Question Sometimes getting Q-code 53 memory error on ASUS motherboard

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, I have the G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200C14 RGB RAM (16GBx4) and ASUS WS Z390 Pro motherboard.

After running my i9-9900K computer at DDR4-3200CL14 for a few days, suddenly I got a Q-Code 53 error when I turned on the machine. Resetting and force rebooting several times did not help. I removed two memory modules, disabled XMP, resit the modules and enabled XMP. It started working. However, a week later, same thing happened. Anybody knows what is going on? How do I know if it is the problem with the motherboard or the RAM? No other RAM nor motherboard to test and the return period is in 2 days. Shall I return the RAM and choose another product?

This RAM is not on ASUS QVL list but before purchase, G.Skill told me that it is compatible with my motherboard. When I had this problem the first time, G.Skill said they had no idea what is wrong but ASUS suggested me to return the RAM due to controller issue with the RAM and also lower the speed of the RAM. I inserted the RAM in the order G.Skill suggested: A2 B2 A1 B1, starting from the lowest serial number.

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14Q-64GTZR

Last edited:

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Thanks. I use Noctua heatsink.

Yes, all the way down. I unplugged the PC and waited for a few seconds. Plugged it back and got it working with 1 module inserted. When I inserted one more modules even with XMP disabled, I got BSOD with code WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. Now I am using only 1x16GB RAM. Do you think it is problem with the RAM?

If I give up on this brand and model, what products do you recommend? Do you think the Corsair Vengenance Pro RGB 8GBx4 would be better? Both Corsair and Asus have no idea if it will work.

I do not know why the list is so short. Not even 3200 is listed and there are not many 64GB kit even MB is supposed to support up to 4266MHz.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
That second module that caused the BSOD might be faulty. Try the other 2 (excluding the one that's already known to work and mark this one or note down it's serial number) one by one in the same working slot to see if they work too.

That WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (0x124) is a stop code that might indicate hardware problem including RAM. Several things can be done such as:

• Get all the latest updates with Windows Update.
  • Perform a System Restore
  • Disable Overclocking in BIOS
  • Troubleshoot driver issues in Safe Mode
  • Check for Hardware Issue
However, as I said, this occuring after inserting that second module might mean there's something wrong with that single module.

The QVL doesn't mean RAM not included in it won't work, it means ASUS has physically tested the board with those listed at the indicated speeds and setups and they have worked. You can get a pack that's guaranteed to work together and is on the board's QVL and a single faulty DIMM in the pack/kit would prevent it to work properly.

You can also run Memtest with the single module that seems to/might be faulty to see if it throws any error. You can test all other three one by one for error too.

G.Skill and Corsair make decent RAM and I personally would get kits from any of them but if ASUS and Corsair can't say if they'll definitely run what can I say?