[SOLVED] Something is causing BSOD but I dont know what is

Status
Not open for further replies.

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021
Ive been getting black screens for a pretty long time now, but everytime it happens i can still hear my friends and they can still hear me but I have to hold the power button to retstart now ive been getting BSOD. (kernel mode heap corruption) (unexpected kernel mode trap) (kernel thread priority floor violation)

Ryzen 7 3700X
RTX 3080 Ti
32GB Ram 3200Mhz
850W 80+ Gold NZXT C850
X570 Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wifi
WD blue 1 TB M.2
WD Blue 1TB SSD

Solution
CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 this set has been tested with that board by Asus
Corsair have also tested it with MB & CPU
CMW16GX4M2C3200C16 wasnt tested by Asus
Corsair tested the ram with MB & CPU

In other words, it should work.

ötzi

Proper
Apr 2, 2022
But did you try one? Specs seem okay so I would look at the software side first to rule out the BSOD's from that element... Hardware failures are also much easier to establish with that done.

ötzi

Proper
Apr 2, 2022
BSOD messages you described can either be software / driver related or system RAM, run Memtest to check if the RAM is not faulty, if not do a clean install.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
but everytime it happens i can still hear my friends and they can still hear me but
That's not a BSOD, which is a solid Blue screen, usually accompanied by white text stating Windows has occurred an error (often gives the exact error code), is contacting Microsoft and will reset is XX seconds.

What you describe sounds more like a Black screen, where the picture goes completely black, but the pc as such is still functional. That's almost always a gpu issue, whether hardware such as vram overheating or driver conflicts.

Vram overheating, VRM's overheating, gpu overheating is almost always a result of lousy airflow to the gpu heatsink, whether that's a failed fan or bad case airflow. It can sometimes be simply a bad card, bad paste, failed thermal strips.

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021
I ment the BSOD started happening recently now, before it would just be a black screen, I also think its just a bad card then because I can hear the fans ramping up and then ramping down when it is cooler. (EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ti)

Colif

Win 11 Master
That's not a BSOD, which is a solid Blue screen, usually accompanied by white text stating Windows has occurred an error (often gives the exact error code), is contacting Microsoft and will reset is XX seconds.

(kernel mode heap corruption) (unexpected kernel mode trap) (kernel thread priority floor violation)
Sure sound like BSOD to me. Not normal ones I see either, so could be hardware of some sort.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021
Sure sound like BSOD to me. Not normal ones I see either, so could be hardware of some sort.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
i cant it says i dont have permission to do it.

also forgot to mention sometimes when booting up the screens will go black and play the driver sound then whenever i open discord it says new nvidia audio has been installed

Colif

Win 11 Master
i cant it says i dont have permission to do it.
are you doing step 3?
as you don't own the original files, the system does. But you own any copies made of the dumps. So if you select them on the desktop, they should work.
also forgot to mention sometimes when booting up the screens will go black and play the driver sound then whenever i open discord it says new nvidia audio has been installed

do you use the Nvidia audio at all? does monitor have speakers?
If you don't use it, do you use Geforce Experience to install drivers each time?
if answer to last question is yes, and you don't have speakers on monitor, do a custom installation and deselect the audio drivers. I was doing that for a while as discord would want to use Nvidia audio drivers even if I didn't want it to. Strangely it didn't do it when I just manually downloaded the drivers.

Or just run ddu in safe mode and reinstall your Nvidia drivers from scratch as it might fix the odd behavior card has been showing

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021
are you doing step 3?
as you don't own the original files, the system does. But you own any copies made of the dumps. So if you select them on the desktop, they should work.

do you use the Nvidia audio at all? does monitor have speakers?
If you don't use it, do you use Geforce Experience to install drivers each time?
if answer to last question is yes, and you don't have speakers on monitor, do a custom installation and deselect the audio drivers. I was doing that for a while as discord would want to use Nvidia audio drivers even if I didn't want it to. Strangely it didn't do it when I just manually downloaded the drivers.

Or just run ddu in safe mode and reinstall your Nvidia drivers from scratch as it might fix the odd behavior card has been showing
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtxNw3EjWAyHgjbJNqmCTkv3aJLS?e=3PD6ue

i do not use nvidia audio at all i have my own seperate speakers and only 1 of the monitors have speakers
but it keeps playing the driver installed sound and the screen stays black till i hit CRTL + SHIFT + WIN + B, then discord will also show nvidia audio installed
and the link is the minidumps
i have already done ddu in safe mode, itll show it worked then when i restart t o install the drivers it does the same thing

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Drivers are drivers. Pretty much, you don't dictate exactly which drivers get used for any specific application. Got nothing to do with which speaker or media or component setup you have, that's exterior to the pc.

Nvidia audio drivers are used in conjunction with DirectX, same as the graphics drivers. Windows has both, natively since Win10 as nvidia finally decided to get on board with Microsoft and the nvidia whql drivers package is now part of Windows.

