Sony Introduces Extended Warranties for PS3, PSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

decepticon

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Walmart already offers a 3 year warranty for newly purchased PS3's for 19.99. Features immediate replacement for defective units...and this is after the initial manufacturer warranty runs out.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
$60 to not recover your data, hmm... I'm pretty sure the Best Buy geek-squad coverage is less than $60 and they'll probably try to recover it for you (or not, don't know, don't own a PS3). Anyway, this just seems like Sony wants to start making money off its own service plans, rather than letting retailers rake in all that extra cash. I don't recall any big complains about PS3 failures (unlike numerous from the X-Box 360), so it makes sense for Sony to offer meaningless protection plans. Besides, they can give you a replacement PS3 wholesale, so they recoup even more of that cash.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
I see this in my crystal ball.

Sony corporate Weasel 1 to Corporate Weasel 2. "Yields are really really bad, most PS3s will fail after 1.5 years"

Sony corporate Weasel 2 to Corporate Weasel 1. "How can we turn this into a profit gouging opportunity?!?!?"

Sony corporate Weasel 1 and Corporate Weasel 2 both look at each other. "Sell Extended Warranties!"

Sony corporate Weasel 1 "What's that? PS3 broke down?"
Sony corporate Weasel 2 "You should have got the extended warranty!"

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]Mine is waay out of warranty...Thankfully, even though it's a release day PS3 it is still runs great!I don't think a lot of XBOX 360 owners can say the same thing...[/citation]
I can.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]I can.[/citation]
Don't push your luck :p

I will not be getting the extended warranty mostly because the PS3 has a fairly low brick rate.

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I have had my PS3 since launch and use it nearly everyday. My 360 is like a cat, its on its 3rd life. I quit buying games on the 360 when I was stuck without a console and had a stack of games I couldn't play. I would have bought a warranty if offered when I bought my PS3 because it was a big purchase, but it would have been unnecessary.
Unfortunately because a companies product sucks people buy into warranties they might not use and the company with a bad reputation stands to profit from it. Kind of a catch 22.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
apart from the rare freeze up The PS3 has been pretty rock solid i have an old version and a new version not much of a noticeable difference other than the the lack of other OS support. but not like i needed that any way. and so far its only froze on demo's from the ps3 store.. if that says anything.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Jane, this news piece if of course for American and other markets, surely, right ?

In Europe we have a 2 year warranty for every consumer product.

Anyway, this warranty from Sony is disappoiting. We have stores here in Portugal that, if you pay that kind of money (in euros, of course), will give you a brand new product, an equivalent model if the one is no longer available, never a refurbished one.

I like Sony less and less each day.

now if sony will reverse there shipping policies by sending you a new system first and then you send your defective unit back to them. so you can transfer all you data (including copyrighted data) to the new PS3. i almost had to start assassins creed 2 from scratch twice because of Sony having to replace the bluray drive in my PS3.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
My PS3 died on me on the first year and I had to order a new lens to repair it. Hence I have played more PC games since (2 and a half years ago).

My PS3 died because I had a blu ray on pause for about 2 hours which in turn ruined my initial lens. I also know at least 3 other people that have had their ps3 lens fail on them so this would be a good option to pick up rather than buying an extra game.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]Mine is waay out of warranty...Thankfully, even though it's a release day PS3 it is still runs great!I don't think a lot of XBOX 360 owners can say the same thing...[/citation]
Microsoft fixed mine, out of warranty, for free. :)

Djhg2000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
I find this part particularly interesting; "All Product settings will be returned to the original factory default settings."

Notice that "original factory default settings" would mean if you send in a PS3 fat they would legally have to restore Linux compatibility, as the original factory default settings was to have a Linux option, or else you could sue them for not complying with their own terms!

How's THAT for a warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.