[SOLVED] Some thermal past got around GPU

Apr 13, 2020
I decided to clean my Graphics card and I replaced the thermal paste the Temps increased, I think because of the thermal paste quality (I'm using cooler master thermal paste that it came with my CPU cooler) so I cheaked my GPU and I found the paste isn't evenly spread, so I spread it across the GPU. The temp slightly dropped but the GPU extreamly underperformed most of the game I used to ran them exceeds 60 fps on highest setting but it instantly reached 30 fps (using GeForce GTX 1660 Ti) so I opened my GPU again and I found there is a bit of thermal paste around one of the pins around the GPU (I don't know what it's called) I don't know what's the problem. Could it be the reason of that? Or I shorted my GPU - I don't think so because it posts-

Solution
update : I replaced the thermal paste but the issue is the same.I think It's thermal throttling sense the temps exceeds 80 C - that's why I'm getting 50% less performance- , the temps are min of 41 (idle) and 85-91C max (load)
It's either from the bad quality thermal paste or the dusty thermal pads that's in the graphics card I don't know.

The thermal pads should be dirty unless you allowed them to get dirty when you removed the heatsink. If they are dirty you will need to buy new thermal pads.

Secondly make sure you aren't over applying the thermal paste, I would suggest you use a thermal paste spreader, or even a old credit card or giftcard to spread the paste out evenly on the GPU chip.

Third thing is how much to...
Apr 13, 2020
get some Q tips and IPA and clean it up - did you put new TP over old TP? ALWAYS clean off any old TP before you apply - and apply about half what you did there.
update : I replaced the thermal paste but the issue is the same.I think It's thermal throttling sense the temps exceeds 80 C - that's why I'm getting 50% less performance- , the temps are min of 41 (idle) and 85-91C max (load)
It's either from the bad quality thermal paste or the dusty thermal pads that's in the graphics card I don't know.

Last edited:

The thermal pads should be dirty unless you allowed them to get dirty when you removed the heatsink. If they are dirty you will need to buy new thermal pads.

Secondly make sure you aren't over applying the thermal paste, I would suggest you use a thermal paste spreader, or even a old credit card or giftcard to spread the paste out evenly on the GPU chip.

Third thing is how much to torque down the screws that hold the heat-sink on. I believe most cards have thread stops so you should tighten the screws until they stop, but not hard. If they don't have a thread stop I think Nvidia tightens GPU mounting screws to between 2-3 in lbs. Again I'm not 100% sure I'm going off something I read a few years ago.

Last thing, I would really suggest buying better thermal paste. Noctua NT-H1, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, and Arctic MX-4 are really good.

Solution
https://pasteboard.co/J3IoAFb.jpg
the white thermal paste that's the around GPU is the manufacture's one and it's dry. The gray one is the new.
Indeed too much thermal paste (1/6 of this will be enough) but the problem seems to be improperly fitted heatsink. Try fitting it by making one twist per screw at a time, so it seats flat and touches the surface evenly.
If you took the big plate off too (which you should not), get new silicon pads, they do not like to be disturbed and you may end up with a fried MOSFET or artifacts due memory heat damage. They are cheap.
Edit: clean the mess first and make sure not to dent the chip and the components around it, it is expensive to replace.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020
based on what I see and the information I have gathered from you, I don't think it's about thermal pads. Yes, they are dusty but that's how I saw it when I opened the GPU. BTW, what's the optimal thermal conductivity for thermal pad I have seen these cheap thermal pads but I'm afraid they are bad or something like that. How about this thermal pad it's the same color of the one in my graphics card
I think there isn't enough surface contact between the GPU and the heat sink despite I tightened the screws well (the screws have thread stops).
I should get better thermal paste which I ordered but it will take quite awhile to arrive. However, the thermal paste I'm using is the same one that I used on my CPU, and the temps are stable, which tells me that the issue is between the GPU and the heat sink.
Thankfully I ordered a new graphics card, planning to give the old one to my brother, but I won't give it to him in that condition. I guess I can't do that much till the thermal paste arrive.

Update: I have cut the excessive amount of thermal pad in VRM and added it to the GPU. The throttling went off but the temps are 86C (load) 53C (idle) It's much better as a temporary solution but no way I would play on 86C.

Last edited: