Some strange possible BIOS issues

forzahorizon3guy

Honorable
Apr 6, 2018
so a day or 2 ago.... i got a old optiplex GX 260... from my local thrift store with intentions of turning it into a 2nd file server...

Now heres the weird part about it

its that they had it setup with keyboard and everything to show that its completely functional... i bought it but once i got it home it suddenly dosent boot or anything it gets stuck in the bios with the error of

Unable to boot press F1 To try again... i press F1 same message...

because so far this is explainable... i know everything works at least on the hardware side but could be bios be corrupted?

Sorry if its a dumb really simple issue im good with hardware... but even a basic software issue can stop me.....

stdragon

Admirable
That can happen if you've plugged in a USB hard drive of some sorts. Also, the HDD might be having intermittent issues powering up. As such, it wouldn't enumerate. The only way to be sure is to go into BIOS and see if the internal HDD is being identified as a piece of hardware that's online and ready to be used. If you don't see any SATA device connected, then that's the source of the problem.

For starters, turn off and unplug the computer. Wait about 30 seconds, then reconnect both power and SATA cable connections to ensure a good contact.

stdragon

Admirable
BTW, you said OptiPlex GX260. Are you sure? Jesus, that's really OLD! Not even SATA. It's IDE / PATA (UDMA)

If it's truely IDE HDDs, you'll need to validate the ribbon cables and that the MASTER/SLAVE jumper settings are set correctly.