Prominent
Jun 22, 2017
I'm planning to buy a pc and found this bargain:
i7 920
20gb ram
radeon hd 5870 for cheap,
the problem with this pc is that it turns on but the monitor doesn't post

Solution

I would not buy a computer that does not display anything on the monitor, it may be a bargain but if it's not working what is the point? It also sounds like it would have a bunch of random RAM sticks stuffed in it not running in proper dual channel mode. Don't bother trying to fix it unless the system runs without the video card normally and it's cheap enough that you can just buy our own video card for it.

LepreNx

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015

Explain 'doesnt post'.

Does it just show 'No signal'? Check to see if you connected the cable of your monitor on your graphics card's slots and not the motherboard.

If it is connected to the graphics card, check to see if the fans are spinning on the graphics card. If it isnt, its probably the problem of that.

I would not buy a computer that does not display anything on the monitor, it may be a bargain but if it's not working what is the point? It also sounds like it would have a bunch of random RAM sticks stuffed in it not running in proper dual channel mode. Don't bother trying to fix it unless the system runs without the video card normally and it's cheap enough that you can just buy our own video card for it.

Solution