News Someone Made Ubuntu Look Just Like Windows 11

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
Well that's obviously much easier because Windows 11 is copying the KDE Plasma look.

It's also the only thing I like so far about Windows 11: that switching desktops between my CentOS and Windows machines is even easiser than before.

Of course I put the start menu to the lower left on all of them, because that's where it belongs (never in the middle, because you'd have to precisely navigate there, while any corner is just a flick away).

Reactions: prtskg

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I installed it on Hyper-X and I can't seem to figure out how to get full screen. I hit Full Screen on the VM and the actual OS screen is small with a black around it.

Also, I have no Internet connection. How can I fix that?

Sep 18, 2021
I installed it on Hyper-X and I can't seem to figure out how to get full screen. I hit Full Screen on the VM and the actual OS screen is small with a black around it.

Also, I have no Internet connection. How can I fix that?

You need to create a Hyper-V switch and add that VM to the network. As for the screen resolution, change it in the VM. If you do not have PIN login enable you can use an enhanced session to have a better experience.

Reactions: david germain

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
You need to create a Hyper-V switch and add that VM to the network. As for the screen resolution, change it in the VM. If you do not have PIN login enable you can use an enhanced session to have a better experience.
Network - I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working because it had worked before. Then I realized possibly because of the fact that I changed routers not too long ago. Previous router died.
Resolution - windosfx 11 only shows one reslution, which has a screen ratio of 4:3. How would I get it to show 6:9 resolutions, thus 1080p?

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
The difference being that Windows actually works without needing to Google some arcane command line and it's associated 13 switches of nonsense.
de gustibus non est disputandum

but I'd rather have Unix switches than PowerShell ones.

The first CLI I used extensively was DCL from a PCP-11, the PC for me was always a CLI platform since DOS days and when it comes to CLI's Unix was always way ahead because you could get things done quickly.

Not that I mind GUIs, I was one of the first to write applications using GEM on PCs, before Windows became remotely usable in 80286 days.

I prefer choice over most everything and Windows 11 is all about denying choice: over the look, the browser and contined use of perfectly capable hardware like my Xeon E5-2696v3 with its 128GB of RAM and 6TB of SSD storage.

I'm pretty sure we'll soon be seeing Win7/10 type nagware or even forced updates on machines officially judged good enough for Windows 11, even my Atom machines, far less capable than the 18-core workstation. And that means two different UIs until Windows 10 dies on my older machines, just because Microsoft and Intel decided to decide for me. And once they've gotten away with that, this will now repeat every two to three years, just what the planet needs.

A Personal Computer to me has always been my personal machine with nobody but me deciding what's in it and on it. It's the reason I switched from my Apple ][ to a PC when it became obvious that Jobs wanted to eliminate choice for ease of use. I hate that infecting everything else since.

Reactions: artk2219

david germain

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2013
The difference being that Windows actually works without needing to Google some arcane command line and it's associated 13 switches of nonsense.
upvoting this .
and you have to make sure they are all in the correct order and in the correct case, for reasons. and because its a slightly different build all the google answers are out of date.

Reactions: artk2219