Some windows 10 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningStriker

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2014
Ok so I have windows 10 technical preview and I have been thinking about going back to my windows 8.
But I am actully interested in the windows 10 which as i've heard will be free to windows 7 and 8 useres for 1 year.
So my question is, if windows 10 (full version) comes out will it update me from technical preview to full?

Solution
At release time, assuming you have whatever the latest current preview is....the current theory is that yes, you can update to the final Release without reinstalling.

What they have NOT said is what happens with a clean Windows 10 Preview install.

Current Windows 7 and 8.1 owners can update to 10 for free. They have NOT yet said anything about someone who only has a Windows 10 install.
But to my mind...doubtful that would actually be 'free'. Win 7 & 8.1, sure, because you bought it. Win 10 Preview? Unknown.

USAFRet

Titan
At release time, assuming you have whatever the latest current preview is....the current theory is that yes, you can update to the final Release without reinstalling.

What they have NOT said is what happens with a clean Windows 10 Preview install.

Current Windows 7 and 8.1 owners can update to 10 for free. They have NOT yet said anything about someone who only has a Windows 10 install.
But to my mind...doubtful that would actually be 'free'. Win 7 & 8.1, sure, because you bought it. Win 10 Preview? Unknown.

Solution

Tseg

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013

This is interesting and agree MS has not been clear here... I had a Win 7 system that I used a Win 10.iso to wipe the whole drive and install Win 10... I hope I'm not left hanging. I can always reinstall Win 7 and upgrade 'the right' way if necessary, but I'd rather not waste a day in my life doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.