Question Something is eating away at the storage on my main ssd drive

rashadd26

Honorable
Nov 14, 2017
Hey again, and sorry to have to bother you guys again but I'm still having problems with my main ssd used for my operating system. So last time I was trying to figure out how to free up some space in which I was recommended to use the Wiztree program to upload a pic to this forum, and someone seen I had hibernation mode on and turning it off would free up a lot of space. That helped tremendously as my ssd is 250 gb but had less than 10 gb and turning off hibernation mode put it back at well over 30 gb.

But now some time later, I am back in a similar situation but I have not downloaded any new programs and yet I can watch my space going lower in real time. Just today from turning on the pc to opening this site, I went from over 20gb to now am sitting at 17.5.

I honestly tried to research a solution for myself as at first I redirected the page files to my other ssd drive (which is 1tb that i bought originally to switch my operating system on to bc of the storage issues), and then went through the process of cleaning up the internet history, and also did a disk cleanup. So that got me back from being under 10gb again to being over 20, but as I said something is eating away at my storage and the only thing Ive been doing lately is browsing the internet and watching youtube.

I'm honestly out of ideas at this point and the only thing I can think of is switching the operating system to the 1tb ssd, but the problem will still exist and am trying to find out what is eating up my storage at such a pace. If any one has any clues I would greatly appreciate it bc when the storage gets below 10 gb then the pc starts becomes very sluggish and moves as fast as a snail

USAFRet

Titan
Again, show us the screencaps.

Install and run either WinDirStat, or WizTree.

Run as Administrator, selecting only the drive in question.
Post a screencap here.

Also, a screencap of your Disk Management window.

Also, any game recording software going on?
Pagefile size and location?
Restore Points?

rashadd26

Honorable
Nov 14, 2017
Only thing i can add is i freed up a little space from the dwhelper am now am sitting at 22gb. Sometimes when i fisrt open my pc apps like razer and universal audio (for my music interface) will update. But in the past few weeks i've pretty much browsed the internet and watched youtube. I'm barely on my pc anymore due to this frustration, and just mainly use my ipad to browse and watch youtube

rashadd26

Honorable
Nov 14, 2017
Again, show us the screencaps.

Install and run either WinDirStat, or WizTree.

Run as Administrator, selecting only the drive in question.
Post a screencap here.

Also, a screencap of your Disk Management window.

Also, any game recording software going on?
Pagefile size and location?
Restore Points?
BbJeAbo.png

ULk8eHz.png

rashadd26

Honorable
Nov 14, 2017
How are you set up for other 'backups'?
If you have something else, you can turn Restore points off completely.
Freeing up 10GB.
I honestly have no idea. Are you asking that if i turn off restore points, do I have anything else for a back up plan?

USAFRet

Titan
I don't think so but I'm definitely open to suggestions, if you don't mind offering me ideas to look in to
Well, if you don't know, then you don't...;)

Lack of a good backup routine is a major cause of questions around here.
And the basic Restore Points, while better than nothing, is pretty useless. If that drive were to die, the Restore Point goes with it.

I use Macrium Reflect. Yes, it costs $$. But it has more than paid for itself over the years.

The first post here is a basic view of my routine. Modified since I wrote this years ago, but the basics.

rashadd26

Honorable
Nov 14, 2017
Well, if you don't know, then you don't...;)

Lack of a good backup routine is a major cause of questions around here.
And the basic Restore Points, while better than nothing, is pretty useless. If that drive were to die, the Restore Point goes with it.

I use Macrium Reflect. Yes, it costs $$. But it has more than paid for itself over the years.

The first post here is a basic view of my routine. Modified since I wrote this years ago, but the basics.
ok thanks. I'll look into it. Thanks for your help again