheating the PMIC and its inductors decreases output current, i.e. if you let it run at higher temperature, it reboots sooner (1-4GB model).

Look at the PMIC on 8GB model and compare it to the CM4 - it's the same. And in Raspi 400 also the same, upgraded layout and presumably frequency.

I run my 8GB model at 2200MHz with over_voltage=8, but I might try higher. Passive cooling with CooliPi.

Yes, as far as I know newer raspberry pi's after the 8GB model was released, and all subsequent 8GB models have 2 phase power delivery, allowing for higher clocks/voltages on the cpu. This also added the functionality of a built in oc using arm_boost=1 in config.txt