Sometimes passes POST, Most of the time doesn't

Delthius

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
PC worked fine for about a year then started doing a restart loop (my guess is it wasn't passing post?)

I RMA'd the motherboard and PSU. I received a brand new PSU from Corsair, but I don't think they tested the old one.

Gigabyte tested my motherboard and said it was fine, and it shipped it back.

Rebuilt PC, sometimes passes POST and boots fine, sometimes it restarts once then tries to boot, most of the time it gets stuck in POST.

Currently bread boarding the motherboard and starting from scratch, checking for POST beep codes with each component phase.

Anyone have suggestions or been through this before?

Build:
HDD:
HGST Deskstar NAS H3IKNAS500012872SN (0S03835) 5TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

SSD (Windows 10 Installed On):
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E500B/AM

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-X99-SLI (rev. 1.0) LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM:
4 x HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 2666 RAM (Desktop Memory) CL15 XMP Black DIMM (288-Pin) HX426C15FBK2/16

Power Supply:
CORSAIR RM Series RM850 850W ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified

CPU:
Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3 GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W BX80648I75820K Desktop Processor

CPU Cooler:
Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX Extreme Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm (CW-9060021-WW)

Graphics Card:
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-3975-KR 4GB SSC GAMING w/ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling Graphics Card

Case:
Thermaltake Core X71 Black ATX Gaming Full Tower Tt LCS Certified Gaming Computer Case CA-1F8-00M1WN-00

7 case fans

Delthius

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
*UPDATE*

I realized the GTX 970's fans do not spin under idle load. I reinstalled it and after trying about 5 times, it got through POST and booted up. The only thing different I did was take out and re-insert the battery to reset the CMOS out of desperation.

This issue seems to be with the PC getting stuck in POST... any thoughts?

Delthius

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
Thanks for the response, Vic 40.

Yea the BIO is F22.

I didn't check if XMP was enabled. When I put it back together I'll see if I can check that.

I just tried booting with only the motherboard, CPU, CPU Cooler, and case speaker installed.

No beeps. Not passing post even just with those components!

I figure the best next step is to get a cheap stock CPU cooler off Amazon to rule out my CPU Cooler as the culprit?

If that doesn't fix it, it must be the CPU right? Assuming Gigabyte didn't half ass my motherboard RMA....

Delthius

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
Good idea Vic. I have a Seasonic 650 W in my other PC. I can pull that out and see if I get a response with just the motherboard, CPU, CPU Cooler installed.

I don't think the 650W has enough "umph" to run my whole system, but it could certainly run just the bare components.

I'll try that later tonight and let you know the results.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The 650watt will be fine for all your components. No need to really build it in.just lay it next to the case with the fan upwards and connect the cables to use.Might want to disconnect the other cables used from the psu within,but i think you'll be fine.
Do disconnect the other one from the wall.Can even use that ones power cable.

Delthius

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
Hey Vic,

Great suggestion. I snatched my SeaSonic 650W PSU from my working gaming computer, threw it in the broken one, and unfortunately had the same results.

PC powers on, no successful POST beep. About 1 out of 3 power ons it restarts once after about 10-15 seconds, then proceeds to not pass POST.

Unfortunately no good results, but at least this re-confirms it's most likely not the PSU. I've also checked the 850W PSU in my working gaming PC and it worked fine.

I ordered a cheap stock cooler off Newegg - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835203021 , as well as some artic silver thermal paste.

The new CPU cooler should be here in a few days. I want to install that and make sure my "high end water cooler" isn't causing the issue.

I'll keep you posted on my CPU cooler results. Right now all signs seem to be pointing at either the CPU or a bad motherboard from a half-assed RMA (although it IS Gigabyte, so I'd imagine they'd thoroughly test...)

Thanks again for your help and interest.

Delthius

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
I would like to add I did have my RAM incorrectly installed for a long time. I put them in slots 1A, 2B, 3A, and 4B.

The manual says, as you mentioned, to put them in the grey slots - 1A, 3A, 5A, and 7A first. I tried that orientation and didn't get any results.

Thankfully, since I RMA'd my motherboard, there shouldn't be a problem with it. Sure, the RAM could be an issue and is common to be at fault, but I'm not POST'ing with just CPU, PSU, and CPU cooler so I'm not looking at it as my main culprit.

Delthius

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
I tried options # 1 and 2, didn't do the trick unfortunately :(.

Maybe it did load the backup BIOS, but that's not the issue?

I haven't tried option #3. I'll give it a shot.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Well if this doesn't help does it look more and more and problem with motherboard or cpu. Strange thing that the cpu would crap out after a year,but maybe it did.

Can you test with the ram from the other build? I ask this because your ram is 1) not on the compatibility list (which doesn't say alot on it's own) 2) it works at first of PnP (plug'nPlay) which makes itself run at best settings and wonder since not in any of the speeds on the list if this PnP works out well with the motherboard.

Just saw this,passed it somehow earlier,but you need ram to post.

Delthius

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
When the PC was working well, I did not have a case speaker installed.

However... remember that I said if I put it all together and try enough times, eventually it WILL boot like normal? In those cases, it gives a short beep indicating a pass of POST.

When I don't get a successful boot, I do not get a case speaker error code ever.

I'm at my wit's end here on this. My CPU cooler should be coming in soon. I'm almost 100% positive that Gigabyte didn't perform a thorough RMA on my motherboard.

Do you think I should just bite the bullet and order a new motherboard, then if that fixes the problem, raise hell with Gigabyte and get them to reimburse me for it or something?

My next plan was to RMA the CPU... but I'm not convinced that's the problem, and it'll add another month onto my troubleshooting just waiting for the results on that.

What would you recommend Vic? :(

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

In that case should it give some beeps to say something is wrong with the ram.

Try to open a support ticket at the Gigabyte site,explain what is going on and see what they have to say. I can't imagine that suddenly the cpu craps out after a year.

Delthius

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
Plus, if the CPU was not working, I don't see how the system would boot every now and then? When I do get a successful boot, it's all good to go. Super fast and powerful.

If the CPU was busted, I doubt I'd ever get a successful boot.

Delthius

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
Ahh screw it. I don't think I'm going to RMA the CPU.

I'll open another support ticket with Gigabyte.

Do you have any motherboards you'd recommend with my specs?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
That you have problems wih this one doesn't mean to say you have problems with others too,might even be that the same board like this one will do fine.Just pick something that is within your budget and look at some reviews about it.Migth want to wait what that support ticket gives as a solution,that's up to you.

Delthius

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
Hey Vic,

I opened up another RMA with Gigabyte on my mobo. Trying to get them to send me a new one.

I don't think I'll RMA the CPU unless a new motherboard doesn't fix it. I highly doubt its the CPU since every now and then it will POST and work just fine.

Delthius

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
I did end up buying a stock CPU cooler and testing with that. Same results, ruled out my CPU cooler as the culprit.

I made a new RMA with GIGABYTE. After a mean email they agreed to do a direct swap, sending me a refurbished motherboard but not a brand new one.

So yea, at least I'll have a different motherboard to test with in a couple weeks.

That SHOULD fix the issue. I really don't think it's the CPU. We'll see.