Something is weird with my GTX 970 HOF during GTA V

XII-19

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
So i was just playing around in my GTA V settings because i got my GTX 970 HOF delivered and installed today.. originally i had the game optimized by the recommended geforce experience optimal settings (@1080p, my natural resolution) and it worked well averaging 60fps. Then i started to play with some anti-aliasing settings and things got real weird after that.... i found that the game ran smoother when i switched on FXAA and MSAA at x4 with TXAA ON using 4.2GB VRAM. strange right? no bull, i swear!. i thought it'd smack that RAM gate hard and stutter but somehow it's actually managing well then for laughs i tried upping my resolution to the setting above 1920x1080 to 2715x1527 and it's still doing well between 35 to mid 50'ish fps.

Weirdest part was.... i turned off FXAA and MXAA and it starting stuttering like mad (15-20fps). tried lowering the resolution back to full HD and the stutters still exist and when i turned those settings on again back at 2k resolution.. it went back to smooth once more? I'm starting to think there's something wrong with my card but im not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing too.... did anyone else experience this with their GTX 970?

Only thing i know that could be different is the IC's used in the HOF edition GTX 970 are different; International Rectifier – IR3595 8 channel PWM controller, IR 3555M and the Samsung GDDR5 – K4G41325FC. Maybe the latest NVIDIA drivers did something? i just need some feed back from people to see what's going on and if my card is faulty or just plain odd. Reason this all started was because i was comparing the AA settings. Now im forced to play at this resolution, but its alright i guess considering there is less jagged lines vs 1080p but, it kinda doesn't feel safe. My temps hit 78 according to MSI After Burner which is fine but still.....

If it helps im running a 2700k @4.5GHz and 8GB G.skill Snipers @1600mhz on a Z77 board. The game is also installed on my HDD rather than my SSD (got a dedicated HDD just for games.) Any ideas guys? im stumbled.... i mean how could it get performance gains on higher settings? What is going on?