Sony: Developers Requested x86 Architecture for PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Way to listen to your developers and in turn what would be beneficial for your consumers Sony! EA could take a lesson from you guys. Here's to looking forward to the next-gen of consoles since they'll be x86 based and we can get some better attuned ports on PC (when the game is ported that is).

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Im glad they took this route with the PlayStation 4. Im actually kinda excited about a console, and I never thought Id say that ever again, after I started gaming on PCs pretty much exclusively since around 1998. Not saying I plan on ditching my gaming rig any time soon, but the fact that conversions of games should feel less port like has me excited as well. Not much longer and the bar will finally be raised all around. I hope, anyway! :p

timeandagain

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
No shit. I mean seriously, what developer wouldn't want a common architecture to develop their games on across the three major platforms (ps, xbox, pc)? It was the height of arrogence that Sony chose such exotic bullshit for the PS2 and PS3, and they never gave one shit for what the developers wanted before. But now that they've failed with the PS3 (relatively) and caused all kinds of harm to the teams that made games for it they're listening? Screw these jackasses.

I am actually excited for these consoles a lot because of the platform change. Now we can hopefully get better ports for PC.

I am excited to see what Microsoft offers too. Xbox 720 with X86 could have a huge advantage over Sony if they setup their games to work both on the Xbox and Windows for one price, or something along those lines(I doubt that though).

Developers must have hated that CELL processor garbage with the PS3.

I feel like Nintendo can't make a good console anymore, Wii systems were real let downs, people shouldn't buy those.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]I am actually excited for these consoles a lot because of the platform change. Now we can hopefully get better ports for PC. I am excited to see what Microsoft offers too. Xbox 720 with X86 could have a huge advantage over Sony if they setup their games to work both on the Xbox and Windows for one price, or something along those lines(I doubt that though).Developers must have hated that CELL processor garbage with the PS3.I feel like Nintendo can't make a good console anymore, Wii systems were real let downs, people shouldn't buy those.[/citation]

You realize Microsoft gets a cut off of games sold for the X-Box, right? You realize Microsoft won't even let you sell your game to someone else and have it usable on the 720, right?

But, you think they'll allow Sony games to run on their console, given that, and the fact they don't even know the precise hardware intricacies of the PS4, and don't have the development time left to do anything even if they did, considering they should be selling these machines in the near term.

This isn't going to happen. No way.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
2 things that are good about the PS4 for PC gamers. First is that it has 8 cores which inturn means that it might lead to more mufti threaded games. Most games only utilize a max of 3 cores which I think has something to do with the fact the Xbox 360 has 3 cores. Second is that it will obviously have to be programmed in 64bit which is good for PC gamers too. Consoles are holding gaming in the 32bit age so we need to progress.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
[citation][nom]timeandagain[/nom]No shit. I mean seriously, what developer wouldn't want a common architecture to develop their games on across the three major platforms (ps, xbox, pc)? It was the height of arrogence that Sony chose such exotic bullshit for the PS2 and PS3, and they never gave one shit for what the developers wanted before. But now that they've failed with the PS3 (relatively) and caused all kinds of harm to the teams that made games for it they're listening? Screw these jackasses.[/citation]

Don't know why you were downvoted, but you were absolutely right about the PS2/3. It was kinda funny----Sony had massive success with the PSX because it was incredibly easy to make games for---single efficient CPU and single feature laden, powerful Graphics chip. AND they had a good developer toolset.

So then what did Sony do? Completely ignore one of the most important reasons they dominated the Saturn (which was a hodgepodge of oddly slapped together silicon, and difficult developer tools), and put out the PS2, which made nothing easy for developers with its odd Graphics Synthesizer + Emotion Engine combo. When utilized to their full potential, the EE + GS could be quite potent. It was just very difficult and time consuming to do so. Same with PS3--a new, odd type of cpu that made its competition (360) look easy to optimize by comparison.

At least they've apparently FINALLY learned from their mistakes.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Ok, I have to Laugh at the Author of this post. First of all Sony's PS3 didn't fail, in total sales world wide it is actually tied or slightly ahead of Xbox360. And when it's all said and done, the PS3 will have slaughtered the 360 just like the PS2 did the original Xbox. I love setting the truth free......

