Sony Optiarc: Maneuvering Blu-ray Through the Crisis

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

old_newbie

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
CDs are outdated. Move on. I'd rather download a movie or game anyways.

Agreed. This seems to be trend of the industry now. HD content streaming/DL'ing directly to your entertainment device/HDD over the internet (Ex. LG is producing HDTV's with Netflix HD movie streaming built in).

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
i remember when the main plus of HD-DVDs was that they could be made using the same stuff as DVDs where as blurays couldn't. Good to see that blurays too are now as easy to make as HD-DVDs were, effectively canceling out the one good thing HD-DVDs had going for them. not that i mean to make a HD-DVD hate post at this late stage, i just mean that its good that they haven't gotten too lazy after winning the war.

G

Consumer burnable optical discs be it CD or DVD fails for they are manufactured to be chemically simulating the laser dynamics of true press-mastered discs, thus very very poor backup choices for long term (3+ months) so if the same thing is still stick with Blu-Ray expect me to be adopting them only when what here today gone in the way of 8-track and vinyl. If you don't believe me, then you haven't seen a disc being stored in open room; those must be stored in air-tight (uh exaggerated) closed cupboard.

I hope one of those special DVD making process does take form from academics to some true use. One of them is already beating Blu-Ray amount to a pulp. It would be ideal if the same super DVD disc, if put to a standard player it goes standard def, but into an HD player goes HD.

TheZander

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
You ignorant naysayers and Sony haters can rate me down all you like, but you're full of crap and need to get off your freaking soap boxes. I try and make an educated post with some good ideas and good technical information that's backed up not only by data from others but my own SEVEN YEARS of experience in the video editing industry, and you start rating me down.

"Blu-ray media like all commercial optical media will have a 50+year shelf life. The media format can be either MO or WORM. A long shelf life with WORM capabilities make this media perfect for archiving of mandatory compliant data, Medical Images, Video, Document Imaging and number of other near line archival uses. Because of Blu-ray random access capabilities it is also better suited for small files than our tape technology libraries."

http://www.optical.com/optical_storage/blu-ray.php

Blu ray disc manufacturers such as TDK also put very solid anti-scratch coating on the discs which also improves durability. I'm sure some of you have had problems with blu-ray and other optical media, but it's nowhere NEAR as unreliable as mechanical hard disks. Rate me down all you want. I know my facts. Are there crappy discs? Yes. Do research and try and buy good ones - Taiyoo Yuden are said to be very good. Many companies make discs that test out at 30 yrs plus. Some of the cheap crap we buy at stores doesn't last two years, like some have said, but I stand by my post, and those who rate my above post down show just how little they know.

Why do I even bother trying to be helpful and informative here. You guys would rather have a Sony-hate party and drink your own negativistic piss. Be my guests.

Status
Not open for further replies.