Question Someone is typing in my address and search bars

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 13, 2023
Someone is typing in the address bar of my computer. They also type in the search bar of whatever page I am at. For example I could be on duolingo and they would type in that page’s search bar. This can happen in any page which has a search bar. The messages contain personal info that I don’t know how they got. It is a brand new computer so this is both puzzling and scary. Any help would be appreciated!!

USAFRet

Titan
While messaging with the moderator he suggested that the router might be compromised and that the phones are defaulting wirelessly to the router, regardless of whether the phones and the router are serviced by different companies.
The router is not "compromised".

The other person is literally in control of it, by design.

Your devices are on his network.

If he has set up the router with no password for WiFi, and this only happens with WiFi connected devices, then it is VERY likely they are defaulting to connect to that router. His router.

Solution?
Don't let your devices connect to his router and network.

Dec 13, 2023

If he has set up the router with no password for WiFi, and this only happens with WiFi connected devices, then it is VERY likely they are defaulting to connect to that router. His router.

Solution?
Thanks for your reply. How do I not let the phones or the desktop computers connect to the router? What other ways would there be to get service safely while I am living in that house?

Dec 13, 2023

Solution?
Also this was happening before with the computer which was connected by Ethernet cable and not WiFi. Could they still bypass the cable and get to the computer or does that even matter?

USAFRet

Titan
Also this was happening before with the computer which was connected by Ethernet cable and not WiFi. Could they still bypass the cable and get to the computer or does that even matter?
If your systems are connected to that router, yes.
WiFi or ethernet, does not matter.

This isn't a random 'hack' from some nefarious hacker on the other side of the planet.
This is a person you sort of live with.
Your devices are apparently on his network.

Solution:
Do not use that router and connection.

I don't know what your whole environment is...how you are all connected, who pays for this, and who has control over the router and other equipment.
But that would seem to be the problem. To me, at least.

Dec 13, 2023
Can you show any screenshots?
Honestly - without any evidence, I don't believe a single word.
Seems like trolling to me.
I did not think to get screenshots and haven’t turned on the devices since this happened. It’s pretty much as I described though. No one I’ve talked to has heard of something like this so I can understand the doubt. The only reason I keep replying is to see if I can get pointed in the right direction or make some sense of this. I’m not a tech guy at all and so far this forum has been very helpful. Thanks to all and sorry for all the questions.

Dec 13, 2023

This isn't a random 'hack' from some nefarious hacker on the other side of the planet.

Solution:

I don't know what your whole environment is...how you are all connected, who pays for this, and who has control over the router and other equipment.
So
Phones are easy.
Turn off WiFi.
It was turned off with the iPhone which was on cellular data with wifi off. As far as the tracfone, I don’t really know how it gets its signal.

Dec 13, 2023

Solution:

Thanks that’s what I have been thinking. However how else can I get service while I still live there? Can you have two different isps into the same house? And even if I can do this, how can I keep the new router from getting hacked? Sorry for all the questions. Like I said before I’m not a tech guy just seeking some answers from more knowledgeable people. So far it seems to be leading in the right direction that’s why I keep responding. Thanks again for all your help.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks that’s what I have been thinking. However how else can I get service while I still live there? Can you have two different isps into the same house? And even if I can do this, how can I keep the new router from getting hacked? Sorry for all the questions. Like I said before I’m not a tech guy just seeking some answers from more knowledgeable people. So far it seems to be leading in the right direction that’s why I keep responding. Thanks again for all your help.
I am entirely unsure how you would get a second ISP and connection.
That is a conversation between your ISP(s), and the property owner/landlord.

A second connection, with a router you control...won't get "hacked" unless you are not careful.
You have the passwords and physical control.

Now...if someone else can have physical control over that router, all bets are off.

Reactions: Ralston18