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Way to keep us living in the past. x86? C'mon. FAIL![/citation]

There is nothing wrong using x86 platform as it's been enhanced over the years with additional instruction sets. But the biggest difference here is that the APU/GPU is the one is driving the game not just the CPU.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]Ok, I have to Laugh at the Author of this post. First of all Sony's PS3 didn't fail, in total sales world wide it is actually tied or slightly ahead of Xbox360. And when it's all said and done, the PS3 will have slaughtered the 360 just like the PS2 did the original Xbox. I love setting the truth free......[/citation]

You aren't considering the game purchases vs the console sales itself. AFAIK to this date Sony is still losing a decent amount of money anytime somebody buys a PS3. Last I looked, the game purchases to console purchase ratio was not good for the PS3 vs say, the X360. And I'm pretty sure the 360 console has always caused less of a loss for Microsoft for each sold (simpler design), which furthers Sony's defecit.

Dont get me wrong, I love my PS3 and its media streaming abilities. It just hasnt done as well as expected in turning a profit for Sony vs the cost of making the machine.

[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]You realize Microsoft gets a cut off of games sold for the X-Box, right? You realize Microsoft won't even let you sell your game to someone else and have it usable on the 720, right?But, you think they'll allow Sony games to run on their console, given that, and the fact they don't even know the precise hardware intricacies of the PS4, and don't have the development time left to do anything even if they did, considering they should be selling these machines in the near term. This isn't going to happen. No way.[/citation]

Did you think I implied Sony games run on XBOX? No, I said games that will work on both the Xbox and PC for one price would be pretty big advantage for the console. Games on both PC and 720 for the price of one, MS could easily set that up.

chibiwings

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
I wish they can recalculate the number of RRod Xbox360 and fully working till date.. i still have my 3 Dead Xbox360 at my closet.. and My Fat Ps3 is still alive and kicking.

And i hope that next PS will not be bombarded with generified FPS games.. and rehashed games... since it's now a PC architecture.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]chicofehr[/nom]2 things that are good about the PS4 for PC gamers. First is that it has 8 cores which inturn means that it might lead to more mufti threaded games. Most games only utilize a max of 3 cores which I think has something to do with the fact the Xbox 360 has 3 cores. Second is that it will obviously have to be programmed in 64bit which is good for PC gamers too. Consoles are holding gaming in the 32bit age so we need to progress.[/citation]

Err...the Atari Jaguar was 64-bits, so was N64. Dreamcast was the first 128-bit console, and so is PS2....but number of bits in CPU does not means better performance. It simply means extra registers to play around in the CPU. XBOX was 32-bit Pentium 3...but it ownz both PS2 and GameCube. Even PC's 64-bit games doesn't means it's better than their 32-bits counterpart. It simply means it can access > 4GB RAM....And no consoles to date have that much memory.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]chibiwings[/nom]So there's no point of buying consoles then.. PC all the way...[/citation]
Regardless the hardware, it's the software that counts. Consoles will still have exclusive. SONY/MS/Ninterndo will make sure of that, regardless if it's the same PC hardware inside. Furthermore, next gen consoles will bring features like better motion detection (Kinect 2). And this is not supported on a mass market yet on the PC.

chibiwings

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
Regardless the hardware, it's the software that counts. Consoles will still have exclusive. SONY/MS/Ninterndo will make sure of that, regardless if it's the same PC hardware inside. Furthermore, next gen consoles will bring features like better motion detection (Kinect 2). And this is not supported on a mass market yet on the PC.

I agree with you... consoles has more game genre i think...

[citation][nom]chibiwings[/nom]So there's no point of buying consoles then.. PC all the way...[/citation]

Even the most hardcore PC gamer can't deny a console are good devices.

All sorts of great built in media capabilities, an assortment of genres you won't find on PC, great for playing with friends kicking back on the couches. Consoles having become great little all in one entertainment systems that offer more than just gaming.

I am big on PC gaming, but even I can't deny consoles have many uses.

Hazle

Distinguished
*slow clapping*

so far, so good, Sony.

console exclusives. this is probably one of the only news on the next gen consoles i'm waiting for. chances are, despite the x86 platform, they're going to keep several game franchises for the consoles just to make it sell.

i am, however, keeping my hopes up & crossing my fingers that it'd be otherwise, relying on the consoles to sell on it's motion detection & touch features, PSN/PS Plus exclusive conents & services, share button or any other features that may come along for the PS4. Uncharted, Killzone, GoW, or any of SCE's future franchises playable with a mouse&keyboard on the PC along with their DLCs and i'll be more than happy to dish out $20-60 for it, not to say i won't buy the PS4 much later on though, once the prices drop.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
If the rumors/leaks are true, the Next Xbox is very similar to the PS4. x86 8 core AMD APU, but with a slightly less powerful GPU and slower DDR3 RAM. The leaked prices suggest it will be a good bit cheaper than the PS4 though. With both the PS4 and the Next Xbox on x86, I can see the PowerPC based WiiU getting passed over for multi-platform titles alot of the time. Nintendo just can't seem to get things right.

Status
Not open for further replies.