Sony Announces External 100 GB Blu-ray Burner

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
Sounds like a good storage for a 4K quality videos. However, Blu Ray discs are still expensive compare to DVD. The prices are not dropping fast enough.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]Sounds like a good storage for a 4K quality videos. However, Blu Ray discs are still expensive compare to DVD. The prices are not dropping fast enough.[/citation]

give it time, bluray still isn't standard in everything bought today, i dont believe dvd prices dropped untill they stopped selling stand alone vhs players

[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]Most USB2 ports cap out near 30MB/s, also the reason there are 2 is because one is for data, while the other is for power. 100000MB/30MB/s means aprox 55min per full disc. Surprisingly faster than I expected, but will still take some time.I wonder which would cost more; The burner or the media?[/citation]

well lets go this way, about 20 dvds will fit on one of these blurays,
fire breaks out, you lose the dvds but bluray backup stored offsite

cost per disc will probably be about 40-50$ cost to replace dvd collection will probably be in the 2-400$ range.

hdds are cheaper, but they are also more susceptible to damage, at least magnetic, vibration and to a large extent impact. and even if part of the disc is damaged, you can still access it, unlike a hdd where it may cause a total failure.

c0oim4n

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
[citation][nom]theconsolegamer[/nom]BD XL for the PS4.[/citation]
Yea, if you're willing to pay $100-$120 per game. A single BD-XL disc costs upwards of $50, plus ANOTHER $50ish for the actual content. Good luck!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]c0oim4n[/nom]Yea, if you're willing to pay $100-$120 per game. A single BD-XL disc costs upwards of $50, plus ANOTHER $50ish for the actual content. Good luck![/citation]

when they press games en mass, the disc cost goes down, it costs more to make 4 layers of dye or however they do multi layer on burnables.

correct me if im wrong but wasn't mgs4 dual layer blu ray? it didnt cost more, but single layer and dual layer are miles apart in price.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]I really wonder who will be using this other than Pirates.....[/citation]
You must be an industry shill - which, I suppose, is just another way of saying that you must be a troll. :p

It is perfectly legal to record any broadcast program for your own personal use in the US. The supreme court decided this years ago. People other than pirates record things. There are many people out there who make their own home videos who want archival media like this.

Personally, I would like to have a stand-alone recorder with HDMI inputs in the US.

johannson

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
It is really a great product. When SONY is doing it, soon we will see other manufacturers following at more competitive prices (soon under $100) and of course with USB 3.0!

Regarding media,
100 GB Blu ray discs cost today about $50.
25 GB Blu ray discs cost today about $2
25 GB Bly ray discs cost $50 three years ago.

Once the factories start producing 100 GB in large quantities, pricing will drop dramatically. I expect to see prices of less than $20 for 100 GB Media in 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.