Sony Explains Why We Didn't See the PS4 Itself Last Night

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

groundrat

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
Bad marketing. They need to show something, even if it’s preliminary, to get our imaginations running. Later they can add features and options to keep it fresh, special edition boxes with graphics and other amenities are good for that. Sad, what passes for marketing at Sony these days.

k7mm

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
They didn't show the PS4 and my Wii U seems out of date already.

Well......it seemed out of date when I took it out of the box. :p

susyque747

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Used games, I read this "Sony will allow gamers to buy, sell, and trade used games, allowing them to be played on consoles besides their own."
MS is going draconian and will fail if they do. The next Crapbox will fail if they prevent used games.

susyque747

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
[citation][nom]redeemer[/nom]Lol AMD haters Sony and Microsoft made the decision to use AMD because it the best choice. Nvidia and Intel sucks for these kinds of applications so stop being butthurt![/citation]
I really think these big corporations sit down, smoke their $100 cigars while drinking rare vintage wines and make some of these discussions. Like both using the AMD chip to save AMD then programming will be easy for all the developers too. Then afterwards it's all cut throat in the media to keep us serfs in line.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
The biggest announcement anyone could make is that they are setting up their own dedicated server for every FPS game, and that it will be very secure. Anyone caught cheating will have their console permanently banned from all online play and the console will also be bricked and unusable. Furthermore, matchmaking will require a certain ping, so that players with horrible ping (ie over 50) will not be able to join any servers if they do not have a ping that can match that. Ping spoofers will also be banned and have their consoles bricked.

It's time a company took a real stand against cheaters and made a fair and level playing field for everyone. If I knew a company took a hard stand like what I mentioned above, I would buy their next gen console for $500.

From some of the stuff I've heard about Microsoft's new machine... rumors... I don't see one in my future. Integrated Kinnect, set up to identify the number of viewers while watching a movie (for the MPAA's benefit)... Forcing a new account AND not allowing used games... about the only rumor that sounds good about it is that it is adapting Blu-Ray. Rumors still exist about Sony doing the same when it comes to used games though.

I do wonder if the PS4 is 100% completed, or just 95% at this time without seeing one. I can see Sony also possibly not wanting the competition (MS, Nintendo, Steam, etc) to know too much, but to me it would seem to be better to hide technical points than to hide physical appearance.

[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]Anyone caught cheating will have their console permanently banned from all online play and the console will also be bricked and unusable. Furthermore, matchmaking will require a certain ping, so that players with horrible ping (ie over 50) will not be able to join any servers if they do not have a ping that can match that. Ping spoofers will also be banned and have their consoles bricked.It's time a company took a real stand against cheaters and made a fair and level playing field for everyone[/citation]

Intentional bricking of hardware by the manufacturer is a bit HARSH. Permanent Ban on the other hand isn't when it comes to cheaters and hackers.

Status
Not open for further replies.