[SOLVED] Someone is pausing / muting media on my laptop remotely

kookman10

Reputable
Sep 25, 2016
Hey everyone,

I got a weird situation going on at the moment. Since a few weeks I've been noticing that youtube videos I was watching were randomly paused, unpaused and muted. Whenever I would unpause it, it would immediately pause again and sometimes it would rapidly pause/unpause. First I tought this was only a youtube issue, but now I noticed it happening too when I was watching a school lecture downloaded to my laptop (Dell XPS 15). There was nobody home at the time this happened. Did one of the neighbours break into the wifi, or did my laptop catch a virus? What should I do to prevent this from happening?

Thanks for your help!

Solution
Thanks for your reply! It's definitely not everyday 24/7, it's only happened about 4times the past few weeks (usually around 6 in the afternoon). I checked the task manager but didn't see anything really suspicious (not an expert on this subject tough) except a 'your phone' application even tough I don't think my phone is connected to my laptop.

Suspend the application if the issue is persisting and see if its resolved. YourPhone.exe is an app which connects your laptop to your phone. Try to also see if there is anything in startup, and just do a quick scan. Also is it only youtube that the issue happens?

As another fix, try to stop as much apps as possible if your RAM is filled to the brim. I had an issue with a tablet where...
Its very unlikely someone is pausing and unpausing your videos. Why would they do it remotely every day, 24/7 just to annoy you. And its no fun as well as it gets boring. Try checking your tasks in task manager or any apps that are suspicious. Just a quick test. We will get more in-depth if that is not the issue

kookman10

Reputable
Sep 25, 2016
Its very unlikely someone is pausing and unpausing your videos. Why would they do it remotely every day, 24/7 just to annoy you. And its no fun as well as it gets boring. Try checking your tasks in task manager or any apps that are suspicious. Just a quick test. We will get more in-depth if that is not the issue

Thanks for your reply! It's definitely not everyday 24/7, it's only happened about 4times the past few weeks (usually around 6 in the afternoon). I checked the task manager but didn't see anything really suspicious (not an expert on this subject tough) except a 'your phone' application even tough I don't think my phone is connected to my laptop.

Suspend the application if the issue is persisting and see if its resolved. YourPhone.exe is an app which connects your laptop to your phone. Try to also see if there is anything in startup, and just do a quick scan. Also is it only youtube that the issue happens?

As another fix, try to stop as much apps as possible if your RAM is filled to the brim. I had an issue with a tablet where it paused media for unknown reasons and It was because too many apps were running.

Solution