The only thing you change when adding nvidia drivers is any updates to the whql and any card specific game/app optimizations. It's why when you DDU the nvidia drivers your screen no longer returns to 800x600 VGA resolution like in Win7, it's using the Windows native nvidia whql instead.

Black screens are generally always gpu related. Either drivers or hardware. Discord has a high functionality with nvidia, it'll use nvenc for streaming if you have an nvidia card. The audio drivers are part of that, so you'll often get updates when starting Discord if nvidia has put new drivers out.

I'd DDU the driver set you have, with windows in safe mode, reboot, then see if you still have conflicts. It's possible that the latest set of drivers isn't perfect (no surprise there) and it might be better if you do reinstall drivers, to do so manually, opting for a driver package 2 or 3 releases prior to current.

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021
Drivers are drivers. Pretty much, you don't dictate exactly which drivers get used for any specific application. Got nothing to do with which speaker or media or component setup you have, that's exterior to the pc.

Nvidia audio drivers are used in conjunction with DirectX, same as the graphics drivers. Windows has both, natively since Win10 as nvidia finally decided to get on board with Microsoft and the nvidia whql drivers package is now part of Windows.

The only thing you change when adding nvidia drivers is any updates to the whql and any card specific game/app optimizations. It's why when you DDU the nvidia drivers your screen no longer returns to 800x600 VGA resolution like in Win7, it's using the Windows native nvidia whql instead.

Black screens are generally always gpu related. Either drivers or hardware. Discord has a high functionality with nvidia, it'll use nvenc for streaming if you have an nvidia card. The audio drivers are part of that, so you'll often get updates when starting Discord if nvidia has put new drivers out.

I'd DDU the driver set you have, with windows in safe mode, reboot, then see if you still have conflicts. It's possible that the latest set of drivers isn't perfect (no surprise there) and it might be better if you do reinstall drivers, to do so manually, opting for a driver package 2 or 3 releases prior to current.
i did what u said and it still did the same thing a day later, i driver i installed was a driver from like 5 months ago which was working fine when i got this card

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
How clean is the windows environment? A fresh install, then a bunch of software/games added always comes with a price. A bunch of orphans and registry links to dead ends and temp files all wanting to have a say.

Could try opening a CMD with Admin, type:
SFC /SCANNOW
let it do its thing, then
DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH
I also will run ccleaner and the registry tool and clean out any leftover gunk from installs/deletes.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Conversion of dumps

report - Click run as fiddle to see report

File: 061222-12984-01 - Copy.dmp (Jun 13 2022 - 10:49:07)
BugCheck: [PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)]
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for vgk.sys
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: vgc.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 13 Min(s), and 29 Sec(s)

File: 090722-12390-01 - Copy.dmp (Sep 8 2022 - 00:34:33)
BugCheck: [DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 23 Hour(s), 36 Min(s), and 45 Sec(s)

File: 092022-8750-01 - Copy.dmp (Sep 21 2022 - 09:15:25)
BugCheck: [UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (7F)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: Discord.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 54 Sec(s)

Comment: 2 or more types of RAM are installed.

8192MB3200MHzUnknownCMW16GX4M2C3200C16
8192MB3200MHzUnknownCMK16GX4M2B3200C16
that is unlikely to be helping.
How long you been running 2 different sets? That can cause odd errors.

1st crash blames Vanguard, valorants anti cheat (though this crash is from June)
2nd looks like its nvme drivers, but I don't see any in your driver listing
do you use raid?
3rd crash isn't obvious.

There is a new BIOS (I have same MB, I know)
it might help - https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-ELITE-WIFI-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios
How to flash bios = - don't do it during storms or if you might have a power outage.
Grab latest chipset drivers before bios - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

Probably newer internet drivers here - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html
I also will run ccleaner
Don't run ccleaner until we find cause of BSOD as it deletes Dump files. Don' t really need it anyway.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Raid drivers are part of Windows natively. Also part of Intel rapid storage technologies. The PCH also supports 2 raid controllers, AHCI and SAS. The AHCI controller deals with Sata, nvme, raid 0,1,5,6,10 etc, and the SAS deals with scsi and other enterprise type drives.

So raid drivers are pretty much essential and totally wrapped up in dealing with a pc, whether a raid array itself is actively enabled or not.

From those bug checks, I'd say the ram wasn't as stable as it appeared to be. Might try bumping the voltage to 1.38v and SoC voltage to 1.2v. Also make sure gear down mode is on and fclock is set to 1600

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021
Conversion of dumps

report - Click run as fiddle to see report

File: 061222-12984-01 - Copy.dmp (Jun 13 2022 - 10:49:07)
BugCheck: [PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)]
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for vgk.sys
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: vgc.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 13 Min(s), and 29 Sec(s)

File: 090722-12390-01 - Copy.dmp (Sep 8 2022 - 00:34:33)
BugCheck: [DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 23 Hour(s), 36 Min(s), and 45 Sec(s)

File: 092022-8750-01 - Copy.dmp (Sep 21 2022 - 09:15:25)
BugCheck: [UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (7F)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: Discord.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 54 Sec(s)

Comment: 2 or more types of RAM are installed.

that is unlikely to be helping.
How long you been running 2 different sets? That can cause odd errors.

