News Sony Introduces First PS5 Revision With "Cheaper" Construction

Apr 1, 2020
Going by GamersNexus' original thermal tests, every component except the bottom of the memory is relatively cool and nothing to worry about if they have the same thermal tolerances as modern desktop and mobile chips of 90°C. Assuming they have addressed the memory, which could be as simple as a redesigned inner panel to guide airflow over it, I don't see anything concerning.

temps.jpg

Reactions: VforV
I’m no expert on thermal dynamics, but wouldn’t a higher temp of exhaust indicate that more heat is existing the system all other things kept even?
Well all other things are not the same though.
There is less mass in the cooling but the same power draw which could mean that there is more heat generated in the system and that's why there is more heat coming out.

Just saying, of course we need more info and an expert to look at it.
Will wait for steve from gamers nexus to take one apart. (If he can find one)

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Well all other things are not the same though.
There is less mass in the cooling but the same power draw which could mean that there is more heat generated in the system and that's why there is more heat coming out.
If the power draw is the same then the heat generated is the same. Power and heat are essentially the same for most electronics

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I’m no expert on thermal dynamics, but wouldn’t a higher temp of exhaust indicate that more heat is existing the system all other things kept even?
Everything else the same, yes. But you'd have to look at air flow rate plus temperature (delta of exhaust vs intake) to figure out how much heat is being exhausted.

Assuming both models draw the same power, they will both exhaust the same amount of heat in steady state. But that doesn't necessarily tell you anything about what temperature they are both operating at.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
I'm sure GN and/or DF will eventually test this extensively and all will be cleared up, if it's better, worse or the same, for the user.

I doubt Sony made it worse, but they did clearly cut costs. The mistake they did is not coming 1st with this news and explain the modifications and show the temps and that there is nothing to worry about.

Without doing this, they are 100% at fault for this bad PR that their adversaries, thru influencers and shills (Like Austin, which is known to be pro-Xbox) have take advantage and done exactly that: a superficial, non-professional test to discredit Sony and PS5. But again it's 100% Sony's fault for this happening, they gave them free ammunition.

If the power draw is the same then the heat generated is the same. Power and heat are essentially the same for most electronics
Yeah but the heat absorption/transfer rate and so on of the cooler changes things.
You do not have the raw APU dishing out the heat, if aluminum heats up 5 degrees more then you will have 5 degrees more heat.
And I'm in no way sure that's the case I'm just saying that it could be a factor.

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019

That's what I think. More heat is leaving through the exhaust, so less heat needs to leave by natural convection through the case. The new cooling solution is superior.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
What is aluminum? The fins or the base plate? The fins are always aluminum, only the copper heat pipes and not sure if it was a vapor chamber used in the past or just a normal copper base plate. In any case, it is quite strange if the new base plate is aluminum because this metal cannot work with liquid metal. So may be Sony also stopped using LM as its TIM.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
The APU is in 6nm instead of 7 of the original
Even if that is the case, I don't recall N6 delivering any improvements in thermal/ power efficiency. On TSMC's site, it cited that higher density as one of the key benefits,

https://www.tsmc.com/english/dedicatedFoundry/technology/logic/l_7nm

Even if there is some benefit from a power efficiency standpoint, I don't think it is going to be a material one that allows it to drop cooling that substantially. I do agree with DF that the simpler heatsink array may allow better airflow. But not sure if it can compensate for the substantial lost in surface area to soak up heat.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
That's what I think. More heat is leaving through the exhaust, so less heat needs to leave by natural convection through the case. The new cooling solution is superior.
It's not, which is why they are using a new fan to blow out more air. The new fan design compensates for the smaller heatsink. More heatsink mass is always better and in the case of the launch units, they were over engineered and Sony went with a fan that removed less air for a more quiet operation which was a big complaint for the Playstation 4 consoles. The PS4 could sound like a jet taking off. I bought a PS4 launch, PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro. They will get loud depending on the game, you are playing.

The XBOX One was real quiet and Sony designed the launch PS5's with a much larger heatsink to draw more heat and use a fan that was quieter. That said both the launch and revised PS5's should both be reliable.

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
It's not, which is why they are using a new fan to blow out more air. The new fan design compensates for the smaller heatsink.

If more air is being blown out and that air is hotter, then a lot more heat is being removed by active cooling. The need for passive cooling is correspondingly less. It's silly to desire a bigger heatsink, which would only dump heat into the air inside the case.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
If more air is being blown out and that air is hotter, then a lot more heat is being removed by active cooling. The need for passive cooling is correspondingly less. It's silly to desire a bigger heatsink, which would only dump heat into the air inside the case.
This is what Digital Foundry had to say about that. "The final theory - which is perhaps somewhat less plausible - is that a smaller heatsink based on materials with a lower overall thermal conductivity has been redesigned in such a way to make it more efficient."

All the reviews on the redesigned PS5 are in unison that the launch model runs cooler, was over engineered and is the better unit.