1st crash blames Vanguard, valorants anti cheat (though this crash is from June)
2nd looks like its nvme drivers, but I don't see any in your driver listing
do you use raid?
3rd crash isn't obvious.

There is a new BIOS (I have same MB, I know)
it might help - https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-ELITE-WIFI-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios
How to flash bios = - don't do it during storms or if you might have a power outage.
Grab latest chipset drivers before bios - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

Probably newer internet drivers here - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

Don't run ccleaner until we find cause of BSOD as it deletes Dump files. Don' t really need it anyway.
Yes 2 different sets but same brand, Corsair vengeance LPX, Corsair vengeance RGB PRO, ive been running 2 different sets for a long time now and nothing like this has happened before, i dont use raid

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021
How clean is the windows environment? A fresh install, then a bunch of software/games added always comes with a price. A bunch of orphans and registry links to dead ends and temp files all wanting to have a say.

Could try opening a CMD with Admin, type:
SFC /SCANNOW
let it do its thing, then
DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH
I also will run ccleaner and the registry tool and clean out any leftover gunk from installs/deletes.
says no corruption found and everything is normal

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes 2 different sets but same brand, Corsair vengeance LPX, Corsair vengeance RGB PRO, ive been running 2 different sets for a long time now and nothing like this has happened before, i dont use raid
Same brand means nothing. Could be the exact same model, and that still means nothing.

Ram is silicon chips welded to a pcb. Those chips are punched from a single sheet of silicon. That silicon isn't pure, there are impurities in it. It's those impurities that affect Secondary and Tertiary timings the most, which affects Windows stability.

When you buy a kit, the 2 or 4 sticks will all come from the same sheet, maximum compatibility, and you'll see serial numbers are mostly consecutive or very close. Sticks in a kit are tested at the factory for compatibility. Seperate kits are not tested for compatibility with other kits. Those kits all get mixed in the same container with others.

So even if you bought 2 kits, from the same rack, one after the other, of the same brand, model, color, speed, heatsink, rgb, size and timings, there's no guarantee they'll work together because the kits are not identical, regardless of the outer packaging or stats. Different silicon. There's the same chances of compatibility between a Corsair LPX kit and an identical Corsair LPX kit as there is if one was Kingston or Patriot or Crucial or GSkill with different timings and sizes and speeds.

When you mix kits there's only 3 results. They work, they work after adjustments, they don't work. Yours seem to be 98% compatible. So most operations, there's no issues, but roll the dice and get snake-eyes and you get a bsod error.

Chances are decent that changing the timings slightly, changing memory controller or dram voltages or other small adjustments will get you to 100%.

Or take that 2% completely away by not having the second kit and it's forced adjustments.

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021
Same brand means nothing. Could be the exact same model, and that still means nothing.

Ram is silicon chips welded to a pcb. Those chips are punched from a single sheet of silicon. That silicon isn't pure, there are impurities in it. It's those impurities that affect Secondary and Tertiary timings the most, which affects Windows stability.

When you buy a kit, the 2 or 4 sticks will all come from the same sheet, maximum compatibility, and you'll see serial numbers are mostly consecutive or very close. Sticks in a kit are tested at the factory for compatibility. Seperate kits are not tested for compatibility with other kits. Those kits all get mixed in the same container with others.

So even if you bought 2 kits, from the same rack, one after the other, of the same brand, model, color, speed, heatsink, rgb, size and timings, there's no guarantee they'll work together because the kits are not identical, regardless of the outer packaging or stats. Different silicon. There's the same chances of compatibility between a Corsair LPX kit and an identical Corsair LPX kit as there is if one was Kingston or Patriot or Crucial or GSkill with different timings and sizes and speeds.

When you mix kits there's only 3 results. They work, they work after adjustments, they don't work. Yours seem to be 98% compatible. So most operations, there's no issues, but roll the dice and get snake-eyes and you get a bsod error.

Chances are decent that changing the timings slightly, changing memory controller or dram voltages or other small adjustments will get you to 100%.

Or take that 2% completely away by not having the second kit and it's forced adjustments.
oh okay ill try that. also i havent been getting BSOD but ive been getting black screened while playing games like war thunder but i can still hear audio and my friends can still hear me

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021

i am back on a fresh install of windows, i downloaded a game started playing, then all of a sudden a BSOD but it was so short i couldnt see the error code then black screen then the PC restarted and theres no Minidump

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS